Model Cars Magazine Forum

Backbug

Russell C

• 1 year later...

Kind of reminds me of a reversed '50 Studebaker coupe built long ago and far away by close friend and full time crazy person Andy Martin. That was a few decades ago and caused quite a stir whenever it was shown. I remember asking him after seeing it for the first time if it had inspired by him having born breech:-)

Edited by misterNNL
Misspelled work

1 hour ago, misterNNL said:

... a reversed '50 Studebaker coupe built long ago and far away by close friend and full time crazy person Andy Martin....

Was that his black one with the multi color stripes? Yep, agreed - Andy would be just fine if he wasn't totally nuts.

Yes,that was the one. He put some sort of a very small spiral piece along both rocker panels. When I Asked him what they were he replied "QED' s". When asked what that meant he replied"questionable aerodynamic devices". Yes he just crazy enuf to have one of the founding members of the MALay my house in 1980. He drove an El Camino the had at one time been decorated with peel and stick flames on it's rocker panels. Those had come off but the adhesive was still there. That adhesive had collected enough road dirt to be visible. We dubbed it the "Glue Flame Special"

How did I miss this thread at the time?? 

Such vintage Russell Cook!

No better description than "So cool, and so disturbing at the same time."  [Pretty succinct.]

Very creative concept; excellent model, Russell. 

Truly a marvelously singular, kooky Cook-y Monster in the best Klingon tradition!

Cheers!  ?

9 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

Stop! It's making me dizzy. .... Gold stars for the engine...

At the GSL contest, I had my fun spotting a few of the guys wrinkling their nose or forehead & eyebrows trying to figure out what was wrong with it (at first glance, a car guy will just think "a Bug" and then move on, only then to stop and think, "wait, what?). But with the deck lid open, I got to hear one other thing I was hoping for:  several of the guys from the Town of Newburgh Model Car Club were looking intently at the engine before one of them said something like, "count the velocity stacks - it's a flat 5!" Whereupon they all burst out laughing. Mission accomplished.

Making the world a happier place one strange model at a time!

Edited by Russell C
typo

On 8/31/2019 at 3:54 PM, Koellefornia Kid said:

As a german, I used to see hundreds of beetles every day when I was a kid, so this one looks a bit disturbing to me. Nevertheless it´s an awesome build! Very creative and nicely executed! After having a few more looks at it I wish VW would have actually built something like that!

well said!