Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Gulf" LHD Super 7

Scale-Master

I started this project in October of 2016.  It's been fun.

While it is another Caterham Super 7, it is as unique in its own right as all the others I've built.

It was a Tamiya factory built that I fully disassembled (breaking some parts along the way) and rebuilt and re-engineered using an uncountable amount of scratch-built and machined parts.

It was right hand drive; it is now left hand drive.  The removable roof is fabricated from brass.

I played around with different configurations of how to stow the stuff in the back before settling on the way it is in the second to last photo.

For all the details of how it was built, here's a link to the WIP thread within this forum:

All buttoned up; everything installed:

EZjASWX.jpg

JMKRVKa.jpg

5O7mprq.jpg

QJt9CpD.jpg

tIgHCKS.jpg

Top off, street legal and ready for cruising:

IC1nDvM.jpg

ppzrHOg.jpg

rJqBe9w.jpg

TgSW5to.jpg

Spare off, ready to race once the "trunk" is emptied:

lPBN7OW.jpg

G48aiZa.jpg

6D1TevU.jpg

vfbq8Im.jpg

TfstSUM.jpg

ELdfsLo.jpg

QugDr7M.jpg

0sJg5ph.jpg

Bottom side:

IAVYnRv.jpg

Edited by Scale-Master

I like the Gulf livery paint job. The attention to the engine detail is amazing. I remember seeing an amateur sports club race years ago and one of these 7's was leading the way. The driver would come out of a turn on the infield with one front tire in the air on almost every turn.   

You did it, Mark...... your Caterham Super 7 is ' Under Glass '..... and what a beauty. This scale model car is without a doubt impressive, inspirational, extremely well built and any other superlative that I could think of. Having followed your build since I joined MCM during November of 2016, this means that I only missed the beginning of your project by one month I believe !

David

That engine work is beautiful Mark

..along with every other bit that you made for this one...Wow !!

The foam intake covers got me first .. now I see the unhooked license plate light feed...

Crazy good stuff   Thanks for the trip,..Cheers

Edited by Belugawrx

As spectacular as Mark's build is, you probably won't get the full sense of the skill and creativity involved unless you review the WIP thread.  I assume most of us aspire to build at this level, but there aren't a whole lot of other modelers who are incorporating brass and machined/milled metal, let alone parts cast from aluminum-impregnated resin in an effort to achieve results like this.  

Typically, the paint is excellent and the assembly work is virtually flawless.  Given everything involved in the making of this model, I'm almost surprised it doesn't run.

If there is a downside to seeing a build like this, it's being reminded of my place in the modeling pecking order:

l2.jpg.8254123d7bf3299408387305aa7842bc.jpg

Edited by Monty

Thanks guys!  Your comments and compliments mean a lot to me.

I took it to the 27th annual GSL International Scale Vehicle Championship last weekend. (This was my 20th year in attendance.)

It earned Best In Class, The Augie (Best Machining), The Gerald Wingrove Scratch-Building award and Overall Judges Best of Show.

Time to build something else...

Mark it was a real treat to see this model in person. A well deserved award. I'm fairly certain everyone who saw it realized quickly they were now competing for second place. And it was nice to meet you as well.