Model Cars Magazine Forum

Would it bother you?

Every model I build I sell on ebay. I don't have the space to keep them & I enjoy the build more than the results. Sometimes I make money & sometimes not, but I use what I make to buy more supplies. I never really thought about what people do with them after they buy them, I guess I just figured they end up on someone else's shelf. I sold a model (41 Willys Truck) a couple weeks ago & sent it to Colorado. I received a comment on that build (that I posted here in the truck section) that they saw the model at the "Goodguys" show in Colorado this weekend and it looked great in person. Thank you very much Ben269! At first I was a little aggravated that someone else put my model in a contest, but then after a minute I thought, it's not my model anymore, it's his. I laughed a little after thinking about what he paid for it & thought, I hope he won something with it. I guess it doesn't bother me.

So, my question is... would it bother you if you found out a model you built was put in a contest by someone else?

Absolutely it would anger me!

Someone trying to pass off someone else's work as their own is very shady IMO.

Unless he added a note to the display giving the correct "artist" the credit, I would be offended.

It's a little like these guys that buy a Kindig or Foose design & then stand beside it with their chest puffed out at the shows.

It's not your design, you just happen to have enough money to be able to pay for it.

In the biker world, they call people like that "posers"!

You know, the guy that buys the $60,000.00 custom bike & all of the clothes & gear & then just drags it around the country in a trailer to show off at places like Sturgis!

The guy that spends more money on soft cotton rags & polish than he does on gas! :rolleyes:

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

You don't buy the "Mona Lisa" , then enter it in an art competition !

I use to build "for profit"  and, YES, I would be Outraged !

I have had the opportunity to see one of my build's   for sale at a  Train show ( I built a 1/87 scale steam crane and sold it for $300.00 ) At the show ,a vendor had my crane in a case ,for $450.00. I can only hope that the guy I built it for ,10 year's before,  didn't loose money on it.

I went back to the vendor's display later in the day, and it was gone. So it's nice to know my work is ,at least  "sought after"..

You guys are all ASSUMING the buyer made some attempt to pass it as his own work. I didn't get that impression reading the original post. Simply entering the model in a contest doesn't imply the guy attempted to claim it as his own work. It has simply been entered.

As for comparing a model car to the Mona Lisa, c'mon. Are you kidding? Talk about comparing apples to oranges! 

Are you guys all saying that in every contest with prizes awarded, every piece has to be completely built, constructed, made, etc, etc by the individual entering it? So from this point on no cars may be entered in a show unless it is absolutely verified that the individual entering it in the contest performed EVERY step in the construction of the vehicle. Is that what you're saying? And from this point forward no car may be raced in ANY race, of any kind, unless the driver performed each and every task in the building of that car. Again, is that what you're saying?

I could go on with dozens of ridiculous comparisons, but there is no need, I would hope. Unless it is positively known that the fellow that bought the kit deliberately and intentionally tried to take credit for building the car, I still say he did no wrong.

Edited by smhardesty

3 minutes ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Representing someone else’s work as your own will get you banned. 

Where does it say in that original post that the guy attempted to do that? And unless a person was actually there and heard the man taking credit for the build, it can't be assumed or implied in any way. 

Apparently, the contest the car was entered in didn't have any rules requiring proof of workmanship and/or ownership.

32 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

It would really PSS ME OFF!!,  If its NOT right for a Parent, or any other student to do their school work for them, then it sure as hell isn't right for someone to enter a built model as there own!!….that's a no-brainer....

These two scenarios are as different as day and night. The reason a parent is not supposed to do work for his child has nothing to do with winning a prize. You're prohibited from doing the work because your child is supposed to be learning something. The project is created as a means of educating your child and also to help the child develop manual dexterity.

A guy who buys a model and enters it in a contest is most definitely a whole different matter. 

Edited by smhardesty

If someone entered something they had bought from me in a contest it wouldn't bother me that they were taking credit for my work, it would bother me that they are a liar and a cheater and I wouldn't knowingly sell anything to them again. I would be far more upset if I had entered my work in a contest and found out someone had bought their entry.

No it's not ok in my book.Its just lying.And in the end,the person that entered it,doesn't deserve to get any satisfaction.You have to build it YOURSELF..I feel its stupid,and pointless to enter someone else's model,,and try and pass it off as your own.Just my opinion.Actually I have to plead guilty,I've had models painted for me,and that's only cause my painting skills suck.:lol:.But I built the rest of the model.

Edited by NYLIBUD

Entering someone else's model in my club's contest is a no-no.  The contest rules specifically state that the model entered must be the work of the modeler who enters it in the contest. No collaborations.  it would be like you having someone run and win a 100 meter dash and then you taking the trophy. Not cool.  That's cheating.

If you think about it, if that was allowed, you could buy a a factory-built and beautifully made die-cast or resin model and enter it in the contest without having done any work on it.

2 hours ago, smhardesty said:

You guys are all ASSUMING the buyer made some attempt to pass it as his own work. I didn't get that impression reading the original post. Simply entering the model in a contest doesn't imply the guy attempted to claim it as his own work. It has simply been entered.

Why, do you know that contest's rules?  All the contests I have attended specifically state that the model entered must be the work of the person who entered it.  So just entering someone else's work constitutes cheating.

I really wouldn't care, I haven't gotten to the point of selling anything as of yet.  But if I were to sell a contest quality model, it would have already made the yearly circuit with me in the first place.  At that point it's a nice shelf piece, or something to bring out for the club display, but I wouldn't be entering it into another regularly attended contest anyways.  I know *gasp* actually building new models for the same contests - a bit shocking and unheard of these days.  One group of old fuddy duddies actually had the audacity to talk VERY LOUDLY about re-entering the same models over and over again every year.  To the tune of - "What do they expect us to build new models every year? REAL CAR BUILDERS DON'T DO THAT!!!"

I personally would love to see the reaction at AMBR or similar show if someone drug out the same car and re-entered it again the following year.  Seems like the people who build real cars - and by that I presume they meant professionals of that level - most certainly do build new cars all the time, especially for "competition".  Sure Joe Schmoe might only ever own a '69 Nova in his life, but going to Cars n Coffee every weekend and a couple of summer cruises isn't a competition either.

39 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

I personally would love to see the reaction at AMBR or similar show if someone drug out the same car and re-entered it again the following year.  Seems like the people who build real cars - and by that I presume they meant professionals of that level - most certainly do build new cars all the time, especially for "competition".  Sure Joe Schmoe might only ever own a '69 Nova in his life, but going to Cars n Coffee every weekend and a couple of summer cruises isn't a competition either.

George Barris did exactly that with the Ala Kart, so they put a stop to it.

I.ve been to hundreds of car shows, people there enter there beautiful cars, and win awards,, when it comes down to it,, Yes its there car, they own it,  But the only work they did,  was write out a check, or pay cash to have the car built, the way they want it,,

So, as for a plastic model car I had great enjoyment building . and now I want it gone,, Its not longer mine,, So oh well,  maybe I should of entered it before the New owner,,,  My lost, the new owners gain.

Same goes with the Saturday car show,, I hear people talk about there car,, what engine they used, paint, the hole nine yards,,  but when you get down to brass tacks,, you find out,, All he did was pay for it to be Done,,   think about it,,, its the same thing,,,,

That guy did the same thing, you built it,, he payed for it,, its his,, now he took it to a show and won....    

2 hours ago, peteski said:

Why, do you know that contest's rules? 

No. That's exactly my point. Do you know the rules for that contest run by that club or organization? I don't care how many different contests you have entered, where they were held, or what their rules are. The ONLY thing that is important is what the rules for THAT contest he entered say. Period. And I sure don't know and kind of doubt if you do.