Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT George Barris' Fireball 500

Casey

7 hours ago, alexis said:

There was a photo in SAE a long,long time ago, of a Fireball 500 done as Robin's car next to a Batmobile. It was done in the Red,Yellow, and Green. I think it even had a big R on it.

Every time I think I have a great new idea, I find out that someone else has already done it first. This is why I am not filthy rich. 

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Kinda like, "The early bird might get the worm, but the SECOND mouse gets the cheese," huh? :lol:

Honest to god, I had exterminator in CA that used Nutella in traps rather than peanut butter. Hadn't thought of that til just now. :D

So, FIFY "The early bird might get the worm, but the SECOND mouse gets the Nutella"

Nobody should eat Vegemite. Sounds like a crop parasite, tastes like rotting grass clippings. Revella couldn't sella. :rolleyes:

A couple photos of the car I picked up at the Pasadena City College flea market many years ago:

fireball1.jpg.e71fb07747d876b8730b8171519cc302.jpg

fireball2.jpg.5c39c63874382def00fe6dcd368c73a5.jpg

Note if you're building it as it appeared in the movie, the twin windscreens stop at the cowl, there's no center divider between the seats, and the headrests are thinner.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

• 3 months later...
11 minutes ago, Chuck Most said:

Maybe I missed this in the conversation, but was this based on a stock Barracuda kit? I ask because there's a slant six intake manifold on one of the parts runners.

The chassis is from the '65-'66 annual kits.  The '66 body was then used, with a new chassis, to create the mid-engine funny car kit.

1 hour ago, Psychographic said:

Would making it into a wedge sectioned El Camino work for you?

IMHO, the Fireball is like the frozen tundra or the US State Department: Anything you could do to it would improve it. :lol:

• 4 months later...

Had this kit from 2002 and working on it now. Its not like the new release from AMT and only has the clear windshield, but easy to add a little clear orange from Tamiya to replicate Barris's version, not the one from the movie. Only 2 tone as well. Similar to what was just sold in 2015. Doing a bit of work on the engine and chassis as well at the moment. Yes I know the one from the movie and the one recently sold was a 273, but hey, its going to be a bigger engine in my model! Would like to switch in a better chassis as well like the Revell 68 Dart, but I dont have one in stock and trying to keep it affordable.

Im doing it my way, no matter what but any suggestions are welcome....even if I dont follow it, lol!

Edited by DrSprue

Put this in "Trading Post" a while back, but I'll mention it again here:

If anybody wants one of these to fool around with, I have the 2002 AMT/ERTL issue of Fireball 500.  It is MISSING THE TRAILER, which I removed myself. All the other parts bags are still sealed.  Got an interesting but incomplete/built/semi-gluebomb kit of your own to trade?  I'm always looking for AMT Lincoln hardtops. Would like to have a Revell '32 Ford roadster (1/25 scale only) or a Monogram Yellow Jacket '30 Ford.  Also open to trades for weird aircraft or 1/35 military kits.

Pic below, the other 2 kits are already traded:

Img_0196.jpg

On 12/3/2017 at 11:30 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

A couple photos of the car I picked up at the Pasadena City College flea market many years ago:

fireball1.jpg.e71fb07747d876b8730b8171519cc302.jpg

fireball2.jpg.5c39c63874382def00fe6dcd368c73a5.jpg

Note if you're building it as it appeared in the movie, the twin windscreens stop at the cowl, there's no center divider between the seats, and the headrests are thinner.

The movie version looks good to me, The Barris version looks like it has 10" tires on a 6" wheel. I bet that handled like a bad dream.

"Fireball 500" was the 1966 American-International movie with a Barris car and model kit tie-in.  They followed it up in 1967 with more of the same, the movie "Thunder Alley," focused on stock-car racing.

A mechanical co-star in both movies was a blue 1960 Dodge Seneca 2-door post sedan.  In "Fireball 500" it was one of the moonshine-running cars.  For "Thunder Alley" they slapped a coat of two-tone paint on it, and the racing number "41."

The movie's Barris tie-in was the "Thunder Charger" customized '67 Dodge Charger. Which IMO did nothing to improve the basic car, and turned it into an advertisement for ugly.  MPC released the model kit, with a boxtop movie advertisement.  And because it was the Fabulous Sixties: "Psychedelic Car Art Decal, Detailing Paint & Brush Set Included!"

60_dod_sen.jpg

ThunderCharger.jpg

ThunderCharger2.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof

Wow I did not know that Mike! MPC seemed to come out with that kit in only 1967 for the thunder Charger. Would be fun to make it if you could find it. (lol and afford it) Very cool to know, thank you.

Edited by DrSprue

1 hour ago, nitro norman said:

That kit may not be much by todays standards, But as a kid ,in the 60's, I loved it. I remember my cousin came to spend the night one Friday  and we both had kits to build, mine was the Fireball and I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Agreed. 100%.

I built one last yeaor.so.  And is one of my favorites. 

I also have 2 of the mpg thunder chargers to do one of each color scheme 

On 8/26/2018 at 8:16 AM, Mike999 said:

"Fireball 500" was the 1966 American-International movie with a Barris car and model kit tie-in.  They followed it up in 1967 with more of the same, the movie "Thunder Alley," focused on stock-car racing.

A mechanical co-star in both movies was a blue 1960 Dodge Seneca 2-door post sedan.  In "Fireball 500" it was one of the moonshine-running cars.  For "Thunder Alley" they slapped a coat of two-tone paint on it, and the racing number "41."

The movie's Barris tie-in was the "Thunder Charger" customized '67 Dodge Charger. Which IMO did nothing to improve the basic car, and turned it into an advertisement for ugly.  MPC released the model kit, with a boxtop movie advertisement.  And because it was the Fabulous Sixties: "Psychedelic Car Art Decal, Detailing Paint & Brush Set Included!"

60_dod_sen.jpg

ThunderCharger.jpg

ThunderCharger2.jpg

I really wish they would bring this one back. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/3/2018 at 4:21 PM, Psychographic said:

Would making it into a wedge sectioned El Camino work for you?P5080672.JPG.022107405f88429b542c56c5d998d2ac.JPGP5080671.JPG.5d9d684be2462aeea641372685a77798.JPGP5080670.JPG.ae0d6b0929717339c7d5d8ff49b55c8f.JPG

I know it's been a long time but I just saw this and was wondering if it got completed ? I like the design ideas on this.