Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2017 Releases

Casey

I am not 100% sure on this, but Grafting the front clip of the AMT 60 Pickup to the

Revell 66 Suburban Should give you a good looking (Correct?) 60 Suburban

The 60 is the same basic shape & design as the 64-66 series to my eye at least!!

You would need to also swap the windshield and a-pillars.   '60-63 Chevy trucks had the wrap-around windshield that the '64-66 did not.

Edited by Rob Hall

I'm pretty certain the front fenders are the same '60-'66, but the hood was changed for '62.  The '62 hood was designed by Tom Daniel during the brief period where he worked for GM.  That's probably why he later used the '62-'66 front clip when he created the S'cool Bus for Monogram.

As much as a 4X4 of the Suburban would be cool, and I hope it does come later, the stock or 2wd, i think is a more common version for everyday type of vehicles. Service, Push/Pit truck and family truckster. 

I know it is not the same year or make, other than GM, but this is what I have in mind for it. 

Image result for Don Garlits Suburban

How sweet would a GMC version be ! If that exclusive "big block" V6 was replicated properly , I'm sure that that would be its biggest selling point .

L

Looking at this auction here on eBay, I see an open hood and on the box art, the RX-7 is showing an engine. I've never had this kit, so I may pick one up. I do know that those RX-7's are MIGHTY fast as I can remember having a street match with a late '70's one with my '69 AMX many years ago.

The tiny two rotor couldn't pass me going across a mile stretch on a bridge, but it was never more than two car lengths behind the whole time. I'd say we were going at least 120+ MPH and I was quite surprised as I never knew they could move that fast! :o

Other cool thing about the Mazda, other than an engine in it. is that it is in 1/24th and thus we can use some of the nice wheel set ups from Asian kits and the Turbo Rotary from the Tamiya kits! 

Image result for mazda rx-7 first generation

Two points of order...

1) IF the Suburban is an entirely new tool - aka not based on the existing pickup chassis & running gear with a new body and interior (someone more fluent in GM can probably point out whether or not the wheelbases are even the same to begin with) - then there have to be multiple versions of it coming.  Revell doesn't do anything (Foose custom kits aside) that only has one variant.

2) The old Monogram RX-7 is the ONLY full detail "correct scale" 1st Gen RX-7 kit out there.  The Tamiya one was 1/20, and the Aoshima & Fujimi kits are based off ancient Imai and Nitto tools respectively that were actually designed to represent a RX-7 that was entered into the 24 Hours of Daytona in the late 70s, and the subsequent street kits are nothing more than those bodies - flares and everything still molded on - with new interiors crammed into old motorized tooling chassis plates.

Edited by niteowl7710

Two points of order...

1) IF the Suburban is an entirely new tool - aka not based on the existing pickup chassis & running gear with a new body and interior (someone more fluent in GM can probably point out whether or not the wheelbases are even the same to begin with) - then there have to be multiple versions of it coming.  Revell doesn't do anything (Foose custom kits aside) that only has one variant.

2) The old Monogram RX-7 is the ONLY full detail "correct scale" 1st Gen RX-7 kit out there.  The Tamiya one was 1/20, and the Aoshima & Fujimi kits are based off ancient Imai and Nitto tools respectively that were actually designed to represent a RX-7 that was entered into the 24 Hours of Daytona in the late 70s, and the subsequent street kits are nothing more than those bodies - flares and everything still molded on - with new interiors crammed into old motorized tooling chassis plates.

Sorry, I was talking about the second gen RX-7 as a possible engine donor. 

Image result for tamiya savanna rx7

Sorry, I was talking about the second gen RX-7 as a possible engine donor. 

Image result for tamiya savanna rx7

I was speaking to the earlier post that was calling the Monogram kit a curbside, as ironically it's the only full detail kit available. Also, yes being a Monogram kit in 1/24 it does make the engine out of the 2nd or 3rd Gen RX-7s much easier to deal with...

Edited by niteowl7710

I was just curious if this is a new addition to the Revell release Luc. I don't remember them in the earlier releases from Revell

There isn't one shown on the parts layout from the most recent California Wheel kit that was reboxed as RevellAG and then reimported here - those kits have parts runner "maps" like all foreign kits and I don't see one.  The stock wheels and the hood are still in the kit.  Be interesting if they include the luggage rack then - I mean that flyer shows one on that built example.

I was speaking to the earlier post that was calling the Monogram kit a curbside, as ironically it's the only full detail kit available. Also, yes being a Monogram kit in 1/24 it does make the engine out of the 2nd or 3rd Gen RX-7s much easier to deal with...

Correct indeed, I would like to know how the body compares to the Tamiya curbside version. I have not seen one  of the Tamiya Savanna kits in some time. 

Perhaps, but it would be more preferable to have it be a 4WD since you could use parts from the '64/'65 pickups to make it a 2WD, and vice versa.

I don't know if you are up on what's cool in the street world, but suburbans are quite popular with the street rod guys too, and I bet that I've seen 50 two wheel drive suburbans to every four wheel drive version, in fact when I worked in the logging woods in the late '60s all of our new "crummies" (chev Suburbans) were two wheel drive ones. So I think that in terms of what would sell the most kits to the general public I'd bet on the two wheel drive version.

I don't know if you are up on what's cool in the street world, but suburbans are quite popular with the street rod guys too, and I bet that I've seen 50 two wheel drive suburbans to every four wheel drive version, in fact when I worked in the logging woods in the late '60s all of our new "crummies" (chev Suburbans) were two wheel drive ones. So I think that in terms of what would sell the most kits to the general public I'd bet on the two wheel drive version.

I've read that less than 5% of Suburbans of the '60-66 generation were 4WD.... I've seen a few neat slammed customized 'burbans around here and in So Cal, this kit has lots of potential for that style..

The wheels pictured on the Model King box are pretty close to what was on the 1:1 car, but nowhere near what was in the kit.  The kit's chassis and engine are all wrong for the 1:1, but the Anglia body makes the kit worthwhile.

I don't think those wheels were in the Model King issue; the box art on some MK releases showed parts that weren't in the box. 

the box art on the Model King release WAS the kit, they used a built model to do the box art, that was common practice for the Model King kits, no surprises about what was in the box that way.

I think the panel truck would be fairly straightforward.  (Of course I have said that about other projects that weren't)  I am looking at pictures of 1960 Suburbans, wondering how hard it is going to be to graft the '66 roofline onto the '60 AMT Pickup.  Hopefully, AMT sees fit to drop a reissue of that to coincide with the Revell release.  

It looks like the back half will work out with just a few tweaks.  The front part is going to take some work.  The front side windows and trim will have to be retained from the '60 pickup, while the rest of the body should be okay from the '66.  Either way, it will take a bit of cutting, and I don't think the contours of the '60 and '66 roofs are going to match, looking at the two pickup models.  

If the 'Burban is compatible with the existing pickups, then the '64 and '65 versions will be easy.  

You can get REALLY close cutting both kits along the top just below the drip rail along the door gap and follow the cut down the door gap at the back of the doors too, then use the '60 pickup front clip and the '66 'burban rear parts.

Other cool thing about the Mazda, other than an engine in it. is that it is in 1/24th and thus we can use some of the nice wheel set ups from Asian kits and the Turbo Rotary from the Tamiya kits! 

Image result for mazda rx-7 first generation

You read my mind, with all the really well tooled 1/24 aftermarket customizing options like rims, bodykits, etc. there's a world of variety just waiting to be linked. I gotta admit, I'm stocked about a newer release of the Corvette and especially the '66 Suburban but man, the RX7 is gonna be fantastic to see what folks end up doing with it.

Edited by echoxrayniner

the box art on the Model King release WAS the kit, they used a built model to do the box art, that was common practice for the Model King kits, no surprises about what was in the box that way.

But some of the details of the model didn't match what was in the box.  The kit never had a filled-in grille area as is shown on the box art model, and the wheels shown on the built model weren't in the box either.

It's great to see vintage SUVs getting some attention...with the Bronco and now the Suburban...who knows, if they sell well, maybe we will see some classic Jeeps tooled up..I'd love to see a '60s Wagoneer, '70s Cherokee Chief, '80s Grand Wagoneer w/ the woodgrain, or a compact XJ Cherokee...

Edited by Rob Hall

So if they do the 2 wheel drive Suburban first only people that want to build a station wagon will buy it. (I am not saying anything bad about them as I think they are cool.) The models and different versions are endless with just the 2 wheel drive. Now if they wait for a year or two and release a 4 wheel drive version then they will open another selection of Suburban models and the parts for people to build 4 wheel drive trucks. Makes sense to me, if the 4 wheel drive comes out first some people will buy one kit and swap the drive train and not buy the extra kit.