Model Cars Magazine Forum

1991 Geo Storm Beater

Chuck Most

This is an old AMT dealer promo that was redone to resemble what a 1991 Storm would look like today, if there were any 1991 Storms left today. It's hard to see through the dirty tinted windows, but there's a case of Molson Ice in the trunk and several cassettes strewn across the top of the dash. 

IMG_8059.thumb.JPG.d29fc35e19eac20e4e562e14a6a4c5a6.JPGIMG_8060.thumb.JPG.43c74f3eeccde2fbc1c5c78d07b15f41.JPGIMG_8061.thumb.JPG.8f2ecfb406c9e6f5a56d8b46168e3b5f.JPG

Chuck, you nailed this, especially the rust in the rear quarters!  I clearly recall that flaw in this body design that caused the quarters to rust through prematurely.

A former co-worker "inherited" his wife's bright yellow Storm after she decided she needed an SUV.  By the time he finally got rid of it, the quarters looked just like this.

MVC-003SMVC-005F

We had a bullet proof Geo Storm!  It was the first car for both my daughters, above is the high school graduation photo for both. There was a lapse between both of them using the car/ next daughter getting her license so I drove it to work a few times a week to keep it in motion.  After my younger daughter graduated and I bought her the Celica Convertible to use for college, I again reclaimed the Storm.  We finally donated it when we moved to PA in 2012.  It never failed us. I did routine maintenance.... things like brakes, timing chain etc.  over the ten years or so we owned it.  It had been rust proofed when new so it had no body rust whatsoever! It was still a great car when we gave it away, we just had too many cars.  I regret that, I always thought it was a neat little vehicle to drive!

As far as the Geo Tracker promos, those were done for a few years and reflected the changes in the front end and headlight treatment.  They are still plentiful and cheap.  When I first asked about them when I was at Dave Burket's house, he pulled out a whole tray of them and told me just to give him $20.  Still whenever I see one at a show for $5 I will buy it.

My friends in South Africa thought they were neat.  Peter Thomas was at my house so I let him take a yellow one home.  His friend Gerhardt later emailed me about them so I shipped him one as well.  I never did see what they did with them!

If you do choose to buy one, be warned that they are difficult to get apart.  They are heat fused together!  

Note- I no longer have the car but still have the daughters!

Edited by Tom Geiger

18 hours ago, AMC ROB said:

The "winking" headlights are the ultimate smile-maker. Too funny! Great work. Anyone remember seeing one in metallic raspberry (or whatever that shade of pink was called)? And is that a Saturn front plate?

Hey Yea your right,that is a Saturn plate.Hmmm.Sorry,but I always hated these cars.No offense,to me they're absolute ugly death traps.And the reason why you don't really see them on the road any longer,is because they simply rotted away.GM garbage,designed and built by Isuzu.:mellow:Blaaaaa

2 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Hey Yea your right,that is a Saturn plate.Hmmm.Sorry,but I always hated these cars.No offense,to me they're absolute ugly death traps.And the reason why you don't really see them on the road any longer,is because they simply rotted away.GM garbage,designed and built by Isuzu.:mellow:Blaaaaa

They made great Figure 8 racers, though! ?