Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Model A Roadster ArtDeco/Coachbuilt/Streamliner -DONE!

Impalow

Question.When these lights are delivered from Shapeways are they ready to paint and install,and if you don't mind sharing,what do they cost?Thanks!

Hey Tom!   Sorry, I got some sort of nasty cold that has sidelined me for over a week here,  anyway...   

First off cost wise...   9.00 or 11.00 for a set.. plus shipping... 9.00 is Ultra detail and 11.00 Extreme detail (my photos show the extreme detail option) I know that's a bit pricey but...Full disclosure... shapeways sets the pricing on their parts and the shop owner can add markup...  I have less than a dollar of markup added to these parts.

Here is the purchase link: http://shpws.me/NE9J

As long as i don't lose or ruin one in trying to finish this project, I will have an extra set with me at Toledo for you to see in person. :)

The first picture i posted is straight out of the bag from shapeways:

A4B8F919-BD50-4EFE-917A-71CE76889EC8.jpg

They have some rough texture to them, and they have a molded in joiner block on the bottom.   I was able to cut that off with a pullback saw, and then drill the mounting post for a pin.  It was at this point i decided to just shoot them with primer.. since the frosted material is hard to see the texture.  this is just primer and no sanding

E63B9476-C7C6-4AB8-B381-941F16218E1B.jpg

F15AE63E-3F68-47DE-AF22-C8953830A50F.jpg

After letting the primer dry I sanded them with some 400grit paper, and then reapplied primer. This photo shows where they are now.... i'm predicting one more light sand and prime and they will be ready for alclad.

8DFF232D-5033-48D4-8B58-33F831FE5F5A.jpg

Edited by Impalow

I become more stunned with every step. Have you given any more thought to the color of this? It sort of screams for something out of the ordinary.

Sorry Eric your question got lost there...  I have some deep non-metallic maroon/burgundy base-coat i had mixed up, the interior will be a tan with two-tone burl wood accents. Should look somewhat period correct.. i hope

Thank you all for the comments and compliments!   Also if anyone has bought the headlights thank you!  Around 6 sets have sold, it will be cool to see them on other projects!

Here is an update, finally!   This past week I didn't do much at all, so im trying to fast track this week to get caught back up.

Last night was dash, programed and cut... layered with .010 and .020 styrene..  its a bit rough, but it should clean up okay.

basic design drawn in illustrator:

cut and assembled

Next was adding the wood trim to the top of the door panels.

And then the exciting part... Uschi van der Rosten wood decals from germany, these are amazing.. I purchased both the 1/43 scale HO-229 set and the Truckers Delight Burl set. Get them here:https://www.uschivdr.com/

At first glance they look unbelievable, hopefully they apply as nice as they look:

Planing on using these woodgrain decals on the dash, door tops, floor (attempting an inlay look by layering decals) and the trunk on the back.  these are the 2 that are calling to me at the moment, but ill know more after i do a sprayout of the color.

That USCHI logo is a little scary......or maybe I watched too much 'The Man in the High Castle'!!!! :blink:

hahaha.. agreed!

looking good!  :)

Thanks Mike!

What size paper are those decals?  8 1/2 x 11?

Actually they are half sheets so like 5" x 8.5"

Thank you guys!  

Got the intercooler cleaned up and mounted last night, as well as modifying the firewall for the supercharger... I've never really worked with white metal parts before, it was pretty fun... hopefully when i get it painted and washed its cleaner than it appears now. 

I also added some piping/welt to the seat for a little extra detail.

Exhaust is tonight... I hope.

I am tempted to get some of the wood decals.Were you able to order from a U.S.supplier or from Germany?Also how did you convert the price to U.S.dollars for payment?Thanks.

hey tom!  there are a few sellers on eBay that have his decals, but i order directly from his website. I let PayPal handle the conversion, the shipping took a little over 2 weeks.. my order with shipping was 22.00 euro.. and that equaled 24.00ish US. 

I made some progress on the header/and midpipe tonight.  I'm really happy with how it turned out.

First I used the extra intake manifold in the resin motor kit to make sure I got the port spacing correct

got it all bent up and made some flanges out of .010

then the dual midpipe that runs back into the chassis plate.

Thank you all!  Your comments and encouragement mean a lot!   A little over a month to go... and most of the fab work is done... Radiator, exhaust, interior pedals and  trim, and then i should be ready to prime and body work!

Yesterday I managed to get the air intake scoops made and stuck on the sides of the cowl.

Started with some Starbucks stir-sticks.

Glued together and sanded to shape.

Added a styrene flange for easy cleanup

Vacform

Cleaned up and ready to install

Installed!

Sadly after all this work... I went back downstairs (after the game) and I must have accidentally puddled some glue in the scoops, and it turned them into raisins... I was using a new syringe to apply the glue inside.... couldn't tell how much i applied....

Luckily I have the pattern and can knock some new ones out tonight.... minor set back... no biggie.