Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to pronounce Porsche

On 12/10/2016 at 6:44 PM, Snake45 said:

Here in America, we speak (many flavors of) American English. Have you noticed, for example, that the British almost never pronounce the letter R, unless it's at the beginning of a word? The word "world" is pronounced by a Brit "wuld." I've often wondered why they even keep the letter in their alphabet, since they never use it. I don't say "He was one of the great leaders of the wuld" just because I happen to be talking about Winston Churchill. B):D

Because if you removed the R out of World you'd end up with Wold, in Britain it means a piece of High,Open uncultivated land or Moor.

Edited by GeeBee

8 hours ago, vintagerpm said:

Why does the US media promounce the country of Qattar as "Cutter" when everyone I know in the oil business (awl bidness) who's been to the Middle East (including Middle Easterners) promounces is "Kuh-tar".

Media people fall all over themselves to attempt to promounce Middle Eastern and Chinese place names "correctly" but don't give a darn about other places. They pronouce Paris as "Par-es" insead of "Parree"; Rome instead of Roma; and "Germany" instead of "Deutchland". When NBC presented the the Winter Olympics from "Torino", Italy, the critics all went bonkers that Americans know the place as "Turin".

Similar problem as with Qattar exists with the pronunciation of Iran. There is certain group of American who pronounce it as "Ay-raq".

The other names are even more butchered in other languages.  I speak Polish, and Rome is "Rzym", Italia is "Włochy", Deutchland is "Niemcy" and Paris is "Paryż".  :D

On 12/10/2016 at 8:36 PM, Psychographic said:

The heck with Porsche, I want to know how to pronounce Worcestershire.:lol:

Well if you're German, replace the W with a V, they pronounce it Vorchestershire, I had great fun working in Germany learning there language and trying to teach a few @ V.A.G English....

On 12/10/2016 at 10:44 PM, dodgefever said:

Still, for years, Nestle was pronounced the same as the verb, now we're told it's "nes-lay". :rolleyes:

It was changed when the Swiss bought Mackintosh, the people who used to produce the Milky bar 

20210129_223133.jpg

ntCnoX4Onemico.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

2 hours ago, peteski said:

Similar problem as with Qattar exists with the pronunciation of Iran. There is certain group of American who pronounce it as "Ay-raq".

The other names are even more butchered in other languages.  I speak Polish, and Rome is "Rzym", Italia is "Włochy", Deutchland is "Niemcy" and Paris is "Paryż".  :D

I recall a couple of decades ago when Quatar started to become mentioned in the news more due to world events there was discussion among journalists as to what the proper pronunciation of the country's name should be.  I think they determined "cutter" to be more or less accurate.

But which is the correct pronunciation?  According to the linked discussion, pronunciation might vary from one Qatari to another.   https://frequentmiler.com/how-to-pronounce-qatar/

My mother was a Midwesterner, and pronounced "Italian" as eye-Tal-yun.  Makes one wonder if they came from Eye-tally?

And remember the old Ray Stevens song "Ahab The Arab", pronounced "Ay-hab the Ay-rab"?

And regarding the American pronunciation of "R", here in New England, many of us consider the letter "R" to be optional, similar to the old British dialects of settlers.

3 hours ago, Motor City said:

Renault ...

Ren-oh. 

It's fun to listen to the classic "Top Gear" host trio pronounce European car brands.  They tend to pronounce Peogeot as something close to "Purr-zho" while we in the US would say similar to "Poo-zho", though maybe one or two might say  "Pew-gee-ot".  :-)

1 hour ago, Brian Austin said:

Ren-oh. 

It's fun to listen to the classic "Top Gear" host trio pronounce European car brands.  They tend to pronounce Peogeot as something close to "Purr-zho" while we in the US would say similar to "Poo-zho", though maybe one or two might say  "Pew-gee-ot".  🙂

My mechanic friend who does the annual MVIs on my cars used to work at a Peugeot dealer.  He pronounces it "pig-let". 😁

Porkers. Love’em. 
Celica was name of Toyodas secretary, mother of a friend of mine. Cell-ah-ka is how they pronounced it. There isn’t an L in Japanese, so it comes out Ser-ah-ka. No idea why they put so many names with L’s on their cars. 
Sky-Rine, Coro-Ra, 

4 hours ago, keyser said:

Porkers. Love’em. 
Celica was name of Toyodas secretary, mother of a friend of mine. Cell-ah-ka is how they pronounced it. There isn’t an L in Japanese, so it comes out Ser-ah-ka. No idea why they put so many names with L’s on their cars. 
Sky-Rine, Coro-Ra, 

Not sure if it is a true story, but I heard that Mitsubishi Starion was supposed to be named Stallion. :)

Well, I just read the first page of this topic and couldn’t believe how quickly it went off the hook. Both ridiculous and funny.

My opinion: Anything that’s awesome deserves to be pronounced correctly... I mean, at least don’t butcher it! Porsh-uh is fair enough

From the high end bicycle industry there is an Italian company that produces some of the best components in the world... It’s called Campagnolo. I’ve only heard it pronounced correctly by people who are quite knowledgeable in the bicycle industry, and even some of them have it wrong. Anyone here care to have a crack at it?

Edited by Venom

Interestingly, Wikipedia has this to say:  "The Toyota Celica (Japanese: トヨタ セリカ) /ˈsɛlɪkə/ or /sɛˈliːkə/ is an automobile produced by Toyota from 1970 to 2006. The Celica name derives from the Latin word coelica meaning "heavenly" or "celestial". In Japan, the Celica was exclusive to the Toyota Corolla Store dealer chain."  So would it be more proper for us to pronounce it as the Japanese do, "Se-ri-ka"?  :-)

I would have thought Japanese manufacturers would have their own line of products with homegrown names, while the rest of the world would get the names like Celica and Corolla.  Apparently not?

5 minutes ago, Venom said:

Well, I just read the first page of this topic and couldn’t believe how quickly it went off the hook. Both ridiculous and funny.

My opinion: Anything that’s awesome deserves to be pronounced correctly... I mean, at least don’t butcher it! Porsh-uh is fair enough

From the high end bicycle industry there is an Italian company that produces some of the best components in the world... It’s called Campagnolo. I’ve only heard it pronounced correctly by people who are quite knowledgeable in the bicycle industry, and even some of them have it wrong. Anyone here care to have a crack at it?

Campan-yolo?

On 1/30/2021 at 10:01 AM, Brian Austin said:

I recall a couple of decades ago when Quatar started to become mentioned in the news more due to world events there was discussion among journalists as to what the proper pronunciation of the country's name should be.  I think they determined "cutter" to be more or less accurate.

But which is the correct pronunciation?  According to the linked discussion, pronunciation might vary from one Qatari to another.   https://frequentmiler.com/how-to-pronounce-qatar/

I have done a few trans Indian Ocean flights on Qattar Airlines in recent years.  The endless chest thumping promos when you are trying to watch the in flight entertainment pronounce it "Cutter" or even "cutta" if you like.  So I guess if they pronounce it that way, maybe we should? Most Aussies would say "Kuh- tar" but that's not what the airline says.

Cheers

Alan