Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Model A Roadster ArtDeco/Coachbuilt/Streamliner -DONE!

Impalow

Thank you guys!   Less than a week left and I feel fairly confident I'm gonna get this thing done.  I have the engine and the fender pods to attach.. and i'm still playing around with steering wheel designs... but that's basically it. 

Here are some highlights from the weekend:

Dash Complete-

Pedals added-

shift boot scupted from milliput-

exhaust made with brass hangers-

and exhaust installed-

Turned acrylic taillights-

and the main fuselage assembled-

Thank you guys!!  Im home stretching this one... I appreciate all the encouragement!

I got the engine in last night... boy that was fun... some major "ship-in-a-bottle" stuff going on here...  First of all it barely fit and then the engine is mounted with 4 straight pins, that I added micro o-rings to simulate rubber filled mounts...boy that was fun, all tweezer work trying not to scratch anything....oh well no one to blame but myself.... 

Once I'm done poking around in the engine compartment I'll add some photo-etched bolt heads to the pin heads..   fun stuff.

really is an example of what can happen when you add a mixture of; a well thought out plan, today's technology and the skill to put it all together.

when I was younger the idea "treat every part like a model" really stuck with me, and for anyone wondering why this thing looks so good, they just need to look at that shifter.. The tiny picture in my phone when you sent it to me didn't show the detail the picture on the computer shows. now I feel bad for not making a bigger deal out of it when you sent it to me :D

Of recently models that deserves to be in the Model Car Museum someday, this is certainly one of them. It  is also a design that I could imagine a very wealthy person wanting to have a full size replica built.

Thank you...That would be awesome!!!   both of those scenarios.. I actually was looking at the new steel model A roadster bodies the other day... making a real one would be feasible. 

really is an example of what can happen when you add a mixture of; a well thought out plan, today's technology and the skill to put it all together.

when I was younger the idea "treat every part like a model" really stuck with me, and for anyone wondering why this thing looks so good, they just need to look at that shifter.. The tiny picture in my phone when you sent it to me didn't show the detail the picture on the computer shows. now I feel bad for not making a bigger deal out of it when you sent it to me :D

Thanks pal!!   No one really expects a 6 piece shift lever.. haha..

I managed to get the radiator in last night, as well as a bunch of photo-etched bolt heads that help add some extra detail to the engine.

I have been playing with cutting clear material to make a clear steering wheel like the delahayes used.... Ive played around for over a week with layering different pieces with future, and Ive decided to just use one layer because it looks much cleaner.

Finally I turned the horn button and adapter on the lathe... hopefully I can get this all installed tonight.

Thank you guys!!!!  

Its done!    Which is incredibly rewarding and also sort of a bummer because I really enjoyed working on this one... But I'll move on to the next one, and try to top this.. :unsure:

Here are some teaser photos... Ill post some better ones "under glass" after the show this weekend.

Wowza!!Looking forward to seeing this in person at  Columbus this weekend.This has been a super build to follow with tons of inspiration and great high resolution photos.Thank you for spending all the extra time it takes to stage and take these pictures.