How Old Are You?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. How Old Are You?

• 20 years old or younger
    • 20 - 30 years old
    • 30 - 40 years old
    • 40 - 50 years old
    • 50 years old or older

I'll be 74 come July, been building continuously since a bout with rheumatic fever in the summer of 1952, mentored my oldest nephew in the art of model building in the late 60's to mid '70's (he is now one of the nation's premiere antique furniture restorers) has done restorations for  Colonial Williamsburg, and certified to the Smithsonian), and Geoff's youngest son,  8yr old Jacob whom I also am mentoring (especially after he lost his Mother this past January) with building models--we will see where, and if, that takes Jacob anywhere down the road--he's an exceptional, wide-eyed 8yr old who views his world as "his oyster"!

Edited by Art Anderson

16 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Rich, did you ever fish for coins through sidewalk vent grates? The best ones were where bus stops were located because people would always drop change while looking for bus fare.

Image result for fishing for change through sidewalk ventilation grates nyc

No Joe, I never did that, but it looked like it would be a time-consuming but fun thing to do...  A wad of gum on the end of the string to stick to the coins so you could pull them up...  and hopefully get them up through the grating without knocking them off..

We used a small padlock with vaseline smeared on the bottom and tied kite string to the hasp. On a good day, we could pull up over three bucks in coin from one vent. Another vent spot which was good was near bars. Lots of loot dropped down the vents whenever the barflies exited after drinking lunch or dinner. We had a lot of bars on the main drag in the neighborhood back then. :D 

I'll be 57 in October and I was a late starter to building relatively speaking. I was 17 and a senior in high school when I started building. Before that you couldn't give a model to me as I was just not interested in 'em.

19 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Brenda Lee's "I'm Sorry" was #1 on the Billboard charts when I was born.

Interesting! I came across this website a while back that lists all of Billboard's hits for a ton of years. These were in the top five the week I came along.........

1 1 TAKE GOOD CARE OF MY BABY –•– Bobby Vee (Liberty)-9 (3 weeks at #1) (1)
2 2 THE MOUNTAIN’S HIGH –•– Dick and DeeDee (Liberty)-10 (2)
3 4 CRYING –•– Roy Orbison (Monument)-8 (3)
4 13 HIT THE ROAD JACK –•– Ray Charles (ABC-Paramount)-4 (4)
5 6 LITTLE SISTER –•– Elvis Presley (RCA Victor)-7 (5)

The following week, "Hit The Road Jack" would be #1. ;)

51 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

I'll be 57 in October and I was a late starter to building relatively speaking. I was 17 and a senior in high school when I started building. Before that you couldn't give a model to me as I was just not interested in 'em.

Interesting! I came across this website a while back that lists all of Billboard's hits for a ton of years. These were in the top five the week I came along.........

1 1 TAKE GOOD CARE OF MY BABY –•– Bobby Vee (Liberty)-9 (3 weeks at #1) (1)
2 2 THE MOUNTAIN’S HIGH –•– Dick and DeeDee (Liberty)-10 (2)
3 4 CRYING –•– Roy Orbison (Monument)-8 (3)
4 13 HIT THE ROAD JACK –•– Ray Charles (ABC-Paramount)-4 (4)
5 6 LITTLE SISTER –•– Elvis Presley (RCA Victor)-7 (5)

The following week, "Hit The Road Jack" would be #1. ;)

Ok, now that makes me feel old.  I'm so old they don't go back that far!  Heck, I'm older than Dirt!  When I was a kid, my folks use to put us kids to work pounding rocks together just to make our own dirt!:lol:

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:20 PM, iamsuperdan said:

Second, when I'm talking to my 22 year old lot attendant at work. I'm literally old enough to be her dad. 

He: Hey, darlin', where have you been all my life?

She: Well, for the first two-thirds, I wasn't born.

SfanGoch - Channel 9 was, is, and always will be lame.

Edited by Reegs

51. I'm in good shape and exercise a lot, but I look old, I feel old, I am old.....Maybe because I come from a country where everything is focused on young people. If you're over 45 you're literally a waste of space. But I'll just model on and try not to think too much about age.......:P 

On 5/12/2018 at 4:12 PM, Ramfins59 said:

Yeah, I remember picking up ditched soda bottles at the park for the 2 cents deposit... Every once in awhile I'd find a LARGE bottle and those had a 5 cent deposit, which was like a home run...!!!  When the movie The Ten Commandments came out, we HAD to go see it per instructions from our Catholic School.  Everyone freaked out because admission price was 50 cents, when movies usually only cost 25 cents at the time...... It was a 4 hour movie so I guess they had to charge more.

I so remember collecting empty soda bottles and returning them to the store for "candy money" back in Chicago in the 50's.

2 hours ago, High octane said:

You should be and consider it a blessing as a LOT of people don't even reach the age of 51.

Oh trust me I do! I have End Stage Renal Failure, heart palpitations, Scoliosis in my spine, Osgood Slatters in my knees, severe Plantar Fascitis in my feet, chronic Pancreatitis and chronic Gurd that almost killed me. I meant I wish I could have stayed at 50.