Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Silhouette Bill Cushenberry

regular guy

It's coming this year, I have seen it listed in a couple of places.  Not sure which issue will be replicated this time.  The parts in previous issues are unchanged except for one Seventies issue that left out the trailer.  The new one will have it though.

The 1:1 was supposedly stolen in the early Eighties, and buried somewhere by whoever did it.  I don't think it had been shown anywhere since the mid-Sixties. 

There was a Rod & Custom Sketchpad (not sure if it was in the regular magazine , or R&C Models) where the trailer was turned into a futuristic semi-tractor.  The body of the trailer was turned back-to-front and the larger rear half of the bubble left off.  The original rear portion of the bubble became a windshield/canopy.

Bill, that's a fun bash. Like the scoops from Grandpa's Coffin, a 240Z/300F nose on a Crate with C4 windshield and uptop. 57 Bird hood??

Where'd the wheels come from? Look like Halibrands crossed with Budd truck wheels. Have a Hess van and a couple other project that need those. 

Silhouette is fun kit. Needs a Buick nail head for original version, the later version had a big block Ford IIRC. I'm using the Buick out of a '40 Ford IIRC

Wonder if re-issue will have several colors of glass hopefully

I see Bill's trailer and raise him a Dune Buggy, Boat, Sports Car, and a Street Rod. I've also got about 3 other Silhouette projects, not including trailers of which I have two in the works.

The Silhoutte is one of my favorite show cars of all time and definitely my favorite model of all time.

P8050286%20Medium_zpssc77lx0y.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

There was a Rod & Custom Sketchpad (not sure if it was in the regular magazine , or R&C Models) where the trailer was turned into a futuristic semi-tractor.  The body of the trailer was turned back-to-front and the larger rear half of the bubble left off.  The original rear portion of the bubble became a windshield/canopy.

Interesting - I've had a similar idea for a long time! Don't know if the thought was subliminally planted in my mind, or what. But I was thinking of leaving the bubble on and making an "Allison Under Glass" or something like that.

These things follow me home. Now I have more ideas. 

Boat is cool. Dying for a big turbine exhaust out the back transom. Sports car hard to see, but looks like C2 roof? 

Dave, that's a nice stock build with the Ford. Had a green HW, wanted to do it as my Ford powered one. 

Awesome build from Coffin Corner. Paint from 2nd version with side-oiler. Paul Burke build

http://www.showrods.com/gallery_pages/silhouette.html

sil5.JPGsil1.JPG

sil2.JPG

These things follow me home. Now I have more ideas. 

Boat is cool. Dying for a big turbine exhaust out the back transom. Sports car hard to see, but looks like C2 roof? 

Dave, that's a nice stock build with the Ford. Had a green HW, wanted to do it as my Ford powered one. 

Awesome build from Coffin Corner. Paint from 2nd version with side-oiler. Paul Burke build

http://www.showrods.com/gallery_pages/silhouette.html

sil5.JPGsil1.JPG

sil2.JPG

Paul is a great long time friend, and his builds are fantastic!!! I have many of these kits, but have never built one, guess I better get busy!!!

I did that a few decades ago.

gnther01.jpg

gnther02.jpg

gnther03.jpg

I did this one last year, my version of a prototype 'what-if' car...what if you dropped in an Allison, added Richard Carroll tires, a rear wing, cut down windscreen :) It doesn't have to run, it doesn't even need detailing stuff, it's a prototype :)  

Silhouette LSR 002.JPG

There's something to be said for Wretched Excess! :lol:

Look at all the fun one can have with this kit! Even stock out of the box it looks nice. There was a show in the late 60's about cars that showed Lloyd Bridges at the beginning of the show driving the Silhouette along a sea coast highway. Now only was the car cool to look at standing still, but it looks like it actually functioned pretty well as a real drivable car. Which is more than we can say about a lot of other show cars of the same ilk.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

I did that a few decades ago.

gnther01.jpg

gnther02.jpg

gnther03.jpg

Christian and all....a very similar approach was taken by author Don Culp in a how-to article entitled "Tuff Hauler" in the December, 1967 issue of Car Model Magazine...but I like your choice of front grille, and the design of your trailer, better.   Cheers....TIM