Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Oldsmobile 442 W-30

StevenGuthmiller

4 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Stunning work , Steve ! 

The brightwork along the tops of the fenders , doors , and quarter windows ---- that would drive me to insanity ! I would be terrified of slipping the knife . 

Mighty fine Olds A-Bod !

I use a method utilizing tape to help guide the blade.

It greatly reduces the risk of slipping, and helps considerably to maintain a perfectly straight cut.

I never would have gotten the fender well trim so perfectly round without running a thin strip of blue painters tape around the outside edge before cutting.

Steve

Thanks folks!

I appreciate your kind comments.

58 minutes ago, 72 Charger said:

Just WOW stunning work Steve. I wanted to ask how do your wheel weights and valves? 

Really pretty simple Dave.

The valve stems are just short pieces of stretched black sprue that were inserted from the back side through holes drilled in the wheel.

The wheel weights are also short pieces of stretched sprue that I bent to put a slight curve in them and then glued to the wheel rim and painted aluminum.

I added a couple of thin lines of aluminum paint from the weight, around the edge of the rim to simulate the weight clamps.

No more complicated than that. ;)

Steve

2 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thanks folks!

I appreciate your kind comments.

Really pretty simple Dave.

The valve stems are just short pieces of stretched black sprue that were inserted from the back side through holes drilled in the wheel.

The wheel weights are also short pieces of stretched sprue that I bent to put a slight curve in them and then glued to the wheel rim and painted aluminum.

I added a couple of thin lines of aluminum paint from the weight, around the edge of the rim to simulate the weight clamps.

No more complicated than that. ;)

Steve

Thanks Steve simple but effective 

I appreciate all of your encouraging comments fellas!

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

At this point I just have to ask; do you ever do any mild commission work, or would you even consider it? I have a '59 El Camino that naturally enough has a lot of chrome, and I'm lousy with BMF, whereas you seem to have completely mastered that particular art.

I hadn't really thought about it Kevin, but I am not above helping out a fellow modeler on occasion.

I'm not really sure of how a guy would go about charging a reasonable fee for such a job.

I spent a good portion of an afternoon foiling half of this Olds.

If I had to guess, I would say that I probably spent at least a good 4 hours continuously at the bench doing what I've done so far.

If that's any indication of the total time required, we're probably talking at least 8 hours of actual work time, depending on the model.

What is my time worth?

Good question!

But even on the low side, I would expect that very few people would value themselves at less than $12.00 per hour.

So, even at that rate, we're talking nearly $100.00 just for a foil job, and that doesn't include materials.

Materials are not particularly expensive, (foil, tape, swabs, toothpicks) but still, we are probably talking about $120.00 minimum.

If I recall correctly, the '59 El Camino is not particularly labor intensive as far as foil work goes, except for around the glass areas, but my guess is that we would still be talking about somewhere in that 8 hour time frame.

Anyway Kevin, all that said, if you would like to talk about anything related to this subject, shoot me a PM.

I'm certainly willing to talk to you about it.

Steve

My lord. I don't know whether to sell off my collection or take serious heed here. This build is one of the most amazing builds I have ever seen. A master builder is too minor a title for someone with your skillset sir.  Thank you for letting us be a part of this incredible journey.

Many, many thanks guys!

I appreciate it!

6 hours ago, buxxx69 said:

My lord. I don't know whether to sell off my collection or take serious heed here. This build is one of the most amazing builds I have ever seen. A master builder is too minor a title for someone with your skillset sir.  Thank you for letting us be a part of this incredible journey.

I thank you Jarrod, but it's not really as grand or noble as that.

Just a "kid" who still loves putting together little plastic cars EVEN MORE than he did 50 years ago. :P

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller