Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobbico - BANKRUPT!

2 hours ago, aurfalien said:

Well that's not what I meant.  Fords are made off shore/South of the border as well.  It's just what we grew up with and they originated here anyways.

I used to find there kits down the local grocery isle back in the 70's and 80's.

My Ford was made in Dearborn, Michigan and my wife's Ford was made in Chicago.

9 minutes ago, aurfalien said:

And my Nissan Cube was made in Tennessee.

We had a Cube and loved it. Gave it to my daughter who still drives and loves it. Ours was built in Japan.....it was my understanding all Cubes, being super low production numbers, were Japanese built. If they made them in TN I was they still did.....

Saw my F-150's birthplace in Mich USA.....

12 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

We had a Cube and loved it. Gave it to my daughter who still drives and loves it. Ours was built in Japan.....it was my understanding all Cubes, being super low production numbers, were Japanese built. If they made them in TN I was they still did.....

Saw my F-150's birthplace in Mich USA.....

Well, the Cube Krōm was made in the US, at least some where.

However a total failure in terms of sales numbers.  I baby mine big time.  Quirky and odd, which is cool.

7 minutes ago, aurfalien said:

Well, the Cube Krōm was made in the US, at least some where.

However a total failure in terms of sales numbers.  I baby mine big time.  Quirky and odd, which is cool.

My understanding all Cubes were built in Japan,   what is the 1st or 11th digit on your Cube's Vin number ?

Edited by martinfan5

29 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

My understanding all Cubes were built in Japan,   what is the 1st or 11th digit on your Cube's Vin number ?

Cube seems to have been aped from the original Toyota bB (Scion xB in US), but even funkier looking with those rounded windows and asymmetrical styling.  I own a 2006 xB and judging by how many I've seen on the streets, they sold better than the Cube. And xB is so darn cute!  My xB was built in Japan and I think that all xBs were like that.

Edited by peteski

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

...and my Jeep was built in Michigan.  But I don't see how any of this has to do with Hobbico..thread seems to have gone off the rails. 

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off the rails!

Geography seems to have developed a mysterious pull these past few days...;)

2 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off the rails!

Yea sorry guys, I wasn't trying to derail it.  My point, seemingly off rails was that regardless of were a product is made today, the company itself has a certain feeling to it.

And as a child, I symbolized Revell with great American WW2 aircraft and cars as that's what I saw on the shelves.  So in a return to topic, I certainly hope they carry through.

They have very good offerings so one would think they do but it doesn't sound good.

Edited by aurfalien

Emailed to me within the last hour:

Important Notice Regarding the Sale of Your Personal Information and Your Right to Opt-out
Dear Valued Customer:

As you may be aware, OmniModels' parent company, Hobbico, declared bankruptcy in January 2018 and has initiated a sale process.

We are excited to share with you that the RC brands and OmniModels website that you have come to rely on over the years will continue. The Bankruptcy Court has approved the sale of Hobbico's RC business to Horizon Hobby, LLC. Horizon Hobby has been in business since 1985 and serves customers in the United States and around the World. Horizon Hobby also maintains a strong online presence and warmly welcomes Hobbico customers to its growing family. With this acquisition, Horizon Hobby looks to build upon Hobbico's great reputation for providing quality RC products to customers across the country. More information about Horizon Hobby can be found at https://www.HorizonHobby.com.

As part of the sale, Horizon Hobby is purchasing OmniModels' customer databases. The OmniModels Privacy Policy provides that the company will not share any personally identifiable information with any third party without your consent. Under this Privacy Policy, you have the right to opt-out of the sale and the transfer of your personal information to Horizon Hobby, and of receiving future e-mail or mail communications from Horizon Hobby.

1. You may elect to opt out by any of the following methods:
  2. Clicking the link at the bottom of this email message;
  3. Sending an e-mail to OmniModels' web master at omni@omnimodels.comwith the information necessary for Hobbico to identify you in its database and process your opt-out election (such as your name, email address, street address and telephone number);
  4. Calling the Customer Service at 800-342-6464 or;
  5. Mailing to the following address:

OmniModels
1608 Interstate Drive, Champaign, IL (USA) 61822

Please include in your letter the information necessary for Horizon Hobby to identify you in its database and process your opt-out election (such as your name, email address, street address and telephone number). Please note that opting out will remove your proof of purchase data required for warranty service.

If you opted in to receive promotional emails from OmniModels, you may also receive promotional emails from Horizon Hobby unless you opt out of having your information conveyed to Horizon Hobby.

Your request to opt out must be received no later than April 6, 2018.

After the opt-out deadline, Horizon Hobby has offered to conduct a sweepstakes for OmniModels customers who decline to opt-out as a thank you for your interest. We thank you for your past patronage and hope you will always continue to enjoy the RC hobby.

Sincerely,
OmniModels

Yes part of the sale were all the customer records minus credit card information. 

Tower Hobbies were transferring the records of over a million people. Which makes you wonder how many regular -like monthly - customers are in that pile. I've only bought a handful of RevellAG kits over the years, maybe 5 total, from them. 

1 hour ago, Psychographic said:

I got that email, but I'll be darned if I ever remember buying anything from Omni.

Same here. I've never bought anything from Hobbico or Omni..  aside from buying Revell kits  locally

Edited by Tom Geiger