199 members have voted

1. 1. How Old Are You?

• 20 years old or younger
    • 20 - 30 years old
    • 30 - 40 years old
    • 40 - 50 years old
    • 50 years old or older

10 hours ago, peteski said:

It goes deeper that that.  Most teens and tweens nowadays don't even want to get a driver's license and own a (1:1) car.  They rather have their parents drive them,  take Uber, or in the future, have a self-drivign car take them to their destination (while they are checking their Facebook feed on their schmart-phone). Driving is not considered something one strives for - it is a chore.  And driving (especially in large metropolitan areas) is no fun anymore. Traffic jams everywhere, and lots of distracted drivers to watch out for. Common courtesy is out of the window.   Why then would those young people want to build models of vehicles if they don't have any desire to won them or any nostalgic memoris of them?

A-men                its going to be a sad world

13 hours ago, peteski said:

It goes deeper that that.  Most teens and tweens nowadays don't even want to get a driver's license and own a (1:1) car.  They rather have their parents drive them,  take Uber, or in the future, have a self-drivign car take them to their destination (while they are checking their Facebook feed on their schmart-phone). Driving is not considered something one strives for - it is a chore.  And driving (especially in large metropolitan areas) is no fun anymore. Traffic jams everywhere, and lots of distracted drivers to watch out for. Common courtesy is out of the window.   Why then would those young people want to build models of vehicles if they don't have any desire to won them or any nostalgic memoris of them?

I agree and seem to have to explain it to others who are younger than me.  Today's cars are so complex, they are simple.  They have taken so much out of the driving experience that the driver is hardly involved with the process.  Personally I have a car that requires much more of the driver.  My car requires me to be involved at every level from clutching and shifting to monitoring engine performance and making decisions about how I want the drive train to perform.  The heater and A/C controls are connected directly to valves and baffles.  There is no thermostatic setting.  The radio requires that I "tune" it.  When I get in and put the key in the ignition I become an integral part of the car, without which very little can function.  I like that involvement.  

My wife's car, on the other hand, only requires that I show up and steer. It can brake for me if I forget.  It will stop, if I approach a dangerous situation.  It maintains distance from the car ahead in cruise mode. I can talk to it to change the radio or heater and A/C.  It will maintain the center of the lane if I choose.  If my hands are not on the wheel for a short period, it will ask me if I need to stop for a rest and a cup of coffee.    For long cross country trips, yes, it is comfortable and I like that, but day to day.....ummm, not so much.  

I personally hate new cars they are to ugly and hi-tech. I only have one friend that agrees with me and is interested in old cars and trucks and people make fun of us for it. I am also the only person my age that I know of that knows how to drive a standard.

13 hours ago, JollySipper said:

Some of you guys' age I'm a little surprised at........ I knew the majority of you were older, but some of you act or seem (on the forum, anyway), to be Younger than you say!

Maybe there's a sorta "fountain of youth" for the mind in these boxes of plastic...............  :)

I think you're pretty close to the mark with your "fountain of youth" comment.  I'm almost 63. People who only know me over the phone are surprised by that. I seem a bit too chipper for someone my age. I blame model building for that. 

63 years young! Building since age 7. First model was a B-25 Mitchell Bomber molded in lite brown that my Grandfather bought me when I stayed a weekend with my Grandparents when my Mom & Dad took an R&R from my sister and I. I think it was Monogram with Monogram glue? The glue was a funky tan color made for Models..... I remember it was really stringy and didn't stick very well (does anyone remember that glue?) I worked on it all weekend and didn't finish it. I left it at my Grandparents house and did finally finish it.... Huge Glue Bomb. But I was hooked!

I'm 71 years old and have been interested in cars for as long as I can remember. I built model cars in the late 1950s and early 1960s. In the last couple years got interested in models again. I like some of the older cars but would really like to see many more newer cars available as kits.

15 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

I think you're pretty close to the mark with your "fountain of youth" comment.  I'm almost 63. People who only know me over the phone are surprised by that. I seem a bit too chipper for someone my age. I blame model building for that. 

Fountain of youth?  Naw, paint fumes Dave, paint fumes!

Turned 70 in December, started modeling when I was about 10 I think. Lots of glue bombs.  Stopped at 19 when I went to Vietnam. Started again in 2007.  Love the hobby but the expense is crazy for a person on a fixed income, since I have to balance the cost against my other hobbies.

I wonder if 90 years ago a bunch of old men were sitting around the General Store lamenting how young kids were spoiled because they didn't have to hand crank their cars anymore.

Dagnabit nobody knows how to hitch a horse to a plow anymore, they all have those infernal motorized tractors these days!!!

On 5/16/2018 at 9:28 AM, Pete J. said:

Fountain of youth?  Naw, paint fumes Dave, paint fumes!

Pete, I turned 70 in February and got back into building after my stoke in 1998..Finished my first in 18 years in July..I post on a FB site Model Car Builders..I show what I do in "the Room"  my go to is Fumes,Tunes and Wine..(Paint fumes, music and red wine..Here is a shot of me in "the Room"..Enjoy..

Wayne October 5 2017 Fumes,tunes and wine.jpg

Wayne getting ready to enjoy some wine at the bench.jpg

3 hours ago, moparfarmer said:

Pete, I turned 70 in February and got back into building after my stoke in 1998..Finished my first in 18 years in July..I post on a FB site Model Car Builders..I show what I do in "the Room"  my go to is Fumes,Tunes and Wine..(Paint fumes, music and red wine..Here is a shot of me in "the Room"..Enjoy..

Wayne October 5 2017 Fumes,tunes and wine.jpg

Wayne getting ready to enjoy some wine at the bench.jpg

Looks about right to me except I prefer a Single malt with my styrene!  It mixes with my milling machine lubricant better!

Edited by Pete J.

There is a pretty large garage kit community, but those mostly cater to monsters and movie props from what I can see. Not much of us young car kitters. I guess start doing some snaptites with your kids and grandkids. Even if they don't get into the hobby now they might later if the memories are fond. Atleast that's how I decided to pick up the hobby me and my pops had when I was too little to appreciate it. Building models is not a teenagers game. No patience 

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:48 PM, niteowl7710 said:

I wonder if 90 years ago a bunch of old men were sitting around the General Store lamenting how young kids were spoiled because they didn't have to hand crank their cars anymore.

Dagnabit nobody knows how to hitch a horse to a plow anymore, they all have those infernal motorized tractors these days!!!

And your point would be what......As A satirist, sarcasm, or ignorance! I realize this is not a scientific poll however it looks like us old geezers are winning the race in spades.

James, I don't want to mince words with you.... here's the thing you don't understand...... Many of us built muscle and race cars of our favorite brands and racing hero's of the era in hopes that maybe we could own one of those car or race them in some type of formula. We were gear heads of styrene and many of us did go on to buy some  Real Muscle when we became of age to drive. 

Back in the Day If you weren't kit bashing or robbing your Mothers sewing box to detail your monsters of the midway you were just a kit assembler period. That made for hard times in my neighborhood as all of my friends built models. It was a blast to get the latest issue of Hot Rod, Car Craft Yada Yada to try to duplicate your favorite whatever..... Many of us would go to office supply stores and buy letraset or chartpack rub on lettering to simulate the best we could our favorite race cars as we had no cottage industries to support our needs. It was a magical time in 1:1 car history and modeling as well...... which will never be duplicated.

One of the real bonuses of that era was when the shelf got to full or you got tired of looking at a particular build....... It had to be sacrificed at the alter of Black Cats, Lighter Fluid or your favorite accelerant of choice. Pure magic!

My deepest Sympathy's you missed the Party

Respectfully Submitted, JImmy "RASS"      

2 hours ago, jwrass said:

I realize this is not a scientific poll however it looks like us old geezers are winning the race in spades.

Yup, kinda like taking the same poll at a retirement home!

I tried a club for stamp collectors. I soon realized I was not only the youngest person in the room, but the only one who was still working!

Soon enough it was revealed that the club was founded by putting up flyers in retirement communities!  At one meeting they took up a vote to move the 7pm Tuesday meeting to daytime so they wouldn't have to drive in the dark.  That guaranteed the club would never attract younger blood!  And out the door I went!

Edited by Tom Geiger

11 hours ago, jwrass said:

And your point would be what......As A satirist, sarcasm, or ignorance! I realize this is not a scientific poll however it looks like us old geezers are winning the race in spades.

James, I don't want to mince words with you.... here's the thing you don't understand...... Many of us built muscle and race cars of our favorite brands and racing hero's of the era in hopes that maybe we could own one of those car or race them in some type of formula. We were gear heads of styrene and many of us did go on to buy some  Real Muscle when we became of age to drive. 

Back in the Day If you weren't kit bashing or robbing your Mothers sewing box to detail your monsters of the midway you were just a kit assembler period. That made for hard times in my neighborhood as all of my friends built models. It was a blast to get the latest issue of Hot Rod, Car Craft Yada Yada to try to duplicate your favorite whatever..... Many of us would go to office supply stores and buy letraset or chartpack rub on lettering to simulate the best we could our favorite race cars as we had no cottage industries to support our needs. It was a magical time in 1:1 car history and modeling as well...... which will never be duplicated.

One of the real bonuses of that era was when the shelf got to full or you got tired of looking at a particular build....... It had to be sacrificed at the alter of Black Cats, Lighter Fluid or your favorite accelerant of choice. Pure magic!

My deepest Sympathy's you missed the Party

Respectfully Submitted, JImmy "RASS"      

My point was that the older generation has ALWAYS had something to complain about in regards to new technology. The irony is it always seems like the up and coming geezers feel the younger people below them are the WORST EVER, and yet you guys were once those awful young people and you made it to geezerhood.

18 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

My point was that the older generation has ALWAYS had something to complain about in regards to new technology. The irony is it always seems like the up and coming geezers feel the younger people below them are the WORST EVER, and yet you guys were once those awful young people and you made it to geezerhood.

The question of this post is how old are you? Instead of answering the question (your age) in a polite manner you just couldn't help yourself by trying to be cute with a response that had no relevance! I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, perhaps its a comprehension issue. I knew I'd get some type of juvenile response from you complete with shouting. I didn't shout at you! "The older generation ALWAYS has something to complain about in regards to new technology." That's a pretty large blanket statement! Hmmmm I've been involved with a Fortune 500 company at the highest levels of commercial building automation and security systems for 40 years in the design, programing and commissioning of said systems. I embrace technology each day. As department head of BAS & S (retired 2017) I found the younger people that I hired where the BEST EVER and I made it a point to hire young people whom I deemed more intelligent than I. I tried to be a good mentor and team leader as when it came to bonus time I wanted my team to be rewarded. The biggest challenge I had the last ten years of my tenure was work ethic.....Many of them if they had a hang nail they would call in sick. (they didn't last long) The graduate's I interviewed I always asked what their Mothers and Fathers did as an occupation..... The best employee's I had were the ones whom were raised on farms.... (Male and Female) Superior work ethics!  

As far as consumer automotive technology bring it on! Racing technology, some I embrace others not so much (like paddle shifters). I've been racing since age nine and am a hard card carrier of SCCA, UDRA, WKA, NHRA. I still have my 1978 TIGA FF and 1986 ZIP Bandit 250cc Super Kart of which both were new purchases that I actively vintage race. I also do four to five arrive and drives a year in different genres.

I am a Race Fan of.....All genres. Some more than others, I have no prejudice! My roots are in Road Racing with a deep love for anything open wheel and that's where I like to compete.

The technology of driver, car, track safety, data acquisition I'm all in.... In the age of data acquisition your simply changing algorithm's and or turning wrenches as based on your data and driver feedback.... Its just another tool in the form of a PC nothing more nothing less.... it's not rocket science!  

Having driven paddle shift and sequential cars..... I'll take the later... Yes you can run faster lap times with a paddle..... Matching revs with heel and toe techniques IMHO makes for a more skillful driver.

I used to enjoy your YOUTUBE channel... not so much anymore (if you want to be a Sally go ahead and block me) One thing I have found since the New Year is that if your lips are moving there surely with be half truths, bias, libel, slander and an overall tone of a know it all. It's your channel and you obviously can do what ever you want "Be that as it may" The single biggest clue is the faster you talk the more slippery the slope gets.

It seems like as of late if your not stirring the turd punch bowl your not happy! Your Hobbico videos were Great comic relief with your Ouija Board and Eight Ball religion. They held as much water as a colander and somehow you managed to twist in the wind like a wet blanket when you were wrong which was most of the time. Whom ever your so called insider was, was more like tinkling in your ear than whispering.  

I believe you had no real inside information....(just my personal take which I'm entitled to) Only speculation! "A Corporate Report and stuff like that" (your words not mine..... very professional) or Prospectus does not tell you the financials of a company..... It's called an Income Statement.... Gross Revenues, Minus Expense's, Equals Net Revenues, Minus Taxes, Equals Profit or Loss. Simple Arithmetic! Your Welcome.

You mention how many kits you have on a regular basis in your New Acquisitions series (yawn) Do you really think anyone remotely cares, is intimidated or jealous of how many kits you have? If you do you may want to check the visons of  grandeur column. Based on your sensitivity (The Gravity Video) Perhaps I'll even get an honorable mention and 15 seconds of fame On an Exciting Issue of The Stash Report as one of the morons on the forums...(" None of which are any good") again your words not mine... yet you participate..... Interesting.... That makes you one of us! Welcome to the club!

Proud to have made it to geezerhood with humility.

Jimmy "RASS"

P.S. Loose the Air Quotes..... It's so Breakfast Club!

Edited by jwrass

34 minutes ago, jwrass said:

I still have my 1978 TIGA FF and 1986 ZIP Bandit 250cc Super Kart of which both were new purchases that I actively vintage race.

Jimmy "RASS"

I wish I'd kept my 82 Royale RP 31M. I bet that kart is a blast.

I think this thread has been officially hijacked.

IMG_0012.jpg