Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mass State Police '63 Ford 300

Rdkingjay

This model started out as a Galaxie 500 Promo, donated for this project by Tom Sheehy. Next month, this car will be on permanent display in the Mass. State Police Museum and Learning Center.

This promo was the only one out there that has the correct roof for the Ford 300, which is what our 1:1’s were, back in the day. Aside from having to sand off all of the extra trim, and fill in the fender spears, I also had to scribe out the seams between the front fenders and rockers as well as the front cowl. The rest of the seams were also opened up. The most tedious job was to build the window frames. Not fun and very fragile. 

I have three AMT 63 Galaxie kits missing various parts but they each have the custom rear taillight/valence piece, that I had to heavily modify to replicate the base 300 look, as opposed to the much more ornate chrome egg-crate piece that came on the promo.  The grille section is original to the promo and faded enough to replicate a stainless appearance. I cut it away from the original bumper. I then used an AMT bumper. This allowed me to paint the small filler between them and have a more accurate looking front end, that isn’t straight shiny chrome. Rims and tires are also from the AMT kit and the hub caps are resin pieces that Tom also donated.  The Ford emblems are photo etched and the door locks are actually styrene rod, that are inserted thru a hole in each door. Better than a paint dab I think.

The interior is painted in an actual Ford interior color and the radio gear are parts box resin pieces.

The bubblegum machine and spot light are also parts box pieces and the antenna is scratch built.

I painted this in my usual two stage basecoat/clear process, with real French and Electric Blue. The clear laid down perfectly, with not one spec of dust, so it required no sanding or polishing out.

IMG_5012.JPG

IMG_5013.JPG

IMG_5014.JPG

IMG_5016.JPG

IMG_5021.JPG

IMG_5024.JPG

2.png

13.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

IMG_3633.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG

On 2018-12-14 at 11:58 PM, Rdkingjay said:

Rims and tires are also from the AMT kit and the hub caps are resin pieces that Tom also donated. 

IMG_5012.JPG

IMG_5013.JPG

IMG_5014.JPG

2.png

Nice build indeed.

I would like to get hold of a set of the poverty hubcaps, I have been looking all over for them as I use those poverty caps on my 1:1 Galaxie.
64 and 66-67 caps is easy as they are available in recent kits but I haven't found any 63 caps anywhere.

Here is a picture of my car, yes it's the top of the line 500XL and I have more exclusive hubcaps for it (14 inch tho'), but I like this look with the 15-7, 15-8 inch wheels and poverty caps.IMG_2360.thumb.JPG.fe92140ae06a66d904927c5ed2e49df9.JPG

Edited by Force

That's a first class build of a favourite car and year of mine.

I'm biased as I owned an early '63 galaxie 500XL, black on black, a while back. Mine was not a cop car, but I Hotrodded the hell out of it instead! After the 390 blew up, a 460 and C6 got slotted in along with ARE wheels and fat tires. I had more fun with that car than is legal. 

Happy days.

Tony.