Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 Cannonball Run Build Thread!

disconovaman

•  
53 minutes ago, Jhedir6 said:

Just to clarify the "twist" rule....

That is correct. We had discussed it on another thread that the vehicle can be updated so it could technically win a real cannonball run. 

The Rules are... Movie car appearance, (same make and model) Optional Hi performance modifications to finish or win...or build it to exact specs per the movie... Some folks might prefer to build it as it was in the movie.. I'll leave the rest up to each individual builder's interpretation. Have fun and see ya at the finish line!...?

2020 Cannonball Roster

bobthehobbyguy -Dom's Daytona Charger F&F6

LouO  -Billy Madison's 79 Trans Am

fivesuns -Dirty Mary Crazy Larry Dodge Charger

stitchdup. - Hooper's Trans Am

DPNM - Death Proof  Dodge Charger

MeatMan - Meeting Evil 72 GTO

larman - Dodge Charger Dukes of Hazzard

Jhedir6 - 67 Mustang Gone in 60 seconds

LL3 Model Worx - Daytona Spider Miami Vice

Oldmopars -Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. 379 Peterbilt

KWT -68 Charger Bullitt 

Misha - 51 Hudson The Irishman

Belugawrx- Shely Cobra Gumball Rally (1976)

Bespoke - 66 Thunderbird Thelma & Louise

disconovaman - 67 Camaro Better Off Dead

Fat Brian - Transformers Mustang Barracade

64SS350 - Bumblebee Camaro

Sam I Am Vanishing Point Challenger

It's time to update the roster...  here is the current line-up. I predict some really cool outcomes with these builds!

I'll keep including more to the roster as they post on the thread also.

Thanks... 

Edited by disconovaman
Additional texts

10 minutes ago, Belugawrx said:

Nice choice Anthony.

Thanks... It was down to that and the 57 chevy or 68 Chevelle both from "Catch me if you can" (1989).

The Camaro is so inspiring I just had to go with it. and it gets built near the end of the movie. It's a cool Camaro and I relate to it because growing up, my dad had a 67 Camaro (that he still owns!) My brother and I just restored it for him in 2017.

Resized_20170611_192510.jpg

I need a ruling from the rules committee before I announce my build. The exact movie car I want to build is based on a mid 2000s Saleen Mustang but there isn't a Saleen kit available for that generation of Mustang. Can I use the Revell GT500KR as a starting point and modify it be a bit more Saleen-like? Here are pictures of the kit and the a real Saleen.

20191219_190639.jpg.1fcd75800f4c839ae7c4a9bd8d22d89b.jpg20191219_190713.jpg.b7014c1b61975bceddec387d72a34993.jpg

1 minute ago, disconovaman said:

That will follow the rules... I'm certain you will make it look Awesome!

Thank you, I'll do my best. In that case I'll announce my build. I'm going to do the Decepticon Barricade from the first Transformers movie.

2005-z-movie-car-transformers-barricade-saleen-mustang.thumb.jpeg.21d7a8ca205f46e290e2577a7ea6b383.jpeg

I've had the decals made and have a partial kit to get started, I have to get another one because I cut this one up for last years Cannonball. 

20191219_201834.thumb.jpg.876e8b6b88e2ef81a181d508a9b31991.jpg

17 minutes ago, 64SS350 said:

Ok, I've been wanting to finish this anyway, and now since Fat Brian is doing the Deceptacon Mustang...I will try to finish the Bumblebee Camaro.

I will add pics of unfinished kit tommorow.

Screenshot_20191219-204235.png

I really like that car, it's on my build list too.

Why has no one chosen KITT... would clearly and cleanly WIN any cannonball run without question at ridiculous "super pursuit mode" speeds.... heck you could even nap the whole way!! Or post to modelcarsmag forum even!! And a whole host of other activities one could get into in a non driving situation during a 3k mile trip.

For a Win.... KITT. 

For style... I'll still take the Daytona.

16 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

Why has no one chosen KITT

There's so many good ones, it's hard to choose just one. This may be the year for Movie cars for me anyway...

I want to build the Knight Rider's KITT           

A-Team's van, The Ecto-1 from the new Ghostbusters movie and I'd like to build the BTTF DeLorean at some point too. When I think of Movie models I think of http://www.spencer1984.com/   I can say that he is the most dedicated modeler when it comes to film cars that I've ever seen. I'd like to build a few of my favorites this coming year.

Edited by disconovaman

25 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

KITT is a great idea, I'm also surprised no one has suggested the Vanishing Point Challenger. I would like to build a modern version with one of the new AMT kits.

Funny you should mention that. I was already planning a build that would update a classic Challenger with modern components.  I guess I will paint it white and join in with the Vanishing Point Challenger.  Good thing I  have a year to do it in.

51bLQMPkYpL.jpg

20191220_121248.jpg

1 hour ago, Sam I Am said:

Funny you should mention that. I was already planning a build that would update a classic Challenger with modern components.  I guess I will paint it white and join in with the Vanishing Point Challenger.  Good thing I  have a year to do it in.

51bLQMPkYpL.jpg

20191220_121248.jpg

If its anything like my Chrysler 300/ Dodge Daytona "hybrid" its gonna be a doozy... and a year is a good thing!

I have shelved mine for the time being... until I can decide how I want to proceed after running into a few major issues that have no obvious solution.

2 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

I guess I will paint it white and join in with the Vanishing Point Challenger.

Great choice Sam!

And IF I can build all the models I have planned to do in 2020 I will finish the Death Proof Challenger along with the Charger. The Challenger in DP was an homage to the Vanishing Point Challenger.As you can see, it's not too far from done.

dpchallgr.jpg

Edited by DPNM

3 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

51bLQMPkYpL.jpg

20191220_121248.jpg

That will be a cool build. I've already got two classic Challengers, an AMT and a Monogram, so I doubt I'd build another but the modern one still holds some interest for me. I've been intending to do all three modern muscle cars and just haven't yet.

On 12/19/2019 at 8:24 PM, Fat Brian said:

Thank you, I'll do my best. In that case I'll announce my build. I'm going to do the Decepticon Barricade from the first Transformers movie.

2005-z-movie-car-transformers-barricade-saleen-mustang.thumb.jpeg.21d7a8ca205f46e290e2577a7ea6b383.jpeg

I've had the decals made and have a partial kit to get started, I have to get another one because I cut this one up for last years Cannonball. 

Great choice Brian!!

On 12/18/2019 at 9:40 AM, LouO said:

Everyone has really great ideas and this should be a great year!

So just a tip...watch/pause your videos closely if you can. I discovered something interesting about Billy's car, it has what appear to be old school 5 spoke aluminum rims and larger tires in the rear. Whatever they are they certainly don't look like they're ready for an almost 3k journey. However, in homage of Billy the upgrades will be as close as possible. Another oddity is the silver/grey interior, which I just learned only came in the anniversary edition car.

madison 9987.png

On 12/18/2019 at 2:41 PM, Jordan White said:

According to someone on IMCDB who claims their dad owned the car, this is pretty much it. Also, apparently the stereo didn't work so they had a boombox in the back seat playing the music! I would think though the wheels and tires would be more playing to the idea that Billy still thinks that look is the "cool" thing.

On 12/18/2019 at 3:14 PM, disconovaman said:

I've been researching this myself and I read that story too...  I found the guy and emailed him already...waiting for a response. anyways, he claims the car was already black when they got it but in fact it is a 10th anniversary car...

as far as the boombox story goes wouldn't they dub music into the film rather than using actual audio from the scene? The engine seems pretty healthy, I hear a choppy cam in the scene so I would think that it would kill the sound of the radio? But I'm a skeptic sooo...

There is one true way of telling if that is a 10th anniversary car or not and unfortunately from the pic in the quote here or the other screenshot that was posted, they are not clear enough to see it. While I'm 100% sure if the 10th anniversary was the only one that was available with the platinum interior color but I do believe that is correct, one thing that was exclusive to the 10 anniversary interior was embroidered "thunder chickens" in the center of the rear seat and also in the door panels as found in AMT's/MPC's 1/16th scale 10th Anniversary edition kit and also the  recently reissued 1/16th scale 79 Firebird that is just as it seems that Billy Madison car is, a 10th anniversary car in Trans Am paint. 

On 12/16/2019 at 11:24 AM, disconovaman said:

The Rules:

1.       The build can be either a new or started kit up to 25% complete. A re-builder or parts box special is okay too. 1/24 or 1/25. If you absolutely must do a 1/20 model we’ll likely bend the rules as we have before, but that’s the limit.

Even though I do have plenty of ideas that will fit the scales and also can't even commit right now because I have to wait until some things outside of the model world calm down for me to even be able to attempt to concentrate on starting a new project, there are also a few projects once my life does get smoothed out enough to build again that would qualify for this build except for being 1/16th scale.  

On 12/19/2019 at 9:45 PM, LL3 Model Worx said:

Why has no one chosen KITT... would clearly and cleanly WIN any cannonball run without question at ridiculous "super pursuit mode" speeds.... heck you could even nap the whole way!! Or post to modelcarsmag forum even!! And a whole host of other activities one could get into in a non driving situation during a 3k mile trip.

For a Win.... KITT. 

For style... I'll still take the Daytona.

Don't tempt me, because I have a kit of KITT in Super Pursuit Mode! ? ?

1__07756.1392866505.jpg.8bf102566315a06226c558e85c313186.jpg

1 hour ago, highway said:

There is one true way of telling if that is a 10th anniversary car or not and unfortunately from the pic in the quote here or the other screenshot that was posted, they are not clear enough to see it. While I'm 100% sure if the 10th anniversary was the only one that was available with the platinum interior color but I do believe that is correct, one thing that was exclusive to the 10 anniversary interior was embroidered "thunder chickens" in the center of the rear seat and also in the door panels as found in AMT's/MPC's 1/16th scale 10th Anniversary edition kit and also the  recently reissued 1/16th scale 79 Firebird that is just as it seems that Billy Madison car is, a 10th anniversary car in Trans Am paint. 

Even though I do have plenty of ideas that will fit the scales and also can't even commit right now because I have to wait until some things outside of the model world calm down for me to even be able to attempt to concentrate on starting a new project, there are also a few projects once my life does get smoothed out enough to build again that would qualify for this build except for being 1/16th scale.  

Don't tempt me, because I have a kit of KITT in Super Pursuit Mode! ? ?

1__07756.1392866505.jpg.8bf102566315a06226c558e85c313186.jpg

OMG do it!!! Please do it!

Skip straight into it....Double dog dare you!!

On 12/16/2019 at 11:24 AM, disconovaman said:

The Rules:

The 2020 CBR theme is Movie, TV, and Film cars. Your build must be any vehicle (correct make and model) that have appeared on film.

-          Build time begins on January 1st, 2020, local time and ends at 11:59PM on December 1st, 2020, local time. That’s 11 months’ folks.

-          After the finish, we will create a poll and we’ll have the “race”, a public vote.

-         Special Thanks to Jantrix for the rules and the creative inspiration! 

...(..cough)...

...what time on January 1st, 2020... the very beginning 0 zero....?

and by local,..you mean Aus time or eastern standard, or...Pacific,... lol

Looking forward to the start..NO CUSTOMIZATION (for me)...this time!

Can't wait to see what starts posting up in the entrance posts!!!

CHEERS to all Screenballers ?2020?

Edited by Belugawrx

1 hour ago, Belugawrx said:

...what time on January 1st, 2020... the very beginning 0 zero....?

and by local,..you mean Aus time or eastern standard, or...Pacific,... lol

Local time means your time. Whatever time midnight is where you're building your model. No customization for you eh, so you're joining the unwashed?