Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Too Many '69 Camaros and '32 Fords!"

I don't get the point of this thread. Where does the quote in the subject line come from?

It bothers me that the gardening section in our local store has been taken over by cheap and nasty Christmas and Halloween junk, but I can say that I've never been concerned by too many of any particular type of car model. In fact it's rare to see any car models near where I live...

-Don.

... Where does the quote in the subject line come from?

I'm pretty sure it's just a good-natured reference to the frequent complaining about endless reissues of the most-recognizable-to-the-masses models and the relative dearth of more esoteric stuff like '51 Studebakers and '57 Oldsmobiles.  :D

Thanks Bill

I guess it's the old adage '... 6 million flies can't be wrong'. As long as people buy the mainstream stuff it's bound to marginalise the more discerning would-be customer.

But you don't see many Camaros, '32 Fords or Vettes round these parts, 1:1 or to scale!.

Cheers,

-Don.

I don't get the point of this thread. Where does the quote in the subject line come from?

It bothers me that the gardening section in our local store has been taken over by cheap and nasty Christmas and Halloween junk, but I can say that I've never been concerned by too many of any particular type of car model. In fact it's rare to see any car models near where I live...

-Don.

I believe it is supposed to illustrate how the model companies, since the end of the "annual era", have changed their business model.

They've gone from producing models of every day "mom & pop" vehicles, to making basically nothing but hot rods & muscle cars that are popular with the street rodders.

Nothing wrong with hot rods & muscle cars, but the variety of different types of cars has gone out the window in favor of "what sells".

Can't blame them I guess.

They have to make a buck.

If there were more modelers demanding '57 Buicks, & fewer wanting Corvettes & '32 Fords, there would be more of them.

It has always kind of puzzled me.

You would think that most guys our age would want to reminisce about the kinds of cars that we saw every day when we were young.

I didn't know a single person when I was a kid, who had a Corvette or a Ford street rod, but I remember lots of full sized family type cars.

I guess it's more about what kinds of cars a lot of guys dreamed of having, & less about what they had.

All a matter of taste really.

I personally have never had the desire to own a Corvette.

Don't even have a built example of one.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Blasphemers! Heretics!:blink:

Next you'll be complaining about too many '57 Chevies and '63 Corvettes and '66 Mustangs!

:D

It would be interesting if someone did a complete compilation of exactly how many different '57 Chevy models have been produced over the years.

I think we might all be surprised!

Take half of them, & turn them into other makes from the same era, & you would likely hear less complaining on this subject.

Well.........maybe not. ;)

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I'm pretty sure it's just a good-natured reference to the frequent complaining about endless reissues of the most-recognizable-to-the-masses models and the relative dearth of more esoteric stuff like '51 Studebakers and '57 Oldsmobiles.  :D

Honestly, I'd be happy with more modern cars, even if they were models of cars built in tne 22 years since I graduated high school!

Honestly, I'd be happy with more modern cars, even if they were models of cars built in tne 22 years since I graduated high school!

I'd like to see some later-models too. One shelf is already groaning with Japanese and Euro stuff, but for US cars, I'd buy a Dodge Neon, the last Buick Riviera, an Oldsmobile Aurora, A Caddy CTS-V wagon, the last GTO (Holden)....even a Chebby Volt.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I would say that there's not much hope for seeing much from the last couple of decades.

That would take us back to around the mid 90s.

I don't believe that there are many modelers that are interested in cars from that era.

Most of us consider the 80s through the 2000s the low point of automotive design.

Nobody is dragging 90s cars out of the junk yards for restorations, for good reason in my opinion. :)

Steve

I personally have never had the desire to own a Corvette.

Don't even have a built example of one.

Steve

Reminds me of Bob Dylan's Blues!:

'I ain't goin' down to no race track
See no sports car run
I don’t have no sports car
And I don’t even care to have one

I can walk anytime around the block'

I'd like to see some later-models too. One shelf is already groaning with Japanese and Euro stuff, but for US cars, I'd buy a Dodge Neon, the last Buick Riviera, an Oldsmobile Aurora, A Caddy CTS-V wagon, the last GTO (Holden)....even a Chebby Volt.

Heck yeah!

Some good, modern, US kits! The Fujimis and Tamiyas of the world are doing a decent job on cars from Honda/Acura, Nissan, Porsche, Lamborghini, etc, but where are some high quality versions of modern American vehicles?

Current model pickups

SUVs

Dodge Chargers

Chevy Cruze

Chevy Volt (yes, I too want to see that kit)

Even a new Mustang or Camaro from Tamiya would be great. 

If it weren't for the Revell Snap Fast 63 Corvette and 69 Camaro and 34 Ford models, my display cases would be mighty bare!

Yes, they have given us many variations of Camaros, Corvettes and 32 -34 Fords, but if Edsels, Studebakers and Pacers were the cars of custom car builders or seen as the "cool" car, then you can bet we would have endless models of them!

As for cars I grew up with, I have little to no desire to build a 73 Chrysler Newport, 79 Chevy Caprice or 83 Caprice Wagon that I remember my parents owning. I do have a Moebius Ford pickup to replicate the 71 F250 that my Dad owned that I learned to drive stick shift in, and have a Chevy van to create a 79 G10 he replaced the F250 with.

If the kit companies could fulfill all of our wants and desires of cars from the last 50 -60 years and make money doing it, I think they would.

Yes, it would be great if the hobby here in the USA would start to focus more on doing modern subjects, and I dont mean as cheap toys you have to assemble,  its time for the hobby to live in the present, *enough of the old cars

*Yes, I am fully aware why the old subjects are kitted

** I am fully aware those reissues of the same old boring old car kits help pay for new tooling.

If you think there are too many '69 Camaro, '32 Ford, and Corvette kits. I have an easy solution for that. Don't buy them. '69 Camaros, '32 Fords, and Corvettes of all years are popular. So are '57 Chevs. So the companies make kits of them. In turn making money. Even though I too would like to see more of other things. Like a '51 Studebaker or a '57 Olds. I know the model companies will never make as much money off of those kits. As they will off of '69 Camaros, '32 Fords, '57 Chevys, and all Corvettes. An sorry to say, but the primary purpose the of model companies is to make money. The model kits they offer are ways to make that money.

Plus I really don't mind the popular kits listed above. I have several. And depending on which of the above kits are reissued, will be adding more of them to my collection. 

The Dodge Neon and Olds Aurora were done as a promo at the time, by the same company. And didn't Polar Lights do the Holden GTO? I'll have to do some digging. But, I seem to remember buying one? 

If you think there are too many '69 Camaro, '32 Ford, and Corvette kits. I have an easy solution for that. Don't buy them. '69 Camaros, '32 Fords, and Corvettes of all years are popular. So are '57 Chevs. So the companies make kits of them. In turn making money. Even though I too would like to see more of other things. Like a '51 Studebaker or a '57 Olds. I know the model companies will never make as much money off of those kits. As they will off of '69 Camaros, '32 Fords, '57 Chevys, and all Corvettes. An sorry to say, but the primary purpose the of model companies is to make money. The model kits they offer are ways to make that money.

Plus I really don't mind the popular kits listed above. I have several. And depending on which of the above kits are reissued, will be adding more of them to my collection. 

Generally, I don't, I'm waiting on the FE-3x version og the Hurst-Olds Cutlass kit, just bought the Foose Caddy kit a couple weeks ago, if somebody would follow the R/C market and make a version of the XJ Cherokee like my family has owned 5 of, I'd buy a case of them, if not more.

I dont buy them.

I am had no idea the model kit companies primary purpose was to make money,  who knew a for profit company's goal was to turn a profit.  And really, the model kit companies sell those kit to earn a profit, ? wow, that is really cool.  Learn something new everyday:rolleyes:.  Please note the sarcasm in my reply

Edited by martinfan5