Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Look - Round 2's updated AMT 1963 Impala SS

tim boyd

From the tiny images on the box bottom in the Round2 video, it looks like the same simplified version from the last run of the kit. Heads and Intake in one casting, so no engine build options. Since the one piece engine lower casting is back in the kit, I'd suggest a curbside build. Or borrow the engine from AMT's '64 Impala.

1 hour ago, RDean58 said:

The best thing to do with this kits frame and engine is to swap it out with the one from the AMT 64 Impala (easy) or the AMT 62 Belair (harder). If you used the 62 Belair kit you would be getting a great 409!

31.jpg

30.jpg

Robert...wondered about that myself....yours looks great!  Thanks for posting....TIM 

Nice to see the firewall. I used a '64 chassis, motor and firewall to build the last one I did. Would have liked to see the separate red tail lights again! I will probably get one, even though I have a few of the later issues already. The mags are nice and the new tires are always useful..... Maybe it will show up cheap at Hobby Lobby, lol! 

5 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I wonder how well the chassis' from the Revell '62-'64 Impalas would work? Thinking the '62 came with a 409 also. The '62 and 3 have small blocks. I have the Revell kit. But, never have built it. 

All three fit. The only thing is that you'd need to use the interiors from those kits since their transmission tunnels are wider than the one on the AMT kit's tub. The Revell '63 & '64 firewalls fit like a glove when the small tabs located at the outer top ends are removed. The AMT '62 Impala and Bel Air chassis will work as well; although,  as with the Revell kits, the transmission tunnels are somewhat wider than the AMT '63's.