Model Cars Magazine Forum

Barris '70 Impala (finished interior 16th December)

geetee66

Just stumbled upon this build. I've always overlooked this kit. Now I won't. It looks nice in silver. It looks like its going to be killer when finished. I'm curious as to how well the lines of tape pull up. I've seen several build ups of amazing paint and your pictures shoe me how to create them. This has the potential to be an absolutely killer build.

Always liked this exemplary 3-in-one kit; it just has a plethora of building options; lots of custom and speed parts from my era. It's a handsome body, the custom bits are tastefully done, and you, sir, are doing this body great justice!

11 hours ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

Great colour, i love that purple !   That `finger print` style is hard to pull off, but looks like you nailed it !

Really hope you have no issues when removing the tape, should look way CooL !   

Thanks man

I didn't know it was called 'fingerprint '. You learn something new every day!

I'm nervous about removing the tape, but the colour is going down thin, so hopefully I won't have that meniscus along the tape edge, which can cause problems ?

5 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Always liked this exemplary 3-in-one kit; it just has a plethora of building options; lots of custom and speed parts from my era. It's a handsome body, the custom bits are tastefully done, and you, sir, are doing this body great justice!

This kit had no stock option and I presume, less custom parts than the 'Heavy Chevy ' version of this kit, but you're right. It's a nice body style. 

19 hours ago, geetee66 said:

This kit had no stock option and I presume, less custom parts than the 'Heavy Chevy ' version of this kit, but you're right. It's a nice body style. 

Wow, that is really interesting. I own multiples of this kit, in 3 or 4 different boxings, and they pretty much all have the same options. The one I DON'T own is the low-rider boxing you have. That must be THE most specific packaging of all; I would love to see the sprues from that kit.

Just FYI, these are the versions I'm familiar with, all virtually identical in the box, and the boxes are crammed so full of parts, they are hard to replace after unpacking!

The only exception is the newer Heavy Chevy box, which is larger and does contain those newer, tampo-printed tires. PM me if you need some stock parts for another build.

70_5.jpg

70_4.jpg

70_3.jpg

70_2.jpg

70_1.JPG

On 27/11/2018 at 6:40 AM, bisc63 said:

Just FYI, these are the versions I'm familiar with, all virtually identical in the box, and the boxes are crammed so full of parts, they are hard to replace after unpacking!

The only exception is the newer Heavy Chevy box, which is larger and does contain those newer, tampo-printed tires. PM me if you need some stock parts for another build.

70_5.jpg

70_4.jpg

70_3.jpg

70_2.jpg

70_1.JPG

In contrast, the Barris version has a fair bit of room in the box and the sprues look like parts have been omitted.

thanks for the offer of parts

Very impressive work. I have often admired some of the painting skills demonstrated on well build low rider models over the years, but this thread provides some of the best insight yet into how it is done. You definitely have a good eye for a great line. Thanks for posting this WIP.

Got some bench time today ?

I sprayed candy blue over the fingerprint design and did a lengthways fade over the silver lines, from trunk to hood.

I lightly sprayed a metallic blue over the purple, in places.

The hours spent applying the fine lines, seem to have been worth it.

gotta do the centre panels next. No idea of colour combos, really. I l'll just make it up as I go along!

IMG_2846.JPG

IMG_2851.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

IMG_2860.JPG

IMG_2861.JPG

IMG_2862.JPG

• Like 1