Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 Cannonball Run Build Thread!

disconovaman

8 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

OMG do it!!! Please do it!

Skip straight into it....Double dog dare you!!

Even though as I had said elsewhere in that previous comment life outside of the model world right now has me to where I can't really commit right now because between personal issues and two failed surgeries on a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder that has made even building a model difficult at times, I have to wait to make sure the personal issues are going to straighten out before jumping in the ring. Of course though, putting KITT in Super Pursuit Mode and waiting for you to finally make it in that slow Corvette made to look like a Ferrari might be just what I need, assuming Ferrari doesn't make you blow it up for being a fake first! ???

56 minutes ago, highway said:

Even though as I had said elsewhere in that previous comment life outside of the model world right now has me to where I can't really commit right now because between personal issues and two failed surgeries on a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder that has made even building a model difficult at times, I have to wait to make sure the personal issues are going to straighten out before jumping in the ring. Of course though, putting KITT in Super Pursuit Mode and waiting for you to finally make it in that slow Corvette made to look like a Ferrari might be just what I need, assuming Ferrari doesn't make you blow it up for being a fake first! ???

Ouch!! Sorry about the bum shoulder situation... that really sucks!

And as far as my kit car vs the actual KITT even outside of SPM....even the real Daytona is still very slow by comparison...

However, my cannonball iteration is gonna be packing something "Xtra"... so that it would still be somewhat competitive against any "normal" vehicle in such a race... no stinger missiles this time out!

Hope you get the shoulder worked out and can get back to building COMFORTABLY!

Edited by LL3 Model Worx

What do you think, was Billy's car an Anniversary car - or maybe just had an Anniversary car interior in it?
1502192144_madison767.png.ca9b629a18cef86e3fb263752b4d624a.png
Either way,  because of this year's theme I'm imagining acquiring the set car, so I think I'll keep the grey/silver interior and the fuzzy dice. LOL 

Hi all, I've been lurking here for a couple of days trying to figure out what I'd like to join with, and just realized I was overthinking it.  I'll be building the first car on Anthony's poster that I don't have in my collection yet, the Hot Rods to Hell Corvette.

PicsArt_12-09-12_25_43.thumb.png.3b4c4c7211894a08b5b5982dea3116d5.jpg.a5199e715b0efef974aee7102291c359.jpg

I have (most of) a gluebomb Revell kit I found on eBay before the recent reissue, and somewhere around here  I have the Car Kulture Deluxe magazine with it as the cover article car.

ckdiss16-06.jpg.68086b075e68b6219e212f3323cca376.jpg

11 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

Ouch!! Sorry about the bum shoulder situation... that really sucks!

And as far as my kit car vs the actual KITT even outside of SPM....even the real Daytona is still very slow by comparison...

However, my cannonball iteration is gonna be packing something "Xtra"... so that it would still be somewhat competitive against any "normal" vehicle in such a race... no stinger missiles this time out!

Hope you get the shoulder worked out and can get back to building COMFORTABLY!

Thanks, I've been dealing with the shoulder for almost three years now since I first tore it pulling a fifth wheel release at my former profession as a truck driver, something I had done for 18 years of my life. I've been dealing with it in its current situation of nearly no mobility in it since the last surgery in October 2018 and it has a small tear yet again and the doctor said anymore surgeries will be pointless because it will just keep getting worse instead of better so I'm just learning to adjust with it. 

Anyway, back to the brighter side of things, even with your iteration packing something "xtra", I could always also bring this old Cannonball project back from the dead just to mess with you! ? 

HPIM4781.thumb.JPG.e9179207d7f910c98cd7e92f9fe811bb.JPG

Even though it doesn't qualify for this years rules in any way, I'm sure with a V12 twin turbo that is going under its hood it could keep up with that Ferrari wannabe and along with another custom rig I have in progress with a V16 twin turbo in it, they would make a large rolling roadblock for you! ? I could even put the original livestock trailer I was going to have on this truck back on it and fill it full of cows!? Or if that wannabe Ferrari just isn't fast enough or in KITT's way because he gets a late start, just push you out of the way so watch for this bumper in your rear view mirror! ??

HPIM3011.jpg.1e50db041f34b2c47c3c315a57d2fa2c.jpg

I think we have a diverse field myself. I thought there might be more of a certain make, model, and year of car. (All Terrific choices and great movies) seems to be nice selections, none the less. 

At this point there are two Camaros, two Trans-Ams, One G body Pontiac, One Hudson, Six Mopar's, A Thunderbird, (my personal favorite) A few Mustangs and just to mix it up a bit... A 379 Peterbilt, A Shelby Cobra, and A Ferrari Spider. 

And I may be wrong, but the Daytona Spider is one of few movie cars (if not the only) to be kitted exactly how it was in the TV series... The car in the TV Show "Miami Vice" was in fact a "kit" car (Corvette Chassis with replica Spider body) and Chevy Small block like the model kit. Either way I'm excited to see what goes on with it here... 

We're gearing up and it won't be long now...

2020 Cannonball Roster

bobthehobbyguy -Dom's Daytona Charger F&F6

LouO  -Billy Madison's 79 Trans Am

fivesuns -Dirty Mary Crazy Larry Dodge Charger

stitchdup. - Hooper's Trans Am

DPNM - Death Proof  Dodge Charger

MeatMan - Meeting Evil 72 GTO

larman - Dodge Charger Dukes of Hazzard

Jhedir6 - 67 Mustang Gone in 60 seconds

LL3 Model Worx - Daytona Spider Miami Vice

Oldmopars -Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. 379 Peterbilt

KWT -68 Charger Bullitt 

Misha - 51 Hudson The Irishman

Belugawrx- Shelby Cobra Gumball Rally (1976)

Bespoke - 66 Thunderbird Thelma & Louise

disconovaman - 67 Camaro Better Off Dead

Fat Vanishinglyransformers Mustang Barracade

64SS350 - Bumblebee Camaro

Sam I Am Vanishing Point Challenger

spencer1984 - Hot Rods To Hell 58 Corvette

streetmachine11 - Cherry2000 Mustang

Pat Minarick - Dodge Monaco Hunter

Here is the updated Roster, I'll keep adding to it as the list grows.

Edited by disconovaman
Additional texts

4 hours ago, disconovaman said:

And I may be wrong, but the Daytona Spider is one of few movie cars (if not the only) to be kitted exactly how it was in the TV series... The car in the TV Show "Miami Vice" was in fact a "kit" car (Corvette Chassis with replica Spider body) and Chevy Small block like the model kit. Either way I'm excited to see what goes on with it here... 

We're gearing up and it won't be long now...

I know what you mean by it being kitted as "kitted"...with the SBC and what not...

But there are certainly some inaccuracies to the film car from the kit. 

The door locks are on the outside of the door on the kit and they aren't on the real car. 

The seats in the kit depict the real ferrari seats and on the real car they are stock C3 vette seats... the head rests are the real problem.

The headlights on the kit are pop ups like the real Ferrari but the TV car had a clear lexan cover over the inset headlight buckets.

And the steering wheel in the kit is like the real Ferrari, and the TV car appears to have an aftermarket of some sort like a grant or momo... or something.

But, minor problems in the grand scheme, and I'm gonna fix what I can.

I'm really excited for this.

My father actually painted a few of these for the show. They were just fiberglass bodys when he got them and he didn't know what they were for until after the fact.

So really this is a very special build for me.

3 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

But, minor problems in the grand scheme, and I'm gonna fix what I can.

I'm really excited for this.

I could see why you would want to fix those minor problems. I personally like the kit and when Ollie's had them, I got a bunch.

I've always wanted to own a real screen used movie car... Nothing too recognizable, one of these would be ideal...

I guy in my town owns one of the Thunderbirds from Thema & Louise... I've seen it in his garage. 

Edited by disconovaman

4 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I could see why you would want to fix those minor problems. I personally like the kit and when Ollie's had them, I got a bunch.

I've always wanted to own a real screen used movie car... Nothing too recognizable, one of these would be ideal...

I guy in my town owns one of the Thunderbirds from Thema & Louise... I've seen it in his garage. 

Yea I'm using the older monogram kit for this build.

I'm also doing a bit of kitbashing to both fix issues and "upgrade" the car for the "

But it should remain nearly identical to what we see on TV.

I've always wanted the Barris Batmobile...tbh. I would daily drive that thing... to and fro work. Just far too cool... heck I'd even take the futura.

And that's awsome about the T-bird! Always cool to see stuff like that.

There's a guy around here who has a back to the future Delorean. I bet that thing gives him fits!

There's also an exact replica of the two lane blacktop 55 around here also.

20 hours ago, spencer1984 said:

Hi all, I've been lurking here for a couple of days trying to figure out what I'd like to join with, and just realized I was overthinking it.  I'll be building the first car on Anthony's poster that I don't have in my collection yet, the Hot Rods to Hell Corvette.

Outstanding! I'm real glad to see you join Bill. For those that don't know, Bill is THE GUY for model TV/Movie cars. His Batmobile collection is quite epic. Back before this forum, he did a pretty successful series of TV/Movie car build offs on the SA forums, and it was those CBP's that helped give me the idea for the Cannonball CBP. 

4 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Bill is THE GUY for model TV/Movie cars.

I've been a fan for over 10 years myself! I'm excited... it will be nice to see the build updates on the Vette... And all the builds are gonna be great to watch come together... Merry Christmas to everyone. 

On 12/19/2019 at 8:24 PM, Fat Brian said:

Thank you, I'll do my best. In that case I'll announce my build. I'm going to do the Decepticon Barricade from the first Transformers movie.

2005-z-movie-car-transformers-barricade-saleen-mustang.thumb.jpeg.21d7a8ca205f46e290e2577a7ea6b383.jpeg

I've had the decals made and have a partial kit to get started, I have to get another one because I cut this one up for last years Cannonball. 

20191219_201834.thumb.jpg.876e8b6b88e2ef81a181d508a9b31991.jpg

A really close match on your wheels Brian.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aoshima-1-24-Rim-Tire-Set-82-AVS-Model-F7-20-05516/223139884953?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

So after a conversation about the CBR with my son (who is a stickler for movie accuracy); I decided to change the build style of my Billy Madison 79 Trans Am and instead of upgrading things (eng/trans/wheels/etc...), I've decided to focus on replicating the original movie car. Now that's not to say Billy didn't think his TA had some "cool" mods...LOL !

On 12/24/2019 at 11:19 PM, streetmachine11 said:

the 65 mustang from cherry 2000

I've seen a couple of these built but never in pre- "Zone 7" damage like in the photo above.

I had the hots for Melanie (aka "E") after seeing this movie... ?Lol

I just learned that the Cherry 2000 actress passed away quietly last year... RIP Pamela Gidley... no cause of death either... Nevertheless 52 is too young to go...??

latest?cb=20180412185318
A while ago I bought a Viper and I really didn't know what to do with it until now. So count me in with the Viper from the 90s series with the same name....
(I will put up pictures of kit as soon as i find my camera......SIGH!)

Edited by Cpt Tuttle

1 hour ago, Cpt Tuttle said:

Viper from the 90s series with the same name.

Wow! This is Great! I just checked out the website for the company that built these cars in the 90's (8 in total) for the TV series. Unique Movie Cars Las Vegas. They've been in business for decades and have built lots of well known TV Stars including The A-Team Van,  KITT from Knight Rider, and the Coyote from Hard Castle And McCormick. They even built the Dog Van for Dumb and Dumber... 

11 hours ago, Cpt Tuttle said:

A while ago I bought a Viper and I really didn't know what to do with it until now. So count me in with the Viper from the 90s series with the same name....
(I will put up pictures of kit as soon as i find my camera......SIGH!)

Oooooooo!  ?

Totally forgot about that series. Sweet!