Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 Cannonball Run Build Thread!

disconovaman

You guys are having too much fun and I want in on it. I've been wanting to build the Two Lane Blacktop primered '55 Chevy with the flip front end for some time so this is the spark I need. I think i have a sedan donor at home and will look tonight and post my results. If not, I'll get one soon. I'm in!!

2020 Cannonball Roster

1. bobthehobbyguy -Dom's Daytona Charger F&F6

2. LouO  -Billy Madison's 79 Trans Am

3. fivesuns -Dirty Mary Crazy Larry Dodge Charger

4. stitchdup. - Hooper's Trans Am

5. DPNM - Death Proof  Dodge Charger

6. MeatMan - Meeting Evil 72 GTO

7. larman - Dodge Charger Dukes of Hazzard

8. Jhedir6 - 67 Mustang Gone in 60 seconds

9. LL3 Model Worx - Daytona Spider Miami Vice

10. Oldmopars -Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. 379 Peterbilt

11. KWT -68 Charger Bullitt 

12. Misha - 51 Hudson The Irishman

13.  Belugawrx- Shelby Cobra Gumball Rally (1976)

14. Bespoke - 66 Thunderbird Thelma & Louise

15. disconovaman - 67 Camaro Better Off Dead

16. Fat Brian- Transformers Mustang Barricade

17. 64SS350 - Bumblebee Camaro

18. Sam I Am Vanishing Point Challenger

19. spencer1984 - Hot Rods To Hell 58 Corvette

20. streetmachine11 - Cherry2000 Mustang

21. Pat Minarick - Up In Smoke VW convertible

22. Cpt Tuttle - Defender Viper

23. Pete75 - Lotus Esprit S1 The Spy Who Loved Me

24. Grid_88 - Starsky & Hutch Ford Torino

25. 89AKurt -  The Thomas Crown Affair 68 Ferrari

26. 426 pack - Terminator/Nightmare Chevy Pickup 

27. Lunajammer - Road House Buick Riviera

28. Rodent-  57 Fairlane 500  It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World

29. 1/24DragAndStreetCars- Porsche 911 GT2  Love The Beast

30. marv13 - Fast And Furious Dodge Charger

31. da_ashman - Banes Tumbler  The Dark Knight Rises

32. gasser59 - Two Lane Blacktop 55 Chevy

33. avidinha-    Mystery Men Cadillac

It's time to update the Roster Guys.  I'm seeing some good looking progress here... We're Rollin here?

Edited by disconovaman
Additional texts

More progress on the Hot Rods to Hell body: the front end is now clipped, and the rear wheel openings have been radiused.

hrth-corvette-10.jpg.d072f33ddfa844b554faa6a46a3c301b.jpg

hrth-corvette-11.jpg.7f11ffa430e7b5b7710434d11357ef72.jpg

Unfortunately, the latter caused two problems: first, the inner fenders weren't designed for bigger openings, and the edges of them are now visible - I'm going to have to cut them off and make bigger fender liners. Second, all of my tires are either the right style but wrong size, or right size but too new. Looks like I'm going to have to get creative here...

Hey Gang, just reporting my progress for the month of January, or rather the lack thereof.

I'm working on another build so this is pushed aside on the bench but I did try to put a build plan together.

What I found is what some already know, and that this kit has some shortcomings.

I plan to open the trunk but found that it has bosses for aligning the chassis, except the chassis doesn't line up with the bosses.

Also the interior tub has alignment bosses as well, but those are accurate. I'll have to add some styrene blocks to keep it in position and cut out those bosses.

As for the chassis, I'm considering fabricating one but that's not my forte. I may try to cobble one together using parts from other kits, or just modify this one.

I'll entertain any suggestions, thanks

I hope to at least get some work done during February.

GTO Chassis Misalignment 3.jpg

GTO Chassis Misalignment 4.jpg

GTO Chassis Misalignment.jpg

16 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Hey Gang, just reporting my progress for the month of January, or rather the lack thereof.

I'm working on another build so this is pushed aside on the bench but I did try to put a build plan together.

What I found is what some already know, and that this kit has some shortcomings.

I plan to open the trunk but found that it has bosses for aligning the chassis, except the chassis doesn't line up with the bosses.

Also the interior tub has alignment bosses as well, but those are accurate. I'll have to add some styrene blocks to keep it in position and cut out those bosses.

As for the chassis, I'm considering fabricating one but that's not my forte. I may try to cobble one together using parts from other kits, or just modify this one.

Have you considered using the frame and suspension from the Revell 68 Chevelle? Both  being GM "A bodies" it might be a good starting point.

Edited by LouO

4 hours ago, LouO said:

Have you considered using the frame and suspension from the Revell 68 Chevelle? Both  being GM "A bodies" it might be a good starting point.

Thanks Lou, that definitely would be a great starting point, especially since I'm not using big tires. The only problem is I wouldn't have the heart to part that kit out because my late brother owned a 1:1 the same color as the kit on the box.

I think I'll try fabricating one. It should make for some interesting posts.

3 hours ago, MeatMan said:

I wouldn't have the heart to part that kit out

Slot Car leftovers... But I'd say if you can, fix the problems with the box chassis and move forward... This way you don't get "buried" with it... I'd hit the Bay and see if any are available ?

13 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Slot Car leftovers... But I'd say if you can, fix the problems with the box chassis and move forward... This way you don't get "buried" with it... I'd hit the Bay and see if any are available ?

I wondered why there were so many chassis parts for sale on ebay! Slot car leftovers, wow!

I have been going a little crazy on my build of Sarge's truck. I have a few pictures and I was able to find a video from the show with the truck in it. However I am finding that there are at least 2 trucks used. I know this is not that odd for Hollywood, but it is driving me nuts as the trucks are different. You would not notice it until you try to replicate it in scale. The trailer on the driver side is different depending on the scene. I mean WAY different. Depending on the scene the truck has different wheels on the back of the tractor. One scene it is spokes, the next it is Budds. 

Is anyone else fighting Hollywood's multiple vehicle issue? It seems the Close-up vehicle is always different from the "Stunt" vehicle. 

Oh, well. I press on. 

Here is more progress on the trailer part of the build. I have had to do a lot of work making scratch parts for the sides of this thing. It is getting there. 

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

I am closing in on the finish line with this build. I still have to put a second coat of paint on the trailer, find some kind of grill for the round vents on the side, fix a few minor issues on the cab and then weather it all. But I am seeing the end in sight. 

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

2 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

I am closing in on the finish line with this build. I still have to put a second coat of paint on the trailer, find some kind of grill for the round vents on the side, fix a few minor issues on the cab and then weather it all. But I am seeing the end in sight. 

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

That thing is menacing. 

On 1/31/2020 at 7:36 PM, MeatMan said:

I would use the chassis from the AMT 69 Cutlass, that's my plan for this kit. You should be able to pick one up for cheap since it's been in near constant production for a while now.

2 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

I am closing in on the finish line with this build.

Wow! to pull such an incredible build in what little time you built it in is outstanding! It's proof that modeling at high speed can pay off... I preform best with pressure and a peering timeframe... I'd have to say you do too?

Edited by disconovaman

19 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Is anyone else fighting Hollywood's multiple vehicle issue? It seems the Close-up vehicle is always different from the "Stunt" vehicle.

Nice work, Sarge's truck is looking great!

Not only the warring details between stunt vehicles, but the fact that usually none of them match the vehicle's description. I usually just try for something that "seems right."

On 1/29/2020 at 6:18 PM, disconovaman said:

2020 Cannonball Roster

[...]

25. 89AKurt -  The Thomas Crown Affair 68 Ferrari

[...]

It's time to update the Roster Guys.  I'm seeing some good looking progress here... We're Rollin here?

Got the engine bay done last night.   Stripped chrome from the bumpers, spinners, and mirror, will send out so expecting a pause.

IMG_1490_Fotor.jpg

On 2/2/2020 at 6:10 PM, Oldmopars said:

Oh, well. I press on. 

Yup... 

Of the 4 Daytona's used on screen, not a single one is the same... and finding photos always reveals contradictions and changes that were made after filming...

So, like Bill said, I just go for the most accurate I can.

On 2/3/2020 at 9:21 AM, disconovaman said:

Wow! to pull such an incredible build in what little time you built it in is outstanding! It's proof that modeling at high speed can pay off... I preform best with pressure and a peering timeframe... I'd have to say you do too?

I would say less high speed, and more long hours packed into single days. I will sit and work for 4-6 hours at a time. You can get a lot done when you are not interrupted all the time. Working in short bursts is tough.

Great work everyone. I have been fine tuning my Challenger build while my mind has been elsewhere.  My middle son got married last Saturday and the months leading up to it just kept getting crazier.  I should say the last year has been crazy. My oldest was married in September.  That's two in five months...

Hopefully I can get back to the bench soon. 

I got a little bit done on Tony P's Cadillac. I took a yellow sharpie to some of the chrome to make it look gold. I also used a blue sharpie in the headlight bucket to simulate the HID headlights, and an orange sharpie for the turn signals.

jY5hT2S.jpg

I used a molotow chrome pen on the rear axle, driveshaft and engine bay brace.

rEOnpzm.jpg

More next time.

On 2/5/2020 at 6:49 PM, Oldmopars said:

I would say less high speed, and more long hours packed into single days. I will sit and work for 4-6 hours at a time. You can get a lot done when you are not interrupted all the time. Working in short bursts is tough.

Short bursts (absurdly short lately)... story of my life.

On 2/3/2020 at 10:19 PM, christian-w said:

The 275 is so cool with all the details in the trunk and interior. My favorit item: the tiny model kit on the floor :)

I've been making boxes of the model I build, since I print license plates, manuals, etc.  The other project, The Green Barge will have one.

Really close!  I need to wait for the bumpers to return from chrome plating, so won't see updates for awhile.

IMG_1548_Fotor.jpg