Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2017 Releases

Casey

The tiny two rotor couldn't pass me going across a mile stretch on a bridge, but it was never more than two car lengths behind the whole time. I'd say we were going at least 120+ MPH and I was quite surprised as I never knew they could move that fast! :o

There's some amazing history around Mazda and the Wankel. The very first outing of the Rotary, when it was still brand-new and basically a prototype engine, was the 1968 Marathon de Route race at the Nurburgring. That race was an 84-hour - yes, EIGHTY-FOUR HOUR! - endurance run with no stops. The cars ran continuously for 3 1/2 days.

Mazda entered 2 rotary-powered Cosmo Sports, driven by 1 Japanese and 1 Belgian team.  The Japanese team broke a rear axle after 82 hours, which must have been heart-breaking.  The Belgian team finished in 4th place, behind Porsches and Alfa-Romeos.  Those little engines were plenty fast and rugged too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Cosmo

Two points of order...

1) IF the Suburban is an entirely new tool - aka not based on the existing pickup chassis & running gear with a new body and interior (someone more fluent in GM can probably point out whether or not the wheelbases are even the same to begin with) - then there have to be multiple versions of it coming.  Revell doesn't do anything (Foose custom kits aside) that only has one variant.

As I understand from Revell, the Suburban is new, but uses the designs of the 65 stepside pickup for the chassis and suspension.  Wheelbase for the short bed/Stepside is the same as the Suburban, 115 inches (excluding special variants).  Also, as already noted here, the majority of Suburbans were 2 wheel drive and Revell was unable to justify doing a 4 wheel drive for this.  I did mention, as an example, that the majority of C7's sold, thus far, are Z06's, but Revell did a standard C7, but that didn't get very far.  A standard C7 was what they had to measure.

So, in essence, this is the follow on to their 64, 65, 66 pickups previously issued. 

Remember, as they have iterated to me several times in interviews, parts trees are built into each mold for a model.  They may benefit from the design of the parts, e.g. suspension, frame and engine, but they need to design it into the new mold.  If over 50% of a previous kit is redesigned, it is considered a new tool.  Otherwise it is a modified reissue.  If no changes to the mold, but possible changes to box art, instructions or decals, it is usually considered a reissue.

As I understand from Revell, the Suburban is new, but uses the designs of the 65 stepside pickup for the chassis and suspension.  Wheelbase for the short bed/Stepside is the same as the Suburban, 115 inches (excluding special variants).  Also, as already noted here, the majority of Suburbans were 2 wheel drive and Revell was unable to justify doing a 4 wheel drive for this.  I did mention, as an example, that the majority of C7's sold, thus far, are Z06's, but Revell did a standard C7, but that didn't get very far.  A standard C7 was what they had to measure.

So, in essence, this is the follow on to their 64, 65, 66 pickups previously issued. 

Remember, as they have iterated to me several times in interviews, parts trees are built into each mold for a model.  They may benefit from the design of the parts, e.g. suspension, frame and engine, but they need to design it into the new mold.  If over 50% of a previous kit is redesigned, it is considered a new tool.  Otherwise it is a modified reissue.  If no changes to the mold, but possible changes to box art, instructions or decals, it is usually considered a reissue.

Nothing wrong with the '64-'66 pickup kits frame, suspension and drivetrain anyways.  Doing the least to get the most - like the Yenko version of the late 80s tooled '69 Vette is just smart business.  Cutting corners on the other hand tends to be their worst foe.

Nothing wrong with the '64-'66 pickup kits frame, suspension and drivetrain anyways.  Doing the least to get the most - like the Yenko version of the late 80s tooled '69 Vette is just smart business.  Cutting corners on the other hand tends to be their worst foe.

What I recall from the 64-66 kit , is the frame and suspension/ drivetrain was decently done.

What I recall from the 64-66 kit , is the frame and suspension/ drivetrain was decently done.

It is.  I have a couple of 64's and 65's in the basement stash.  But, as stated, it would have been nice to have a 4 wheel drive.  I don't offhand know, but am wondering if the AMT Blazer 4x4 is similar enough and could fit?

It is.  I have a couple of 64's and 65's in the basement stash.  But, as stated, it would have been nice to have a 4 wheel drive.  I don't offhand know, but am wondering if the AMT Blazer 4x4 is similar enough and could fit?

It's a leaf spring front end so it's pretty close.

Based on my glue bomb, it is a full detail kit.  As an previous owner of an 82 RX-7 it was a very good match.  We loved that car but with a family increase about 1986 there just wasn't any place for a infant car seat with 2 adult passengers.  Little known fact: that car got 19 mpg, period.  City driving, combined with freeway, long distance trips: 19 mpg.  Saw it a couple of years later while being owned by a young gal (25+/- years old).  Had dents/scrapes where none were there before, unwashed.  Brought a tear to the eye.

Edited by The Junkman

Two points of order...

1) IF the Suburban is an entirely new tool - aka not based on the existing pickup chassis & running gear with a new body and interior (someone more fluent in GM can probably point out whether or not the wheelbases are even the same to begin with) - then there have to be multiple versions of it coming.  Revell doesn't do anything (Foose custom kits aside) that only has one variant.

2) The old Monogram RX-7 is the ONLY full detail "correct scale" 1st Gen RX-7 kit out there.  The Tamiya one was 1/20, and the Aoshima & Fujimi kits are based off ancient Imai and Nitto tools respectively that were actually designed to represent a RX-7 that was entered into the 24 Hours of Daytona in the late 70s, and the subsequent street kits are nothing more than those bodies - flares and everything still molded on - with new interiors crammed into old motorized tooling chassis plates.

Your comments about the Aoshima first generation RX-7 are absolutely correct - the body is shaped nicely for some of the first gen racers, but the interior is very shallow to accommodate the battery pack since the kit was motorized.  I've yet to get my hands on the Fujimi version, but like you, I think it is the same. 

As for the Tamiya kit, it is 1/24, and was released as both a Series I (SA, molded in green) and Series III (FB, molded in white) first Generation RX-7.  The SA version included "waffle" wheels, like the Monogram kit and the FB included the bizarre rotor shaped wheels that were a Japanese market only item.  The SA & FB nomenclature refers to the beginning two digits of the VIN's.  Both of the Tamiya releases are as scarce as hen's teeth now.  I have both of the Tamiya kits and have compared them to the Monogram kit - the wheel wells line up exactly.  The Monogram kit builds into a series II first generation RX-7, US spec, with left hand drive and a beautiful little rotary engine.  I'm happy to see this kit come out again.  Of course, I'm a bit biased. :)

The page for RX-7 kit information ... right here Erix's page is full of great information about these and other RX-7 kits.

Edited by Jonathan

I'm looking forward to the Surburban,but the 69'vette makes no sense to me,couldn't you just take the yenko decals off the 69'camaro and take the luggage rack off the AMT 72'vette convertible and voila!69'Yenko vette?.

There you go, making sense again. You'll NEVER get anywhere in this hobby with sound, logical thinking like that. B):D

I'm looking forward to the Surburban,but the 69'vette makes no sense to me,couldn't you just take the yenko decals off the 69'camaro and take the luggage rack off the AMT 72'vette convertible and voila!69'Yenko vette?.

Makes no sense to have to take parts from three kits to make one version...and the Camaro Yenko stripes probably wouldn't fit a Corvette...

Well, since your point was that Camaro stripes wouldn't fit the Corvette, whereas a little emblem will, yes, there is a difference.

The original poster said decals, so I thought stripes...anyway, it's interesting to have another variation of the Revell '68-69 Corvette...

Well as we're repeatedly told anytime we dare point out a Revell error, we're not the market for Revell's products, they sell to a casual weekend builder.  Who isn't going to have a Yenko Camaro and OOP AMT Corvette to pilfer for a luggage rack and decals.  They'd want those decals for their build of said Camaro anyway.  We all have deep parts bins or kits we're willing to "sacrifice" for the greater good, but then I don't recall ever seeing a Yenko Corvette being built anyways.

Well as we're repeatedly told anytime we dare point out a Revell error, we're not the market for Revell's products, they sell to a casual weekend builder.  Who isn't going to have a Yenko Camaro and OOP AMT Corvette to pilfer for a luggage rack and decals.  They'd want those decals for their build of said Camaro anyway.  We all have deep parts bins or kits we're willing to "sacrifice" for the greater good, but then I don't recall ever seeing a Yenko Corvette being built anyways.

I'm pretty heavily into late-'60s Chevy muscle, and I'd never HEARD of a '69 Yenko Corvette before this thread. :o

Near as I can tell, it's not really a "thing." It's just a nice yellow '69 427 Vette coupe with Rallys and a luggage rack and a couple Yenko badges on it. Rah-rah.

I'll probably buy one, though. Definitely will if it's molded in yellow for my Polished Plastic collection. Also definitely will if it also has the B-M '67 Stinger hood included.

I'm pretty heavily into late-'60s Chevy muscle, and I'd never HEARD of a '69 Yenko Corvette before this thread. :o

Near as I can tell, it's not really a "thing." It's just a nice yellow '69 427 Vette coupe with Rallys and a luggage rack and a couple Yenko badges on it. Rah-rah.

I'll probably buy one, though. Definitely will if it's molded in yellow for my Polished Plastic collection. Also definitely will if it also has the B-M '67 Stinger hood included.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the molded in yellow part, I don't recall the '69 Vette being molded in color since the original one was done in Orange.

Yenko Chevrolet was the Corvette Performance Center for Pittsburgh, so they sold boat loads of Corvettes.  But they went out the front door of the dealership like any other car, rather than the "S/C Division" that made all the Novas, Corvairs, and Camaros.  That's why finding an all original "Yenko Corvette" is so hard (as stated in the article linked back on Page 1) because no specific records exist of the Corvette sales.  Revell could have made a Yenko '68 Convertible, or a '62 Corvette or whatever, but the '69 hasn't been in the American catalog for awhile (it's in the active RevellAG one ironically), so a decal change and a luggage rack and *POOF* - Step 3 PROFIT!  Being that it still says 2n1, it should still have the B/M hood in it, and is probably a straight reissue of the California Wheels kit - with new decals and luggage rack.  I'll probably get one since the hamfisted the front suspension in half as a teenager back in the early 90s, and I skipped that Cali Wheels reissue.

Okay,i wasn't expecting my comment to start anything,i just find it hard to spend at least $35+ dollars for this kit in Canada for just 3 decals and a luggage rack,if they throw in some extra's like the factory sidepipes and a alternate hood....maybe.:)

Okay. After reading the above article, what's the big deal behind a Yenko Corvette? This just sound like a regular Corvette you could have gotten through any other Chevy dealer at the time. It was not a specially modified, Yenko SC car, like their special Camaros, Novas, or Chevelles. Or Corvairs and Vegas for that matter. It's just a regular Corvette sold through Yenko Chevrolet. So is a Caprice, or for that matter, a Chevette sold through Yenko Chevrolet any more special or collectible as one sold at another dealer? This does not seem like a big deal to me. What am I missing?

Oh. By the way. I may buy the kit. Not because it's a "Yenko" car. But, because I like '69 Corvettes. And from what I remember Revell's '69 Corvette is a pretty good kit. And I may even put the Yenko dealership decal on the back. But, I still say this car is not a special model like the SC cars.