Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 Cannonball Run Build Thread!

disconovaman

5 hours ago, Cpt Tuttle said:

Yeah, though I guess my skills won't allow an exact replica, but I guess that will fall under the "twist" category as long as I try to keep as close to the concept as possible?
Of course I could always build it pre-transformed, but how much fun is a stock red Viper?

If you can cop the look of that front end all else will be forgiven!  ?

5 hours ago, Cpt Tuttle said:

Of course I could always build it pre-transformed, but how much fun is a stock red Viper

"Defender" was more interesting for sure.  But a Red Viper is still a Red Viper lol...

One of my favorite scenes from the F&F series is at the beginning of Tokyo Drift. It's Perfectly shot and the Kid Rock song with the rich kid with a Viper... It just seems fitting that they smash up a Red Viper. ?

i026770.jpg

3 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I think 1/18th scale is what one of the videos that show rare RC cars. 10 inches long and 4.5 inches wide.

Figured it was , I wish I could remember where I saw the body that fit over the kit body.  I know it was 1/24 ,1/25 scale it may have been a toy or a die-cast. 

10 hours ago, LouO said:

what did I get myself into

Ha! yeah that kit leaves alot to be desired but I still love the kit. I know you'll do good things to it... Maybe you could use some of the Revell S&TB TA drive train to make it better? Just a suggestion ?

if I'm not mistaken it has those Spyder wheels that came on some Mpc kits. The Chevy Stepside pick up had them...? that's got me thinking of the stalled project I was working on almost 3 years ago. I think I'll dig that out in January and try to finish it...

15 hours ago, LouO said:

I finally had a chance to go through my kit (& examine it a little closer). Oh boy! - what did I get myself into!
Looks like I will be "forced" to make at least a few upgrades along the build.
Box.jpg.72a3eee1a75742f5e472f6b577dc85f2.jpg

That kit is pretty rough, I'm replacing all the guts with stuff from the newer 70 1/2 Z/28. The chassis is a bit wide and needs a bit of trimming behind the rear wheels but it's worth the effort.

I wasn't able to find another GT500KR kit for a price I wanted to pay for it before the build started so I went with an 07 GT500. Everything in this kit is the same except for the hood and wheels and I've got other wheels coming anyway. I wanted to give a shout out to Firebird Designs, he was super fast and affordable getting these decals done.

20191231_232352.thumb.jpg.8f046b2c9fca14290e8d22a44cd72313.jpg20191231_232454.thumb.jpg.bd2bb2e75a3f072385f5215eed54ef0b.jpg

24 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Those decals are nice.

I have to admit I was team Decepticon when Barricade showed up. 

Now I'm going to have to build a Bumblebee too one day. I also got the decals to build a version of Motormaster like the show truck.

20191218_132510.jpg

8 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

WooHoo, my kit arrived today, just in time. The following kit will be the tractor part of the Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. truck driven by Sarge. I am still looking for a trailer kit, but I have time for that.

9083B784-A2A9-4A07-9DD7-62EA8ACA8BE2.thumb.jpeg.be34eca5654ae732bf863b0d1750fe37.jpeg

I've got a Lindberg dodge L700 kit with a box trailer... I'd be willing to part with under the right conditions.

PM me if interested.

Got most of my parts sorted out. My plan to use the corvette engine isn't going to work due to it being molded to the chassis and body, however I have one of clearly scales lexus engines so I'll use that instead. The front and rear suspension will be independent from motobitz. The transkit is from c1 so I can do an updated version as if the movie was remade now, but I will have to modify the front lights and grille using the revell part.. For the interior my plan is to make the rocket engine into a lookalike version but really it will be a large fuel tank and nitrous to save having to stop. At the moment I'm leaning towards using the wheels from the ford van kit inside larger rims to get that look right but if something better turns up i'll use that. All the colours will be as in the movie. It might be march before I can get going on this as i have a custom vw to finish first

DSC03403.JPG

DSC03407.JPG

DSC05700.JPG

DSC05701.JPG

Happy New Year's!

It's officially DAY ONE of 2020... You may now commence building. Or incase some of you guys started at midnight... Proceed.  ? 

I'm anxious to see these projects progress. I think we're gonna see some Great Builds come together! Here is the updated Roster...

2020 Cannonball Roster

bobthehobbyguy -Dom's Daytona Charger F&F6

LouO  -Billy Madison's 79 Trans Am

fivesuns -Dirty Mary Crazy Larry Dodge Charger

stitchdup. - Hooper's Trans Am

DPNM - Death Proof  Dodge Charger

MeatMan - Meeting Evil 72 GTO

larman - Dodge Charger Dukes of Hazzard

Jhedir6 - 67 Mustang Gone in 60 seconds

LL3 Model Worx - Daytona Spider Miami Vice

Oldmopars -Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. 379 Peterbilt

KWT -68 Charger Bullitt 

Misha - 51 Hudson The Irishman

Belugawrx- Shelby Cobra Gumball Rally (1976)

Bespoke - 66 Thunderbird Thelma & Louise

disconovaman - 67 Camaro Better Off Dead

Fat Brian- Transformers Mustang Barricade

64SS350 - Bumblebee Camaro

Sam I Am Vanishing Point Challenger

spencer1984 - Hot Rods To Hell 58 Corvette

streetmachine11 - Cherry2000 Mustang

Pat Minarick - Dodge Monaco Hunter

Cpt Tuttle - Defender Viper

Pete75 - Lotus Esprit S1 The Spy Who Loved Me

Edited by disconovaman
Additional texts

I already posted up a before picture taken last night before going to bed. Today I was able to get a lot done. When nothing is open, there is nowhere to go.

The TV truck is a 379-127, the kit truck is 378-119. So, there is 8 in difference in the length of the hood. That is where I started as everything is based on that. I cut the hood into several parts and added 8in to the rear. I also pie cut the back of the hood to get rid of the slope that makes it a 378 and not a 379. I had to add in a bit of scrap to close the gap, a bit of putty and it will be good.

This meant I had to move the cab back. I assembled the frame and then moved the cab mounts back .333in and down .078 (2mm) to make everything line up right. The steering shaft was too short, made a new one. I had to add to the intake tubes also. 

The kit has the tanks behind the cab under the sleeper, but the TV truck the tanks are first and have steps. So, I had to relocated those and add some scratch built steps. 

The TV truck also has a Propane tank on the drivers side in place of the air cleaner that is standard, Hollywood. So, I had to scratch build a propane tank, its not done, but close. 

Nearly all the chrome was stripped and this allowed me to put a bunch of other stuff together. 

Here is the mock up of my progress today:

tktw9Xy4QI2+W71QAeTc7A.jpg

lndpxo1GS46UUjoHpfhi%w.jpg

More progress. One thing that is a blessing and a curse on this build is the lack of good photos. A curse because I don't have a lot to go on, but a blessing in that it does give me a little freedom to be creative because nobody can say it is wrong. I spent most of the day working on the stuff on the roof of the sleeper, adding details to the doors and sanding the hood. Still a bit more work to go on the hood, but it is at least looking more like a 379-127 hood now. 

IMG_0700.jpg

I started on my project today.  I will be using the body from the 68 kit and most of the other parts will come from the 69 kit.  I did this to eliminate the vinyl top which is found on the 69 kit.  I cleaned up mold lines, scribed panel lines and applied 1st coat of primer.  I need to finish up another build before I really jump into this one.  I will post progress periodically.

dmcl 2.jpg

dmcl 1.jpg