Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby Summer 19 clearance

Stopped by today to get some knife blades, and no sale stuff left on the model aisle. I checked the clearance corner, and they had 2 Prowlers, and a Trojan Horse funny car for $6.29. I guess they aren't going to carry display cases anymore, because they had the last 3 on sale for $2.49 so I grabbed 2 of them.

I stopped at one of the local Hobby Lobby stores today and scored an unexpected deal. I picked up a Corvette C7R kit marked at $26.99 and with my 40% off coupon I  figured  it would be $16.19 plus tax. The cashier scanned it and it came up as $16.99 ( and not as a mark down.) so with the tax and my coupon it came to $10.80. My lucky day!

• 2 weeks later...

Report from Exton PA:

I was in the store on Friday.  They were resetting the kits, but when I asked they said they were just rearranging to add incoming kits without anything going to clearance.   Then I noticed, in an odd location, a couple of the Prowler and the old Lindberg boat.  I bought one of each, just because.

I got talking with a manager and he told me something.  He said Amazon has an app that allows people to scan a box and see what it sells for on Amazon.  He says resellers are combing the entire store with it!   

At one of my local stores they have taken about 21 spots that were formerly occupied by styrene car kits, and put diecast kits in their place. It appears they are re-arranging the entire aisle. But so far, no effect to the military and aviation kit sections. The holes that were created by the clearance sale have not been filled with new kits, but instead simply eliminated to help the consolidation effort. Nothing new from this year from either Round2 or Revell (with the exception of the 69 Stang and 68 Chevelle from Revell)

I frequent my LHS, and use them to buy brand new kits, supplies and special orders. I use HL for purchases of kits I probably wouldn't purchase for full price because I have marginal interest in them. Or for purchasing parts kits. HL doesn't really take my business away from the LHS, so if HL is not going to carry as many of these kits I have "marginal interest" in, that's their loss.

Stopped by my closest Hobby Lobby today:

--lots of new diecasts, including some nice 1/24 scale items. 

--no new plastic kits, and no kits on clearance or on sale.

--the ATLANTIS re-pops are making their way into HL.  This store had the ex-Revell 1/92 scale B-24J and 1/64 scale B-25. And the ex-Aurora/Helicopters For Industry 1/48 scale H-25 "Army Mule" helicopter.  I couldn't resist that one. Full HL price is $19.99, with the coupon only $12.91.  Here's a review of the kit, with some ideas for improving it:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/atl/kit_atl_a502.shtml

atl_MULE.jpg

Found myself in Oklahoma City today for work and figured the HL stores in the city of their headquarters would be the ones that would have the most up-to-date planograms and if there was anything new, these stores would be the first to have it.

Well, guess what? It's the same here as it is elsewhere folks! Same diecast creeping into the plastic section. What is interesting is the variance in prices I have seen. Last week in NC I grabbed a Revell 68 Chevelle at a HL that was marked $22.99 and here it was $29.99. I am thinking someone in NC mis-marked that kit because I could have sworn I saw it at other stores for $29.99.

They had a 65 and 68 El Camino kit in the clearance section for $14.99 each so I grabbed them because I can't help myself. They had a Foose F-100 for $6.75, but it was missing the chrome so I passed on it. 

Now to figure out how to get those kits into my suitcase for the plane ride home!

43 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

Found myself in Oklahoma City today for work and figured the HL stores in the city of their headquarters would be the ones that would have the most up-to-date planograms and if there was anything new, these stores would be the first to have it.

Well, guess what? It's the same here as it is elsewhere folks! 

HL moved in Pennsylvania and New Jersey in the past few years... I have found all of their stores to be exactly the same!  Aisle set up and even the very same things on the same hooks!   Spooky Scary Stepford!  ?

46 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

HL moved in Pennsylvania and New Jersey in the past few years... I have found all of their stores to be exactly the same!  Aisle set up and even the very same things on the same hooks!   Spooky Scary Stepford!  ?

Nothing new...K-Mart used to be the same way.  When I worked out of town, or went to the Toledo show, if I needed something I'd hit the nearest K-Mart. X number of aisles in, so many off to the left, there's the snacks.  Toy & Hobby was usually near the middle of the store, later on it was further to the back.  When they got away from that and went "upscale" (or tried to), they handed that market over to the folks from Bentonville on a silver platter...

I stopped into my local store since I was passing it today.   Nothing on sale in the kit aisle.  Saw the same movement of more diecast onto the shelves that others had noticed at their stores. Went to the clearance corner and at first glance saw nothing, but once I moved a few boxes I found one '66 Mercury for $7.49, one of the show cases for $2.29 and interestingly enough one of the diecast Greenlight trailers for $7.49.   I grabbed all of those!

I did leave behind 3 of the cabin cruisers...  no sale at any price!

image.png.c1eef68bafafaa6f6f6d295fc7cd3c91.png

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I stopped into my local store since I was passing it today.   Nothing on sale in the kit aisle.  Saw the same movement of more diecast onto the shelves that others had noticed at their stores. Went to the clearance corner and at first glance saw nothing, but once I moved a few boxes I found one '66 Mercury for $7.49, one of the show cases for $2.29 and interestingly enough one of the diecast Greenlight trailers for $7.49.   I grabbed all of those!

Nice score on the Shasta trailer. My HL had ONE once a couple years ago and I have never seen another one there since.

Stopped in at Deerfield yesterday evening and spotted three Plymouth Prowlers on the clearance shelf for $7.99. (They have the Atlantis airplane kits in as well.)

Went to Michael's on the way home, and they had a Revell snap-kit '57 Chevy for $8.99, and an opened '67 Shelby for $28.99 (SRSLY?:blink:).

7 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I stopped by mine a few times looking for the Mercury and never found one. Nice little score Tom..

11 hours ago, shoopdog said:

Nice score on the Shasta trailer. My HL had ONE once a couple years ago and I have never seen another one there since.

My HL always has a few of the Greenlight trailers.  I've just never seen one on clearance!  So I grabbed it.

9 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Stopped in at Deerfield yesterday evening and spotted three Plymouth Prowlers on the clearance shelf for $7.99.

There were a few of the Prowlers on my last trip so I bought one.  The wheels and tires in this kit are worth the $7.99

shortyfront

Here's a set of the Prowler wheels...

• 3 weeks later...

Breezed through the 'Lobby today on my way to the beer store.  On the clearance rack they had 3 ZZ Top '34 Fords.  I bought one.  There was still one of the Lindbergh cabin cruisers there.. not salable at any price!   ?

I used my magic coupon to buy another Foose Ford pickup.  Another chassis to fiddle with!