Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Model A Roadster ArtDeco/Coachbuilt/Streamliner -DONE!

Impalow

Thank you guys! 

If you needed a "plan B", you might consider tying the front and rear fenders together with running boards, and blending them into the A body like on the Bugatti at the beginning of your thread.  This could be done without altering the body shell.  The very heavy chrome along the sides adds a lot to the art deco look. 

Thanks ted that is a good idea...for some reason i want to try and keep these freestanding fender pods... But that is a great plan B if i cant get the alignment and support correct on the freestanding pods.

Last night was the NCAM meeting,  Andy and I took our WIP projects to show off to the club and for an excellent photo opportunity.  Hard to believe these started as the same "kit".. hahahah

Then on the way home my dad and I stopped for dinner... we were discussing how to mount the fenders.. and getting all the alignment correct.  I was expressing my regret in not putting an axle center "boss" or something in the 3d print before vac forming.   Since the fenders are an organic shape, they are going to be hard to drill all the same point for the axle.   My dad said to make a jig, and a few quick napkin sketches later, we had it figured out. When i got home i had to try it, busted out some scrap styrene and it worked perfect.   I know its just four holes, but i had been fretting over this.  Those holes determine the ride height, as well as the fore-aft position of the fenders all of which would bother me if not close to perfect.

Fender Drill Jig

Fender in jig.

Drill...

Repeat x3  (making sure i had 2 lefts and 2 rights)  

Next up is to make some adapters on the lathe to attach those screws to the front and rear axle.... feeling a bit better about this. 

Was thinking about the fender mounts. Some "sheet metal" shrouds in the shape of a airplane wing would look cool, or just the shape of the fenders. Just large enough to shroud the axles and attached at one end so the wheels can pivot in front ... fully welded in the rear. From the amazing work you've done this shouldn't be a big deal to work up.

This build is simply amazing!

Edited by Foxer

Super concept and work! Especially the way you've employed all the techniques and technologies in your arsenal!   I will be watching.

This all made me think of an old custom in my collection.  We don't know who built it, probably back in the 1960s but it demonstrates how a simple kit bash of fenders alone dramatically changes the look of the Model A!

1932 Ford, Built in the early to mid 1960s

Side View - Fenders give it a speedster stanceRear design elements all come together nicelyLooks like car originally had a roll bar.

• Like 1

thanks for your comments and compliments everyone!!!

Man I need one of those scrapbook cutters... I can see so much stuff that it helps with. 

what is the brand/make/model of that thing you have??

i'm using the Silhouette Portrait cutter, mainly because its small and was pretty "inexpensive" used on ebay (less than 80.00 shipped)  Really any of the newer scrapbook cutters that hook up to a computer and allow you to import .dxf files seem to work. Check this thread for more info.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/119212-circut-or-other-scrapbooking-tools/

Shapeways prints showed up!    wayyyyyyyyy better than I expected... Im totally stoked and can see this as a huge opportunity to be more creative on future projects.

Straight out of the box.

Removed from the block, drilled for pins, and one coat of upol primer.

Here is the link to the shapeways store

http://shpws.me/NepY

these examples were done in the "extreme detail frosted acrylic",

they are also printable in the "Ultra Detail Frosted Plastic which is about 2.00 less expensive and now has a 3 day turnaround time. (in hindsight i should have made a set of each in each material to see the differences, oh well, maybe the on next part)

thank you guys!    I made a little progress over the past few days and thought i would share.

Turned some rear axle mounts on the lathe

installed the rear axle

then a made another one and got the rear freestanding

then over to the front...Same deal... turned an adapter and used the the 29 kit axle.

then another one

Finally a freestanding Model A Streamliner...(well kinda, the back of the front fenders wanted to kick in, so theres a little block for now, until i epoxy it finally)

next up headlights and mounts

Made these the "old-fashioned" way just drawn and hand cut on .020 then stuck some 1/8" circles from my hole punch top and bottom Then sanded to nice shape, drilled pinned and installed

Headlight got a light sanding and then another coat of primer... almost ready for paint

Some minor frewall work and trim to add... but im getting close to primer... and that makes me happy