Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to pronounce Porsche

Here in America, we speak (many flavors of) American English. Have you noticed, for example, that the British almost never pronounce the letter R, unless it's at the beginning of a word? The word "world" is pronounced by a Brit "wuld." I've often wondered why they even keep the letter in their alphabet, since they never use it. I don't say "He was one of the great leaders of the wuld" just because I happen to be talking about Winston Churchill. B):D

Not all Brits speak that way Snake, there's a huge variation in regional accents in the UK, unfortunately a lot of other countries think we all sound like someone from London.......not true.

Im from way down the south west of England, our accent pronounces there "R's" quite prominently.

Edited by Mr Stock

A classic Hollywood joke was Starlet #1 at a party, introducing herself as "Portia."  And Starlet #2 asking why her parents named her after a German car.

Hollywood's treatment of Southern accents has annoyed me for decades.  I was raised in Upstate South Carolina, Baja Appalachia, where most people are descended from the Scotch-Irish and some still use phrases straight out of Elizabethan times.  We don't talk anything like the people in Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA. But you wouldn't know that from most movies. And the one actor who absolutely cannot do a Southern accent is John Travolta.  He always sounds like a brain-damaged descendant of the bad guys in "Deliverance" (which was filmed not very far away from where I'm sitting and typing this). 

Whereas some English actors could do excellent Southern accents (Charles Laughton was great at it - check out Advise and Consent).

If you're familiar with the Chicago area accent, compare Dan Ackroyd in The Blues Brothers and Blues Brothers 2000 - in the sequel he's really "pushing" the accent hard compared to the original.

• 4 years later...

When the Korean company Hyundai first started selling cars in Australia, they had a TV ad imploring us all to "Say HI! to Hyundai", with the pronunciation being approximately High - oon - die.  Some years later all the TV ads began saying Hee-un-day.  Hard to get it right when the guys flogging them don't know which way to say it!

And throughout my childhood in Australia, it was always Nestles as in the verb..  An American acquaintance living here for  a few years challenged that, saying the ads back home always said Ness - lays.  A few years later, our TV ads changed to Ness Lays.  Again, hard to know when the company doesn't know!

Ahh, the peculiarities of language.  Don't even get started on Australian slang!

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alan barton

2 hours ago, alan barton said:

When the Korean company Hyundai first started selling cars in Australia, they had a TV ad imploring us all to "Say HI! to Hyundai", with the pronunciation being approximately High - oon - die.  Some years later all the TV ads began saying Hee-un-day.  Hard to get it right when the guys flogging them don't know which way to say it!

And throughout my childhood in Australia, it was always Nestles as in the verb..  An American acquaintance living here for  a few years challenged that, saying the ads back home always said Ness - lays.  A few years later, our TV ads changed to Ness Lays.  Again, hard to know when the company doesn't know!

Ahh, the peculiarities of language.  Don't even get started on Australian slang!

Cheers

Alan

Here, in my part of Canada it's always been Ness-lee's 🤨

Why does the US media promounce the country of Qattar as "Cutter" when everyone I know in the oil business (awl bidness) who's been to the Middle East (including Middle Easterners) promounces is "Kuh-tar".

Media people fall all over themselves to attempt to promounce Middle Eastern and Chinese place names "correctly" but don't give a darn about other places. They pronouce Paris as "Par-es" insead of "Parree"; Rome instead of Roma; and "Germany" instead of "Deutchland". When NBC presented the the Winter Olympics from "Torino", Italy, the critics all went bonkers that Americans know the place as "Turin".

Edited by vintagerpm

I have a life long friend who is native Italian and will tell that even though all native Italians speak the same basic language, he has friends that live within 75 miles of him in central Italy that he can barely understand due to regional accent variations. American accents also vary greatly by geographical area. It is a fact that the central Ohio region around Columbus is considered to be the most accent neutral part of the country. Many national TV news anchor people are sent there for voice training to eliminate regional hints to their location.

I go with what the manufacturer says (except for Jaguar) because they should know. (I was a bit miffed at "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist" this week when an architect offered to take her for a spin in his "Porsh.") It's not haughty to get it right.

Edited by sjordan2