Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Q2/Q3 Flyer

Some good stuff in this announcement.

Glad to see they didn't drag their feet too long before bringing out that stock '70 Charger, and I'll also be in for one of the Torinos.

Tough to make out from this pic, but looks like the Torino might have full wheel covers?  I was kind of hoping for a nice set of hub caps and trim rings, since this was a popular combo on the 1:1 cars that could also be used for the earlier Torinos and Mustangs.  Won't stop me from getting one, though.

Wonder if the 2 'n 1 description for the T-bolt means it includes the flat Fairlane hood and hubcaps from the Special Edition kit that was out about 10 years ago.  If so, I'll be in for one of those, too (missed that one during my modeling hiatus).

It was announced as a 1st quarter release, but in usual Revell fashion it is delayed...some vendor sites show it as a June-July release...

Where's the 66 Suburban ? really looking forward to it. anyone know if it was cancelled ?

My salesman told me April 30 for the Suburbans a couple of days ago, along with a price increase from Revell.

The Charger will be a strong seller, and I think the Torino in straight-stock form will move better than the S&H.

The '64 Fairlane usually sells well. I expect no different, especially if the stock-ish parts are included. It'll be a nice base for one of MCW's bodies.

A full-detail Mustang needs to happen.

Very disappointed to see the Foose Eldo is not correctable (i.e., stock,) I really hope they'll do a stock version down the road. In stock form, I remember that it was usually a pretty high finisher in requested subject polls, and the stock version allows you to build a completely-customized version to your vision, not having to work with/around someone else's.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

My salesman told me April 30 for the Suburbans a couple of days ago, along with a price increase from Revell.

The Charger will be a strong seller, and I think the Torino in straight-stock form will move better than the S&H.

The '64 Fairlane usually sells well. I expect no different, especially if the stock-ish parts are included. It'll be a nice base for one of MCW's bodies.

A full-detail Mustang needs to happen.

Very disappointed to see the Foose Eldo is not correctable (i.e., stock,) I really hope they'll do a stock version down the road. In stock form, I remember that it was usually a pretty high finisher in requested subject polls, and the stock version allows you to build a completely-customized version to your vision, not having to work with/around someone else's.

Charlie Larkin

The ordering system from Great Planes still says "Late June" for the Suburban. The MSRP is $26.95.

The ordering system from Great Planes still says "Late June" for the Suburban. The MSRP is $26.95.

Interesting. Hobbytyme is expecting them in their warehouse last week of the month, +/- a couple of days.

We'll know soon enough. I have six on order. Three sold, one for me, two for stock.

Charlie Larkin

Interesting. Hobbytyme is expecting them in their warehouse last week of the month, +/- a couple of days.

We'll know soon enough. I have six on order. Three sold, one for me, two for stock.

Charlie Larkin

HobbyTyme must have old info, it's definitely not coming this month.  This month's cars are the RX-7, "Yenko" Corvette, plus RoG's  McLaren 570s and their boxing of the Corvette C7.R. 

Previous Foose kits: "It's just stock with Foose wheels, I can't build the actual Foose vehicle!!"

Foose F100 & EldoRod: "I have to build the actual Foose vehicle, I want to build it stock!!"

thats what I was about to say...

Hmmm.  That sure looks like the Revell M4 Sherman kit that dates back to the 1950's.  It's 1/40 scale, like all early Revell military kits.  But this time around they're calling it 1/35???

Monogram had a similar confuse-a-palooza.  Its early military kits, like the M29 Weasel and M48A2 Patton tank, were always 1/35 scale.  Not much doubt about that.  For years people have cross-kitted the Tamiya 1/35 M48A3 kit with the Monogram M48A2 to build early gasoline-powered versions. The parts are almost a drop-fit, and the hulls and turrets nearly identical in size.

Then in the 1970s, Airfix started doing armor kits in 1/32 (Lee, Grant, Rommel's SdKfz. 250 half-track etc.)  So Monogram decided its old military kits were 1/32, and put that scale on the box.  To confuse things even more, at that time Monogram also released some new kits that really were 1/32 scale (M4 and M4A1 Shermans, Panzer IV and variants, etc.)   Then the most recent Monogram armor re-issues are back to 1/35 scale on the box.  Grrrr...

You have to take quarter releases with a grain of salt , not just with Revell but with all model kit company's. 

Ain't that the truth Jonathan. I preorderd the Platz BMW M6 GT3 last August? when it was put up for pre orders at Hobby Search for October release. It's been pushed back now, what four times? First to Dec. then Feb. then Apr. and now I saw somewhere May. Hopefully I'll get it before the car is no longer being raced by BMW. 

I'm guessing the new Nascar kits are full detail seeing as they are skill 5 and 7+hrs build time. Good timing. I'm working on a Camry using a 2007 chassis as a donor, might just wait till these drop to finish and see how the new chassis is.

Too bad about the Mustang, cool that its there, but I dont get the logic in not producing a full kit too? Kids dont really buy models anymore, their dad's buy them for them and would likely want a detailed version for themselves. I rarely see kids in hobby stores anymore, its always adults, and if there is a kid there, they are with dad. Anyways, I guess the bigwigs at Revell know what they are doing.

Edited by Jhedir6

I rarely see kids in hobby stores anymore, its always adults, and if there is a kid there, their are with dad.

Signs I've seen on hobby shop doors:

Unattended children will be sold.

Unattended children will be given an espresso and a free puppy.

Nice to see the Miata again....

wish the new Mustang wasn't a snapper (yet again!) :(  

Same thing I was thinking. :( 

I'm glad to see the Miata back though! I have the original kit, but somewhere along the line, I ruined the tires in it. I'll take that '70 Charger too........that one should be a GREAT seller!

Can it be too much to dream that we might one day get a '77 T-Bird out of that Torino?? Even if it's a lowrider, I'll take it!

Previous Foose kits: "It's just stock with Foose wheels, I can't build the actual Foose vehicle!!"

Foose F100 & EldoRod: "I have to build the actual Foose vehicle, I want to build it stock!!"

I'm looking forward to the Eldorod as well as the Foose F100 If these are done right not only will they be cool kits themselves but likely be great parts donors for custom versions of similar vehicles. I can see me using the Eldorod chassis under things like 53-54 chevys, 50 oldsmobiles, hudsons, 50 chevys 49-50 fords etc 

As far as the Mustang is concerned it would be nice if they changed it enough to tool up proper headlights for the thing.

Since the headlights on the 2018 Mustang are a different shape than the 2015 model, Revell would have to tool up new ones, so maybe they went a little further with these.  Seems unlikely, but maybe...

Since the headlights on the 2018 Mustang are a different shape than the 2015 model, Revell would have to tool up new ones, so maybe they went a little further with these.  Seems unlikely, but maybe...

No headlights, no purchase. Omitting the clear headlights is just bad business sense. I don't care who they think the target customer is, if they omitted them once, who's to say they won't omit them again? They shoot themselves in the foot when they do this. Trust has to be earned, and once lost, is difficult to get back.
It's the only game in town for a late model Mustang. I can live without the kit, and having to come up with an alternative just doesn't work for me. I have far too many other kits waiting for attention.

Hmmm.  That sure looks like the Revell M4 Sherman kit that dates back to the 1950's.  It's 1/40 scale, like all early Revell military kits.  But this time around they're calling it 1/35???

Monogram had a similar confuse-a-palooza.  Its early military kits, like the M29 Weasel and M48A2 Patton tank, were always 1/35 scale.  Not much doubt about that.  For years people have cross-kitted the Tamiya 1/35 M48A3 kit with the Monogram M48A2 to build early gasoline-powered versions. The parts are almost a drop-fit, and the hulls and turrets nearly identical in size.

Then in the 1970s, Airfix started doing armor kits in 1/32 (Lee, Grant, Rommel's SdKfz. 250 half-track etc.)  So Monogram decided its old military kits were 1/32, and put that scale on the box.  To confuse things even more, at that time Monogram also released some new kits that really were 1/32 scale (M4 and M4A1 Shermans, Panzer IV and variants, etc.)   Then the most recent Monogram armor re-issues are back to 1/35 scale on the box.  Grrrr...

The old Revell M4 might have been labeled 1/40 to tie it into the other Adams/Revell kits but it scales out to 1/35. Scale is the least of that kit's problems. 

Ain't that the truth Jonathan. I preorderd the Platz BMW M6 GT3 last August? when it was put up for pre orders at Hobby Search for October release. It's been pushed back now, what four times? First to Dec. then Feb. then Apr. and now I saw somewhere May. Hopefully I'll get it before the car is no longer being raced by BMW. 

I'm guessing the new Nascar kits are full detail seeing as they are skill 5 and 7+hrs build time. Good timing. I'm working on a Camry using a 2007 chassis as a donor, might just wait till these drop to finish and see how the new chassis is.

Too bad about the Mustang, cool that its there, but I dont get the logic in not producing a full kit too? Kids dont really buy models anymore, their dad's buy them for them and would likely want a detailed version for themselves. I rarely see kids in hobby stores anymore, its always adults, and if there is a kid there, they are with dad. Anyways, I guess the bigwigs at Revell know what they are doing.

I feel your frustration with the M6, but since it's a new company (NuNu Hobby) that's doing the kit, I'm willing to give them a lot more "leash" than I would an established company like Revell. 

I started on a S & H Torino when the kit first came out. I re-did the side window profile, and reshaped the rear fenders The mods look fine to me, but I just cannot deal with that red styrene. I know it can be painted over after a coat of BIN or Future, both of which I have, but the funky engine in the kit has me looking for a more acceptable engine for something more "stock", which I found in a Mobieus Ford Pickup kit.  want to do this one as a '74 Gran Torino Sport Hardtop. I have to scratch build the interior and Vinyl roof, get a Model Car Garage photoetch set for the scripts, and scare set of Magmum 500s.

MAMA%20Oct%202015%20005_zpssirp5vwu.jpg I picked up another one to make the JoHan '72 Nascar body into a Replica Stock '72 Gran Torino Sport. The "stock: kit is a much better fit for this project, so I will do it as the S & H car, an get a couple of the stockers.