Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius '61 Pontiac with doors, trunk, fuel door, etc. openable

traditional

This modified Moebius plastic kit is somewhat unusual for me because, now-a-days, I prefer building using predominantly metal model bodies and details….more time consuming to modify than plastic, but generally resulting in a much more durable finished product.

My other hobby of collecting high quality diecast models over the last 25 years has, unfortunately, made me unsatisfied building most curbside plastic kits because I now expect to be able to open hinged engine hoods, trunk-lids, doors, and even fuel -filler doors, etc.  I’m surprised that, after six decades or more, plastic kit manufacturers, for the most part, still expect models to be displayed with the hood off to see the engine detail.

I really love the styling of ’61 Pontiacs, but since there were no metal versions available in 1/25 scale, I decided to use one of Moebius’ attractive plastic kits as starting material and attempt to add all the usual detail to which I’ve become accustomed.  The Mobius kit is really nicely molded although, like most high detail plastic kits, it has a few fixable minor issues…..poorly fitting windshield and back-light, thick bolt flange detail on the otherwise gorgeous Pontiac 8-lug wheels, as well as a slightly awkward front fender opening as well as bulky front bumper side and depth detail). I also found that the ‘wide-trak’ was a bit over emphasized compared to 1/1 reference. Test fitting should be done during assembly of any model car, but this Pontiac model has an interference fit to most tabs and slots making drilling or trimming especially necessary to allow painted parts to fit. I also found that I had to trim back the leading edge of the engine hood so it wouldn’t protrude when closed.

Cutting open the doors and trunk lid is relatively easy on plastic kits compared to metal, but the down-side is that the body becomes quite flimsy as the molded-on structure is cut away. I found it necessary to epoxy on a stiff brass wire frame to beef up the inside of the a-pillars and rear posts, helping to keep the body relatively straight.  Armed with lots of photo reference, I also cut down the bottom edge of the front bumper, and shortened its side detail at the same time as softening the radius on the front of the fender opening. The molded-on fuel door was easily cut out and a hinged filler-door was formed in soldered brass to keep it looking relatively thin while maintaining integrity.

Using styrene sheet, I fabricated the inner trunk detail depicting a slightly wrinkled vinyl floor mat as well as forming the typical complex underside structure of the trunk lid. To the chassis, I added parking brake detail, rear axle brake-line, aluminum tubing tail-pipe, poseable steering, and fabricated wire coil springs to raise the ride height according to most reference of high performance 1/1 Venturas. I also found a way to hinge the engine hood while retaining Mobius’ simulated Pontiac hood hinges at the sides.

Hinge structures for the opening hood, trunk and doors were formed using stiff piano wire mated to styrene and aluminum receptacles, and the main ‘Ventura’ side-trim was formed in thin stainless wire terminating in tiny holes drilled into the body.

The main paint is automotive two-part basecoat/clearcoat with Humbrol , Tamiya, and Testors used to pick out many small details. I also added Model Car Garage photo-etch for some of the nameplates, etc.

1-P1120499-003.JPG

1-P1120500-003.JPG

1-P1120502-003.JPG

1-P1130503-001.JPG

1-P1130506-001.JPG

1-P1130511-001.JPG

1-P1150516-001.JPG

1-P1160527-001.JPG

1-P1160528-001.JPG

1-P1200530-001.JPG

1-P1210536-001.JPG

1-P1230543-001.JPG

1-P1260547-001.JPG

1-P1260548-001.JPG

1-P1290551-001.JPG

1-P1290553-001.JPG

1-P1290563.JPG

1-P1290564.JPG

1-P1290566-001.JPG

1-P1290568-001.JPG

1-P1290558-001.JPG

Edited by traditional

18 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

Stellar build, but unfortunately the doors are not hinged correctly. they should tuck into the front fenders not swing out, but kudos for the effort., one  of the best I've seen..

I would have thought so as well, but when I was building ,I googled pics of '61 pontiac open doors and, wonder of wonders, they open out on two dog-legs. see pics below

1-61 pontiac h.jpg

1-61 pontiac.jpg

HOMINA HOMINA HOMINA!-Ralph Kramden

Remember ( if you can ) how working everything was a huge deal in the 60's?Working hinges everywhere, I even recall a dipstick that measured real oil!

OUTSTANDING, it looks very right! Did you measure and photograph the structural details?
I'm building a "Rat Packer" and was lucky enough to have a real Chevy 2 to copy gutted details. Sources for such stuff would be great!
ONE AMAZING MODEL!

BEAUTIFUL! :wub:

And a very good idea reinforcing those A and C pillars! I'll have to keep that in mind if/when the time comes to build mine. Great job on the wheels too......that's something that stuck out to me like a sore thumb when I first opened my kit.

8 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Stellar build, but unfortunately the doors are not hinged correctly. they should tuck into the front fenders not swing out, but kudos for the effort., one  of the best I've seen..

AFAIK, all GM B and C bodied doors swung outwards on gooseneck hinges through 1966. There were some exceptions......the Toronado for instance used gooseneck hinges through 1970!