Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can you fuse two cars together?

Dumb question that rolled into my mind.... Can you take a 68 camaro model cut off the front, do the same with a 67 camaro.  Then fuse the 68's front onto the 67's body? Would the fused car fit onto the frame?    I have never cut up a model and just wondered in theory.  I mean it would be frankensteining two cars together.    I was told on a forum that the 67, 68, and 69 camaros were pretty the same body, with a few details added to them.   Just something I was wondering about, and can it be done?

So, as you can see, it can, and has been done. The major part is thinking it out before hacking plastic!

Some might say I was a bit confused back in the '90s.

Con-fused.thumb.jpg.d5ac60913ffb80971d69

The ElDobeamer looks elegant, and classy. The little Porsche looks like an affordable sports car. But that Lambo 300 is outrageous!!!

All three of these are great examples of kitbashing!! Beautifully done!!

But the thing is, you can model  a first-gen Camaro with a "'68" front end and a "'67" rear end, or vice-versa, or any combination thereof, without having to "fuse" two bodies.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. The main differences between the two years are limited to vent wing windows/no vent wing windows, and badging/lighting changes, which wouldn't require "clipping" the car. A grille swap, some badge/marker light relocation and maybe a taillight/rear pan swap would get you pretty much wherever you wanted to be. Select the interior tub for the year/trim level you prefer, and be done with it.
'69 Got completely new body skins everywhere but the roof, really. If you're only considering the '67 and '68 though, there's no reason to hack the fenders off.

.'69 Got completely new body skins everywhere but the roof, really. If you're only considering the '67 and '68 though, there's no reason to hack the fenders off.

Not really. Basically all the HORIZONTAL surfaces--header panel, hood, cowl, glass, roof, tulip panel, trunk lid--are interchangeable all three years. The VERTICAL surfaces--fenders, doors, quarters, valences, grilles, taillight panels--were new for '69. 

If you look back at Russell Cook's replies in this thread, you can blame him for infecting my mind into the "blending disparate subjects into one" mentality. Once I saw his Porsche CRX in person at the Southwest Challenge years ago, I was hooked. It's all his fault, and I've told him that in person. :D  

Thanks for the comments about "Flashback II", yes it was done for the other magazine, they asked me when I created the first one if I had taken in-progress photos for an article. I had not, it was a "for me" project for an NNL theme...but I told them if Revell updated the Mustang I'd build another, and it finally happened. It really didn't need much filler at all to blend the three bodies: 

2v82Ezc4xvKa6.jpg

Here's the first version:

2vhuNuh5xvKa6.jpg

And this is "NISMAGNUM" where I combined an R34 GTR with a Dodge Magnum. Again...it was remarkable how things lined up and how "simple" the transformation was.

2vpSHdCGxvKa6.jpg

2vpSHyHrxvKa6.jpg

2vsSa8PSxvKa6.jpg

2vPEfmRuxvKa6.jpg

2vPeYBQgxvKa6.jpg

Been hacking away at this when time permits, where I to do it again, I’d of cut it differently 

DB29CBF9-F676-47A5-BD7E-7AD5CA00CD68.jpeg

C7BDD998-F58A-4FA8-9C21-2C668DB69B25.jpeg

7B0602C9-CAD9-4783-AFE8-7109DE2E197F.jpeg

0E06AC39-18E7-4710-A612-3B50AC090AB8.jpeg

62710B96-8718-45B3-82F8-6A64B3932FBF.jpeg

Thanks for those pics. I'm going to do the same thing someday. I was thinking of making the cut at some point at the top part of the front wheel opening. 

I even have a plan for the leftover pieces. 

Another kitbash I did:

100_0671-vi.jpg100_0672-vi.jpg100_0673-vi.jpg

I call this one "Grand Camino". I took a Monogram Buick Grand National front clip, front and rear wheel wells, interior, turbo V-6, and  wheels, and mated them to a Monogram ElCamino from the Bass Boat kit. Sorry for the dark pics. It makes me realize, I need to take some more pics of this! When I do, I'll change out the pics in this post.

You're a sick man Russell.  Well done, i'm impressed.

I resemble that remark! =) Thanks - Under Glass threads for BMW / Caddy here, the Lambo 300 here, and the Carrera CRX here.

If you look back at Russell Cook's replies in this thread, you can blame him for infecting my mind into the "blending disparate subjects into one" mentality. Once I saw his Porsche CRX in person at the Southwest Challenge years ago, I was hooked. It's all his fault, and I've told him that in person. :D 

That's still a ton of fun for me, and I just love your trio combos. It is hard to commit design blasphemy while getting the proportions right.

Another kitbash I did:

100_0671-vi.jpg100_0672-vi.jpg100_0673-vi.jpg

I call this one "Grand Camino". I took a Monogram Buick Grand National front clip, front and rear wheel wells, interior, turbo V-6, and  wheels, and mated them to a Monogram ElCamino from the Bass Boat kit. Sorry for the dark pics. It makes me realize, I need to take some more pics of this! When I do, I'll change out the pics in this post.

Another cool one. I'm amazed by ideas and work you guys can do.