Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2017 Releases

Casey

Personally, I think the Magnum 500's just look right on Chargers. If I close my eyes and imagine a Charger that's what it'll have. 

Well, being a kid of the '60's-'70's, I can remember this car when it was new. Either steelies or the Magnums would suit me just fine as that's how I saw most of them on the road. Vectors aren't bad wheels............I'm just not crazy about them on a Charger. ;)

OH - 

it just occurred to me that I may have come across as if I were asking you to SHOOT all that stuff!

Nonononono. That was a commentary on how I hope Revell finishes the kit.  Seriously, thanks for sorting out everything that you did!

Not a problem.  I live 11 miles from their HQ at the moment.  In October it will be 2100 miles.  And, they often come to club meetings with "stuff" to show.  It was better in the IHOBBY days, because I could get a lot of photos and info to share.  But, times are different now.  

So is the "Yenko" Corvette.  Whitewalls are tampo-printed, which is a nice touch I guess, if whitewalls are your sort of thing.  Includes Baldwin-Motion parts for the 2nd option.  Nice to see the standard big-block hood return for the first time in many years.  First time it's been molded in white, IIRC.  Luggage rack is new, and I've noticed that same rack on a bunch of muscle-era cars, including Chargers.  Whitewalls + luggage rack is a pretty stodgy look for a Vette, but this does replicate a real car, a survivor L71 originally sold by Yenko Chevrolet (whoever built that boxtop model should've blacked out the rocker panel B)) . 

rmx4411__02902.1492452681.1280.1280.jpg?

rmx4411a__63851.1492452681.1280.1280.jpg

rmx4411b__52540.1492452680.1280.1280.jpg

rmx4411c__62361.1492452681.1280.1280.jpg

corp-1004-01%2b1969-chevrolet-corvette%2

So is the "Yenko" Corvette.  Whitewalls are tampo-printed, which is a nice touch I guess, if whitewalls are your sort of thing.  Includes Baldwin-Motion parts for the 2nd option.  Nice to see the standard big-block hood return for the first time in many years.  First time it's been molded in white, IIRC.  Luggage rack is new, and I've noticed that same rack on a bunch of muscle-era cars, including Chargers.  Whitewalls + luggage rack is a pretty stodgy look for a Vette, but this does replicate a real car, a survivor L71 originally sold by Yenko Chevrolet (whoever built that boxtop model should've blacked out the rocker panel B)) . 

rmx4411__02902.1492452681.1280.1280.jpg?

Brett, are those new tires? (they seem to differ from the old Monogram Goodyear GT Radials)

Edited by Luc Janssens

Brett, are those new tires? (they seem to differ from the old Monogram Goodyear GT Radials)

I'll check (if I have any left tomorrow) but I think they're the same old GT Radials. I think the yellow car was maybe built from an old issue with lettering and they turned them around. The back side always had a weird step where the tread meets the sidewall. It's one Revellogram tire that I'm glad got wiped clean, I never could make those raised outlines look good! 

Yep, they're the Monogram GT Radials

Luggage rack is molded in one piece, which saves having to glue chrome to chrome like on the one in AMT's 1972 Vette

Decal sheet is really nice, they even made an attempt at the backup lights and trim rings on the taillights. (26 & 27)

All in all a very welcome reissue to a C3 junkie like me! 

Thanks, Brett. Will definitely pick this kit up. 

The decals do look good. Was pleasantly surprised by how nice the new sheet in the Fast & Furious issue of the Yenko Camaro was too. Big upgrade over the original Hot Rod-issue sheet, and that one wasn't bad to start with.

Lousy QC on those whitewalls...

Yeah, Revell doesn't have the best track record with tampo printed tires.  I don't know why they get it so wrong while Round 2 gets it so right.   I'm sure they'll replace bad ones.  

Are both style hood included?

Yep, two hoods.  Standard big-block hood and Baldwin-Motion style.  My only real gripe with the kit is that I think they should have done the L88 hood instead of the BM (the L88 engine parts are in there) so I can do the ZL1.   

corvette-zl1-7.jpg

Yeah, Revell doesn't have the best track record with tampo printed tires.  I don't know why they get it so wrong while Round 2 gets it so right.   I'm sure they'll replace bad ones.  

Yep, two hoods.  Standard big-block hood and Baldwin-Motion style.  My only real gripe with the kit is that I think they should have done the L88 hood instead of the BM (the L88 engine parts are in there) so I can do the ZL1.   

Oh, I LIKE that '67 Stinger hood. Does the roadster kit have the L88 hood? I don't remember. If it does, maybe we can work out some kind of swap. B)

corvette-zl1-7.jpg

The L88 hood has been issued in all the Revell 427 kits so not too hard to find.

Image result for revell 427 corvette scalematesImage result for revell 427 corvette scalematesImage result for revell 427 corvette scalematesImage result for revell 427 corvette scalematesImage result for revell 427 corvette

The L88 hood has been issued in all the Revell 427 kits so not too hard to find.

Oh, I LIKE that '67 Stinger hood. Does the roadster kit have the L88 hood? I don't remember. If it does, maybe we can work out some kind of swap. B)

Yeah, all the 68 roadsters have had the L88 plus the last (California Wheels) issue of the 69 coupe.  It may have been an alternate in other coupe issues but I'm not 100% sure.  The normal big block hood is rarer, only two boxings have had it, the original "429" red coupe and in yellow in one of the 3-kit sets.   

I actually have all the parts collected for a ZL1 somewhere in the stash, just wanted an OOTB ZL1 finally.  They've never had the right combination of hood, sidepipes, wheels and mustache stripe at the same time.   When I get one after our regular stock comes in in a couple weeks (I have to pay full price if I buy an RPP kit) we'll set up a trade, it's always good to have options. 

Yeah, all the 68 roadsters have had the L88 plus the last (California Wheels) issue of the 69 coupe.  It may have been an alternate in other coupe issues but I'm not 100% sure.  The normal big block hood is rarer, only two boxings have had it, the original "429" red coupe and in yellow in one of the 3-kit sets.   

The yellow street machine-only version of the '68 roadster from the 1988 Ultra Rods three-car set didn't include the L88 hood, but otherwise think you're correct that it was in all the other issues (of the '68 roadster kit).

Edited by Don Sikora II