Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Model A Roadster ArtDeco/Coachbuilt/Streamliner -DONE!

Impalow

Thanks guys!!

Very nice color.  What did you use for paint?

Its a pint of valspar basecoat I had mixed up... just picked a color off of the universal color charts and had him make me a pint pre-reduced... which is still way way to much.. I have enough to paint many many things this color... haha.. 

Im lucky to have a local commercial paint shop that I work pretty closely with for 1:1 scale projects, he lets me come in and play with the charts and is willing to mix me small quantities. 

Made some more progress...

I added some trim to the fenderpods, I figure in real life these would be 2 pieces for tire service. 

then the final prime!  Hopefully a light sanding and basecoat tomorrow night!

while I was working on the fenders.. I was able to get the trunk ready for the woodgrain decals

Thanks guys!    more updates..

Base-coat on the Fenders...last bit of this burgundy sprayed!

Then onto the trunk, decal-ed and foiled.... ready for clear...  The more I use these decals the more I like them!

I managed to get the BMF done on the main body and the hood last night (Ive always been one of those bmf before clear guys)... chassis is tonight...

Thanks guys!!! Im really happy with the trunk!

Stellar work, especially the wood grain on the trunk. I noticed the top/back is bookmatched - did you do the same for the sides too (left is mirror image of right)?

I tried to get the book-matching correct on the sides, but its not 100%... since you cant see them at the same time, I didn't go crazy with it and conserved decal material.

Thanks guys!!! Im really happy with the trunk!

I tried to get the book-matching correct on the sides, but its not 100%... since you cant see them at the same time, I didn't go crazy with it and conserved decal material.

You didn't even have to answer - we all knew what the answer was going to be. We wouldn't expect anything less on this build which is simply spectacular. Thanks for sharing! 

Thanks guys!    more updates..

Base-coat on the Fenders...last bit of this burgundy sprayed!

8A4547AB-845C-45B5-9ED8-C0F6A6464296.jpg

Check out his smile.  Even Tom Jefferson likes the wood on this trunk.

Do you spray clear over the decals or can you Pledge?

Edited by tedd60

Thank you guys!  you truly help keep me motivated....

Check out his smile.  Even Tom Jefferson likes the wood on this trunk.

Do you spray clear over the decals or can you Pledge?

hahaha... yeah I am going to use a budget urethane clear over most of my gloss surfaces.... except the door top wood trims, I used pledge on those.    I use the budget urethane clear because they are thinner and dont give that "dipped in goo" look.   They supposedly have less UV protection... but that's not really an issue for models. 

Nothing but bare metal foil last night... Its crazy this Model A  almost has more trim than a 1958 Chevy, oh well... no one to blame but myself. :rolleyes:

Here is a sneak peak of the chassis.... still needs some detail wash for contrast... but you get the idea.

I'm blown away with every update, its amazing to watch someone with the imagination you have, build something with all these hi-tech gadgets !  Its like watching the future of model building come to life !!  

Great stuff mate, already looking forward to your next build .....:D

Thank you all!     

As a guy that normally loves BMF, im gonna be happy to not see it for awhile... this was a challenge, but its ready for clear!     Probably knock that out tonight or tomorrow.. now onto the engine.. :)

59DD0D64-4CA3-4D80-B367-805FE88CC30F.jpg

Edited by Impalow

Thank you Mike!   im trying!

Incredible; love the color choice! Can't wait to see it in person. Any chance to see this at NNL East? I can't make it to BSAC this year, but will be in Toledo in October.

Thanks bob!  Bummer you cant make it to Columbus,  its really become one of my favorite shows... hopefully this year I can get some sleep the night before and be able to enjoy it.    I'm still up in the air when it comes to NNL East, I was originally thinking every other year on that one, but as it gets closer I may just cruise over.    I am sure I will be at Toledo, as well as all the others in the area this spring.