Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby Summer 19 clearance

I have never seen models marked down and I have no idea where there is a "clearance section". From what I've read it could be anywhere. Only been to the Hobby Lobby a handful of times so maybe next time I should wander around more to see what I might find.

16 hours ago, RichCostello said:

At the HL here, the clearance priced kits don't get put in the clearance section unless they've sat on the model shelves for a long time and failed to sell.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason from store to store... someone here posted that they got a couple Foose Ford pickups on clearance, but there were others of the same kit still on the shelf for full price!    

And I checked my local store yesterday...  the only model in the clearance area is that Lindberg cabin cruiser. Same kit has been sitting there for weeks, no sale at any price!

33 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

There seems to be no rhyme or reason from store to store... someone here posted that they got a couple Foose Ford pickups on clearance, but there were others of the same kit still on the shelf for full price!    

And I checked my local store yesterday...  the only model in the clearance area is that Lindberg cabin cruiser. Same kit has been sitting there for weeks, no sale at any price!

That was me with the pickups Tom. They were in the clearance section but they still had some on the shelf. When I went before. All the mark downs were in the model section. What RichColtello says. Must be after a certain time period. But when I checked other day. The Foose trucks were still available on the shelf at regular price. Check out their website and look at all the new die-cast kits coming in. 

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

I've picked up clearance kits on the model isle, clearance section, odd end cap and center gondola anywhere in the store they please. 

I', lucky there are HL stores near each of my kids and my brothers.....all operate different and laid out different. 

In the last week I have checked the three local HL's that I shop at and non of them seem to have any sale kits at this time. When they do have them they seem to approach their sale in several different ways. One store will usually have them in the Clearance area or on a kiosk in one of the isles. Another store will leave them in the regular model area but with the red sale tags. The third will do one or all of the things the other two stores do. My impression is that it is left up to the store manager or who ever is in charge of the model department as to how they're going to merchandise the kits. My suggestion would be no matter where you go to HL in your area look around since there doesn't seem to be a set policy as to how they will be displayed. 

Sometimes even the same store will change things up- I've found kits marked down in the clearance section, and the same identical kit in the model section still at full price. To compound matters, there are other kits in the regular kit section that are marked down. 

(I ferret them out regardless)

1 hour ago, gman said:

Sometimes even the same store will change things up- I've found kits marked down in the clearance section, and the same identical kit in the model section still at full price. To compound matters, there are other kits in the regular kit section that are marked down. 

(I ferret them out regardless)

Yep, same thing with display cases. I bought 3 or 4 cases from the clearance section for $2.49, and the same ones were on the shelves for $9.99.

Went to the 2 closest Hobby Lobbys today because I was checking the 2 Local Ollie's store for their model sale. No mark downs at either Hobby Lobby store. And I did get a GTO at Ollies but it's a mess. Wish I didn't waste the $10. Nothing lines up with the chassis and body.

On 9/28/2019 at 12:54 AM, RichCostello said:

Yep, same thing with display cases. I bought 3 or 4 cases from the clearance section for $2.49, and the same ones were on the shelves for $9.99.

I thought that was the case recently here as well,but there was a difference, mirror vs non mirror. When I DO find that, I ask if they will honor the price on all, and usually they do, but not always. I have been told before that they base the price on the purchase, stock number.

On 10/5/2019 at 5:57 PM, ewetwo said:

Went to the 2 closest Hobby Lobbys today because I was checking the 2 Local Ollie's store for their model sale. No mark downs at either Hobby Lobby store. And I did get a GTO at Ollies but it's a mess. Wish I didn't waste the $10. Nothing lines up with the chassis and body.

With a little work, that builds into a decent looking kit. I know many old kits need some recatangular strips added for "rocker panels" and it helps a lot with fitting.

Here is a 75 Dodge Dart I have done this to. Seems a lot of the MPC based kits are benifited with this modification. Many MPC based kits also need some rear mounting points, pictured is the same 75 Dart kit.

Worst case, a great Saturday night stock car.

I have only ever found one kit I could not do something with to make me happy with it.

IMG_20191007_011552[1].jpg

IMG_20191007_011602[1].jpg

IMG_20191007_012123[1].jpg

Edited by Sledsel

14 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

I thought that was the case recently here as well,but there was a difference, mirror vs non mirror. When I DO find that, I ask if they will honor the price on all, and usually they do, but not always. I have been told before that they base the price on the purchase, stock number.

That wasn't the case here, I normally buy the non mirrored cases that sell for $8.99, but the ones with the clearance prices were the ones with mirrored bases.

15 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Make sure to check the box as someone in my area is switching the cases to get a lower price.

greg

24 minutes ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Make sure to check the box as someone in my area is switching the cases to get a lower price.

greg

I know the woman who took care of the model section of Hobby Lobby in Latham said they had a lot of problems with people opening the kits and taking parts out. They were going to install security cameras because of this problem. Sad that this is an issue. I understand she left though. Might be the reason they are bringing more diecast kits in. I also noticed the diecast kits they are bringing in show no glue needed to build. 

15 hours ago, Sledsel said:

With a little work, that builds into a decent looking kit. I know many old kits need some recatangular strips added for "rocker panels" and it helps a lot with fitting.

Here is a 75 Dodge Dart I have done this to. Seems a lot of the MPC based kits are benifited with this modification. Many MPC based kits also need some rear mounting points, pictured is the same 75 Dart kit.

Worst case, a great Saturday night stock car.

I have only ever found one kit I could not do something with to make me happy with it.

IMG_20191007_011552[1].jpg

IMG_20191007_011602[1].jpg

IMG_20191007_012123[1].jpg

I was looking at it today and it seems you can take a tab of the plastic frame unit off and it lines up pretty well. On that tab are two spacers that you's need to remove and put where the screws hole are to give it the proper stance. No biggie really. 

On 10/7/2019 at 3:08 PM, GLMFAA1 said:

greg

People don't even need to switch the case, just slide the adhesive backed mirror piece out and put it in the lower price box. I've been bitten by someone doing this before. I open every case I get because I've been burned by broken cases, so I look for that. But I didn't notice the missing mirror piece, so now I have to remember to look for that every time as well. HL was more than happy to make an exchange for me though.

On 10/7/2019 at 1:36 PM, ewetwo said:

I know the woman who took care of the model section of Hobby Lobby in Latham said they had a lot of problems with people opening the kits and taking parts out. They were going to install security cameras because of this problem. Sad that this is an issue. I understand she left though. Might be the reason they are bringing more diecast kits in. I also noticed the diecast kits they are bringing in show no glue needed to build. 

On 10/7/2019 at 1:08 PM, GLMFAA1 said:

greg

Both very very shameful indeed.