Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Look - Round 2's updated AMT 1963 Impala SS

tim boyd

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

Since there is a top down boot cover, I wonder if the interior tub is set up for a convertible version.

Was there ever a distinct hardtop interior tub, or was the convertible interior the only option for both the AMT '63 Chevy Impala hardtop and convertible kits?

3 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

Tim, thanks for sharing information about his kit. You have tipped the scales and now I am seriously going to buy this kit.

Yeah, I blame a fair bit of my horde on Tim's reviews and hpiguy's videos.  I'm all "Nah, I don't need that..."  Then, I read a review of Tim's or watch a build of hpiguy ....  and I go buy the kit.  :)

21 hours ago, Dale Gribble said:

I want the custom parts , finally I can build a proper 60’s Wild show car ... 

Today on eBay I saw an original unbuilt '63 kit, appears to be complete with all original parts. Sitting there about $30 now, but several days to do, so it's sure to go much higher. Still, if you want one, might be worth watching--sometimes stuff like this goes surprisingly low. B)

On 9/30/2019 at 9:16 PM, Snake45 said:

Today on eBay I saw an original unbuilt '63 kit, appears to be complete with all original parts. Sitting there about $30 now, but several days to do, so it's sure to go much higher. Still, if you want one, might be worth watching--sometimes stuff like this goes surprisingly low. B)

Interesting...thanks Richard.  A couple of years back I talked to Hank Borger about his and Bill Coulter's all time best kit award (as described in Hank's Scrap Box column in one of the last ever issued of Car Model (c. 1974 or so.)),  Hank mentioned that his "runner up" choice just behind the Jo-Han Turbine (the kit that Hank and Bill ultimately decided was the all time best) was AMT's 1963 Impala annual kit.  So all you guys that respect that kit, several very respected voices in the model car journalism world seem to agree....TIM  

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Interesting...thanks Richard.  A couple of years back I talked to Hank Borger about his and Bill Coulter's all time best kit award (as described in Hank's Scrap Box column in one of the last ever issued of Car Model (c. 1974 or so.)),  Hank mentioned that his "runner up" choice just behind the Jo-Han Turbine (the kit that Hank and Bill ultimately decided was the all time best) was AMT's 1963 Impala annual kit.  So all you guys that respect that kit, several very respected voices in the model car journalism world seem to agree....TIM  

In 1974 , I couldn't find an annual 63 impala. So, I bought a 63 Impala promo for $20 which I thought was tons of money. The reason the 1963 Impala is so beautiful is that a GM Cadillac designer came up with the grille design.

On 9/30/2019 at 9:16 PM, Snake45 said:

They have gone from $200 in 1985 to what you see now