Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 Cannonball Run Build Thread!

disconovaman

Thanks  Bruce, I’ll be following your Cobra build of CSX3243 being a big Shelby fan. Spent the holidays recuperating from surgery by watching the movie and the Shelby American documentary which I found more entertaining. Plus barrelled thru a couple of new Cobra and Ford GT books.
See you on the starting grid in December of 2020! Cheers M

2 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

What do you say?

I say... Mirrors? Who needs mirrors? lol ?  if it has a rear view camera, that would serve as a mirror? On the other hand, judging by most the entries, I don't think anyone else will mind if it is slightly off the ”As Screen used” version...

Back when we discussed the theme, someone thought the "Twist" rule should be added to give the movie car more flavor... and to add performance to help win an actual CBR. (I loved the idea). The cool thing about the rule is it's entirely optional and your choice to use it or not... Following that description , I'd say it's up to your discretion.

14 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

I say... Mirrors? Who needs mirrors? lol ? [...]  

That line was in the Gumball Rally, the first of the cross country race theme,  and the inspiration for the Burt Reynolds movies.

Now I need to see if my current project qualifies for this topic....... ?

*edit*  How cool is this,  watched The Thomas Crown Affair just to see what the fuss was about for this car.  Though it won't have the same wheels, does this qualify?

Thomas Crown Ferrari a_Fotor.jpg

Thomas Crown Ferrari b_Fotor.jpg

Edited by 89AKurt

8 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Upon further inspection, the custon wheels found in the Monte Carlo kit aren't as close a match as I originally thought. I do believe the Borrani wheels are aluminum though, right? ?

Screenshot_20200106-170029~2.png

Thanks for confirming what I suspected.   Yes, the real Borrani wire rims are aluminum, kit is chrome.

9 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

Wow Scott, that is looking great so far

2020Cannonball.jpg.c72ded68e67f0e0df412825bfc1532f8.jpg

Sorry about the HUGE pic..still getting used to the new chrome book/laptop

Getting started on the Shelby Cobra CSX 3243..thinned the windshield frame, sanded off the scoop flange and body mold lines.

I'm going to cut open the doors, side gills, and trunk, as well as cut in the square hood scoops as seen on the movie car (yellow tape)

Here we go !!

Cool! I admire your bravery to chop up such a pretty body ?

All the builds are looking great so far! I love watching the Cannonball run builds.

I wish I had the right kits to participate. I was thinking Thomas Crown Affair, but when I dug out the mustang I found out it wasn't the right year. I began to look for a 1970 Satellite/Roadrunner for a Daylights end style build and people want a fortune for them! This is another one I'll just watch from the sidelines.

Edited by 1/24DragAndStreetCars

8 hours ago, 1/24DragAndStreetCars said:

All the builds are looking great so far! I love watching the Cannonball run builds.

I wish I had the right kits to participate. I was thinking Thomas Crown Affair, but when I dug out the mustang I found out it wasn't the right year. I began to look for a 1970 Satellite/Roadrunner for a Daylights end style build and people want a fortune for them! This is another one I'll just watch from the sidelines.

Look at the kits you do have, then go to IMCDB.com and see what movies they were used in and pick one from the list. You will have something. 

2 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Look at the kits you do have, then go to IMCDB.com and see what movies they were used in and pick one from the list. You will have something. 

1 hour ago, Jantrix said:

I was going to suggest the same thing.

That IS what I did. ?

Well the TV truck has this huge Bull Bar/Animal Guard on the front of it. In the opening scene where the truck first shows up in the show, it materializes out of a cloud of smoke and smashes through the Agents of Shield vehicles. Trucks go flying and then it stops and Sarge jumps out. He then goes and kills on of the Agents to free his cohort Snowflake. So, this huge Bull bar is very much a part of what made this truck so ominous and villainous.  It had to be scratch built, as the one on the TV truck is huge and custom built for the TV truck. This took most of the day to make. It is attached like the TV truck in that is tilts with the hood. 

I also finished the interior the other day. The added handle on the passenger side in the Cloaking Handle, this was also part of what made this truck special. 

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

5 hours ago, Rodent said:

one gets destroyed in the first few minutes of its movie.

? Is it the Monte Carlo from F&F Toyko Drift? Lol... I like guessing but I'm stumped on the hero car and second-banana cars... too many choices... 

I had a tough time deciding which one I wanted to build myself... I even had the idea to build the yellow Chevelle from King Of The Road starring a young Brad Pitt, one of his first roles. Also from the same HBO film, the black 57 Chevy Gasser... both are cool and would leave some folks guessing.?

I would like to jump in and biuld the square body chevy from what appear to be two different movies, terminator and nightmare. 

The truck in Terminator. 

E52838C7-A5BC-456C-AB6A-ABD6E907B128.png.089e3466013ac4668a53d107f3dd949b.png54658A99-5CEE-40F1-9AAA-875A17493BF9.png.6543b92b7dd4fbf67c0bc605084a2b2f.png1D0433F0-7FF0-41B6-888F-E6CFD9FF300F.jpeg.1df57c108c1e7bde632db808794a5dfb.jpeg

the truck in nightmare.

8D90B797-D48C-4A2B-AE45-9D0C3AE78592.png.1bc033a042a75b38f71a35def37a0eec.png203C31C0-42A3-4132-A70B-F7C4C4E6349E.png.94e24ecd09d1777548e968f88fed00e6.png3A0C3CE9-A970-418F-B51E-05657C88143D.png.915014e1fba7d11450c5201b05dbf0ff.png

I know now there are some differences between the two truck but I am unable to decided what way I want to do it right now. I will be using the useable parts from 3 different somewhat started, old biuld revell gmc plow truckand other random parts that I have (if that’s ok) 

59477F3D-F5E0-47B3-A6BD-0D51A929B682.thumb.jpeg.6f0a2a202c76b57e16ffc44fc93910b3.jpegD04CB3D0-7E25-44B5-9929-2E33FAF2A03C.thumb.jpeg.8aaccc52dd2f8899004ec35d263e6900.jpeg

ps: dose anyone know if the truck is a long box or a short box? I can’t tell form the picture I can find. 

1 hour ago, 426 pack said:

differences between the two

Great selection... I believe these two are the same truck... With different details grill, lightbar etc...and it is a long bed but that's an easy fix,

Just cut the front off one bed and glue it to the front of another, body work is fairly easy on this body style. 

3 hours ago, disconovaman said:

? Is it the Monte Carlo from F&F Toyko Drift? Lol... I like guessing but I'm stumped on the hero car and second-banana cars... too many choices... 

I had a tough time deciding which one I wanted to build myself... I even had the idea to build the yellow Chevelle from King Of The Road starring a young Brad Pitt, one of his first roles. Also from the same HBO film, the black 57 Chevy Gasser... both are cool and would leave some folks guessing.?

Nope. The car that gets destroyed is from a 1963 release. Ordered a kit to build the hero car, bought a kit to do one of the second banana cars from the 80s. Not sure what I am doing yet. Thought about being obscure and  doing the  Abigail Folger Firebird from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,  but thought it would be really too obscure. Real pic from the real murder scene. Jay Sebring's 911 in the background 

cielo32_zps0accb1531434543217.jpg

I think I'll be joining with Patrick Swayze's '65 Riviera from "Road House."

0_1356-vi.jpg

3_886-vi.jpg

5_183-vi.jpg

6_1141-vi.jpg

Only it won't be running a "4BRL."

i075361-vi.jpg

I think instead it'll carry this nasty LS I've had clunking around for a while.

LS_Pieces-vi.jpg

Riviera_StartingPic-vi.jpg

I've got to hand it to Round 2, they've really cleaned up these old kits. Parting lines are minimal and fit is very good. So after an evening of clean up, I started dry fitting. It all fit so well I just kept going until all the major parts were in place. Of course, the devil is in the details though, right?

Mockup1-vi.jpg