Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius - Now that the Comet is out, What's Next

Swifster

Here's mine. Anyone wants to measure/ laser scan it for a kit have at it!

DSCF5211.JPG

Holy carp Paul, that looks exactly like the '72 I had.

Same color, white vinyl 3/4 roof and black+white bucket seat interior. Yours looks to be in a lot better shape though

I'm hoping Revell in the near future brings this kit to life! It keeps showing up on the "most wanted" list at the NNL East, and I've mentioned to Ed Sexton personally that this car has never been kitted, and would be popular among the lowrider set. 

He agreed--------let's hope that someday that translates into an actual kit in our hands! B)

I think that is how we ended up with the first generation Bronco.............

Now back to Moebius, any one hear when we might expect that Ford F100 4x4 pickup kit to be on the shelves?

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. I love the Virgil Exner designed Mopars From the mid '50s thru early '60s and most of these have been sorely neglected. Some have suggested DeSotos '55 -'59 And I agree! How about some Dodges as well. I also saw a '56 New Yorker in a suggestion that could possibly spring board off the 300B tooling. (maybe even a New Yorker St Regis). How about a '58-9 Dodge Sweptline PU (& 2 other box versions)

I would also suggest most any neglected late '40s - '50s cars; bullet nose Studebaker (or Studebaker truck or any Studebaker really), circa '49 GMC sedanette, '56 Buick or Olds, '58 Ford, almost any Nash/AMC.

Edited by #1 model citizen

OK, I was doing a little thinking. Some of the wagon ideas, mine included, would really take a whole new build. Most of the wagon chassis, from spare tire wells to fuel tanks are vastly different than  two door or four door models. The same is true of cars based off the 300. DeSotos are the only choice as the Dodges and Plymouths used shorter wheel bases. I'm pretty sure this stayed this way until 1962. Of course with the '65 Satellite, any unloved (by model standards) B Body Mopar is fair game. I'd love to see a 4-door with police car stuff included. A '65 Belvedere I like the current car, but with 4-doors with police markings wouldn't be hard to do.  

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. I love the Virgil Exner designed Mopars From the mid '50s thru early '60s and most of these have been sorely neglected.

I agree, and instead of trying to make that Jo-han thingy work ('59 Dodge) create an all new one, and as much siblings as design/economical wise possible, wonder if a '58 Belvedere then would be possible feasible?

But I'm sure that Frank, Dave and the rest of team Moebius, already have a mile long list of their own....I hope that they can work their way to the bottom..

;)

We already have the AMT '58 Belvedere.

I wouldn't mind seeing Round 2 take that '58 to the next logical step in doing a '57.

Maybe a Fury this time.

A few body corrections would be in order as well.

Steve

Wouldn't mind seeing this tool "accidentally" being dropped from a forklift, Ha....there I said it B)

Edited by Luc Janssens

Wouldn't mind seeing this tool "accidentally" being dropped from a forklift, Ha....there I said it B)

Well, you will probably have to live with it.

The chances of Moebius, or any other producer, doing a new tool of the '58 Belvedere while AMT still has one in production are virtually zero.

Steve

We already have the AMT '58 Belvedere.

I wouldn't mind seeing Round 2 take that '58 to the next logical step in doing a '57.

Maybe a Fury this time.

A few body corrections would be in order as well.

Steve

Steve, right on! I've been saying this forever. To your point, I paid Modelhaus 75 bucks for their 57 Plymouth and would have preferred to spend 30 bucks for a complete new kit! They can modify their 57 Chrysler 300 to a New Yorker or better, a 57/58 DeSoto. Their 71 Duster for a 71 Demon,the 60 Ford (reissued several times) to a 61 Sunliner. We can go on and on because they had great tooling from the nineties that are dynamite and are missing the opportunity for modified re-issues. 

Steve, right on! I've been saying this forever. To your point, I paid Modelhaus 75 bucks for their 57 Plymouth and would have preferred to spend 30 bucks for a complete new kit! They can modify their 57 Chrysler 300 to a New Yorker or better, a 57/58 DeSoto. Their 71 Duster for a 71 Demon,the 60 Ford (reissued several times) to a 61 Sunliner. We can go on and on because they had great tooling from the nineties that are dynamite and are missing the opportunity for modified re-issues. 

If history a short as it is, has taught us anything, then it is that Round-2 is just that Round-2, the chance to obtain again, a once produced model kit, but in a slightly better form.

They're not in the business to modify, unless if it's returning a certain tool to a certain point in time by cloning/copying/ an vintage kit.

The exception to the rule are the new Camaro kits, but it's a given that there are always exceptions...

Does it bother me that they didn't pull forward with the Demon?...you betcha...but alas it is what it is...

• 2 weeks later...

Me too! I love those "futuristic ' dashboards that these cars had and would be great for kit bashing customs. Turnpike Cruisers of the late '50s are another of my favorite Mercs.

57 Mercury could lead itself to street and NASCAR. That would be cool.

How about a '63 Falcon Sprint?  The '63 hardtop has never been modeled, and it would be a natural on the Comet chassis.  A few detail changes for the engine to represent a 260, and Moebius is in business.  I'd probably buy enough myself to help Moebius turn a profit .:)

How about a '63 Falcon Sprint?  The '63 hardtop has never been modeled, and it would be a natural on the Comet chassis.  A few detail changes for the engine to represent a 260, and Moebius is in business.  I'd probably buy enough myself to help Moebius turn a profit .:)

I'd love to have a '64/65, since they were also used in the Monte Carlo rally, it fit's the Moebius concept/philosophy , but think the Trumpeter kits as bad as they are, also makes this a no go.

The Comet has a five inch longer wheelbase than the Falcon. But a '65 Comet Caliente convertible would be an easy sequel.

Ya got me...never realized that.  Still like to have a '63 Falcon Sprint in quality 1/25, though.  Thanks for the correction.

I'd love to have a '64/65, since they were also used in the Monte Carlo rally, it fit's the Moebius concept/philosophy , but think the Trumpeter kits as bad as they are, also makes this a no go.

Would love to see a '65 Falcon issued.  As for the Trumpeter with effort it can be made respectable.

DSCN4609