Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 Cannonball Run Build Thread!

disconovaman

The Riv interior is mostly done. The movie clearly shows a filthy dusty interior, so I grunged it up with pastels. Printing wood paneling on white decal paper is troublesome as the printing always chips at the edges. The way to go is decal printed on clear over a painted light surface. Clear epoxy was added to the gauge faces

InteriorDone2.jpg

InteriorDone1.jpg

1 hour ago, Lunajammer said:

The Riv interior is mostly done. The movie clearly shows a filthy dusty interior, so I grunged it up with pastels. Printing wood paneling on white decal paper is troublesome as the printing always chips at the edges. The way to go is decal printed on clear over a painted light surface. Clear epoxy was added to the gauge faces

Nice job on the dusty interior!

I’d like to invite Wayne, Garth and the mirthmobile to the party. Not sure what I’m going to do with the drive chain just yet, I thought about a 928 since it’s basically the same car, but they all seem to be curbside. Well other than the Revell, but the engine in it is crummy. 

1B817F2D-725F-4FE1-A14D-68498E2DF7E1.jpeg

14BF04B7-42A9-4E9B-8666-60D75E4F4A52.jpeg

Edited by FredRPG

8 hours ago, FredRPG said:

I’d like to invite Wayne, Garth and the mirthmobile to the party. Not sure what I’m going to do with the drive chain just yet, I thought about a 928 since it’s basically the same car, but they all seem to be curbside. Well other than the Revell, but the engine in it is crummy. 

For engine swaps there are a few popular options, a 2JZ from the AMT Supra fits and is a popular swap in just about anything with the length to fit it. Then you've got the LS, someone had a Revell Camaro up for trade recently that would have the perfect version for this car. They might still have it. You can use the Coyote engine from a Revell 2014 Mustang or the Hemi from a Revell Challenger. 

By the way, if anyone knows where to find a set of those stock hub caps I'd love to have them.

7 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

For engine swaps there are a few popular options, a 2JZ from the AMT Supra fits and is a popular swap in just about anything with the length to fit it.

I have done this very conversion for the Sleeper Cannonball, using that engine in the AMT Pacer wagon. The problem with the AMT 2JZ is that the turbos are plumbed backwards. Replumbing is necesary. The Pacer is 3000 lbs dripping wet. So any small block will do nicely I think. The 302 Ford from the Revell '32's would look slick and fit nicely, I think. Also the 318/340 from the AMT Duster. 

53 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

I have done this very conversion for the Sleeper Cannonball, using that engine in the AMT Pacer wagon. The problem with the AMT 2JZ is that the turbos are plumbed backwards. Replumbing is necesary. The Pacer is 3000 lbs dripping wet. So any small block will do nicely I think. The 302 Ford from the Revell '32's would look slick and fit nicely, I think. Also the 318/340 from the AMT Duster. 

I remember your Pacer, that is a very cool build.

Some great progress, guys - the Ferrari and Riviera are looking fantastic!

On 2/10/2020 at 6:53 PM, Lunajammer said:

The Road House Riv has paint. I'd like to see a tick more brown but despite the lighting here, this Rustoleum color is pretty close. I added the dent in the front fender

What color did you use? That looks pretty darn close from here!

On 2/10/2020 at 6:58 PM, Lunajammer said:

Printing wood paneling on white decal paper is troublesome as the printing always chips at the edges. The way to go is decal printed on clear over a painted light surface.

Given what the 1:1 Riviera interiors look like as the wood de-laminates over the years, the chipped white edges are probably the most accurate way to go here.

16 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

By the way, if anyone knows where to find a set of those stock hub caps I'd love to have them.

mirthmobile-1.jpg.234c5bfb9fa1e7edc9d2e433d497a862.jpg

The closest I found was the one lone hubcap in the Hogan's Heroes Jeep, I think left over from its time as a courtesy car. It's not 100% accurate, but with a decal added to make the vent holes it was close enough for me.

hrth-corvette-12.jpg.7346866010cc6faacff5d9bd4116b1d0.jpg

On my own build, I finally got the interior stripped and repainted. Most of what you see here is Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black, with Molotow for the chrome bits and Tamiya Flat Aluminum for the door inserts. The gauge decals were destroyed when I stripped off the old paint, so I made new ones based on a spare set I had from the Revell '59 Corvette kit. Still a few more details to paint but it's getting closer!

Edited by spencer1984

7 hours ago, spencer1984 said:

The closest I found was the one lone hubcap in the Hogan's Heroes Jeep, I think left over from its time as a courtesy car. It's not 100% accurate, but with a decal added to make the vent holes it was close enough for me.

Ok, I want to build a replica of my dad's tan on tan 77 Pacer and it had those hub caps.

On 2/12/2020 at 8:04 PM, spencer1984 said:

What color did you use? That looks pretty darn close from here!

Given what the 1:1 Riviera interiors look like as the wood de-laminates over the years, the chipped white edges are probably the most accurate way to go here.

I hear ya on the delaminating wood finish. In this case the chipping doesn't bother me much.

This is the paint I used. Slow to dry, but in a can, this was the closest I could find. The movie was on AMC recently and the spray can color looks more accurate than the screenshots imply.

331200_CMYK.jpg

Edited by Lunajammer

On 2/11/2020 at 8:50 PM, FredRPG said:

Was wondering if someone was going to do this one !??

7 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

This is the paint I used. Slow to dry, but in a can, this was the closest I could find. The movie was on A&E recently and the spray can color looks more accurate than the screenshots imply.

Thanks, I'll have to look for that one. I kept running into Rustoleum cans being good for only one or two models before the nozzles fail, so I had pretty much stopped looking at their colors. But I've never tried the ones with this style nozzle, it might be an improvement from the last ones I used. Even if the fail rate holds, it'll be worth it to get this color.

4 hours ago, gasser59 said:

Two Lane Blacktop

I was thinking about you when I dug this out on Tuesday. It started as a Revell ragtop, I harvested a Black widow Post top for the first ever Revell 55 Chevy 2 door sedan (at least that I know of lol). It wouldn't take much to turn it into a JT Special... Tilt front and radius the wheelwells, I've got a Gasser build in mind myself...

Screenshot_20200214-215533~2.png

42 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

I was thinking about you when I dug this out on Tuesday. It started as a Revell ragtop, I harvested a Black widow Post top for the first ever Revell 55 Chevy 2 door sedan (at least that I know of lol). It wouldn't take much to turn it into a JT Special... Tilt front and radius the wheelwells, I've got a Gasser build in mind myself...

Screenshot_20200214-215533~2.png

Hey Anthony, that looks really good. What are your plans for this as a gasser?

There was a drag racer back in the early sixties named Don Roberts and he raced a two-tone green 55 Chevy post... Nothing special about it other than it had a stout, over the counter 409 race engine in it... It looked pretty stock other than a homemade hood scoop. 

As the story goes, Don had a feller named Jim Smith install a straight axel for him and while testing the car on the street, he wrecked it. According to history the car was totaled and it was stripped shortly afterwards and the remains were buried in Don's backyard in 1965... 

I'm building this car as if it hadn't been wrecked that fateful day... In 2018 the car was partially dug up but there wasn't much left of it.

It's a great story, I just wish it had a better ending. Here is a photo of the car before it was destroyed...

Screenshot_20200131-094849~2.png