Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

18 hours ago, Snake45 said:

One thing I haven't found is my beloved Wrights Silver Cream. Oh well, that stuff's cheap and I can run out and buy some more tomorrow. 

Mission accomplished! And may I say, Walmart doesn't make that stuff easy to find anymore. :blink:B)

1 hour ago, espo said:

My wife knows better than to mess with my model room and related stuff. 

I had the stuff piled up on the dining room table and she'd been after me for months to clean it off, so I can't really be mad at her about that--it was 99% my fault and I'm not even gonna discuss that with her. 

We WILL be having words, however, about the original 1:1 scale '69 Camaro Rally Sport grille and four original, correct-stamped '69 Camaro 15x7 Rally Wheels (with tires) that were minding their own bidness in the garage, not in her way at all, which she threw away.  :blink: That STILL pisses me off, and always will. :angry:

Meanwhile, as the old saying goes, "When the cat's away, the mice build their model cars all over the gorram dining room table." B):lol::lol::lol:

19 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I had the stuff piled up on the dining room table and she'd been after me for months to clean it off, so I can't really be mad at her about that--it was 99% my fault and I'm not even gonna discuss that with her. 

We WILL be having words, however, about the original 1:1 scale '69 Camaro Rally Sport grille and four original, correct-stamped '69 Camaro 15x7 Rally Wheels (with tires) that were minding their own bidness in the garage, not in her way at all, which she threw away.  :blink: That STILL pisses me off, and always will. :angry:

Meanwhile, as the old saying goes, "When the cat's away, the mice build their model cars all over the gorram dining room table." B):lol::lol::lol:

We had not been married very long and had just moved into our new home. I'm at work and she's having a garage sale. She calls me at work, and I'm trying to talk to customers. She tells me this guy saw the 350 engine I had in the corner of the garage and the guy wanted to buy it. I told her it wasn't for sale. She calls me back to say the guy wanted it really bad and would pay big money for it. I don't recall how much I told her, but it was enough that I could get a new one thru the parts department at work. I get home that night and the engine is gone. She got what I wanted for it, but she threw in the brand-new engine stand it was on.    

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, espo said:

My wife knows better than to mess with my model room and related stuff. That said I have no doubt but what you will be able to bid on whatever is left on E Bay before I'm cold and in the ground, unless they're running a special on cremations. 

My wife said, "It's me, or the models!", so I rented her a storage unit to stay in.😂 Problem solved. Actually, I'm not married. I like it better, this way!

• Haha 1

I am truly a lucky guy with regards to my modeling interest over the years. My bride of 53 years, Joyce, has always been very supportive of any of the various hobby endeavors I have enjoyed. She went to the flying field with me frequently when I built and flew model aircraft whether it was control line, free flight, or RC models and actually let me teach her to fly RC. Now that I can no longer fly RC models due to a small stroke and resultant Vertigo she encourages me to buy the static model kits that catch my interest as she goes about to the various hobby stores with me and, as an example, always tells me to have fun with the model project on the bench. I appreciate her thoughts, comments, suggestions and support more than she will ever know and I am thankful that we found each other many years ago. She is truly my best friend! 💕

Joe

• Like 3

Speaking of wives..... I bough a brand new black Ranger GT in 87. Left it home and went to work in our other car. Wife was not working at the time and decided to surprise me and wash the Ranger. When I got home I was shocked !  It looked like she washed it with a Brillo pad !  Swirls all in that black paint. I worked and worked on that truck and finally took it in for a good detail. Never did get it back all the way but much better. Oh and yes, we are still married.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Speaking of wives..... I bough a brand new black Ranger GT in 87. Left it home and went to work in our other car. Wife was not working at the time and decided to surprise me and wash the Ranger. When I got home I was shocked !  It looked like she washed it with a Brillo pad !  Swirls all in that black paint. I worked and worked on that truck and finally took it in for a good detail. Never did get it back all the way but much better. Oh and yes, we are still married.

I have owned a few black painted cars in my life plus a couple of very dark blue ones. They do require some extra care unless you don't care. The only commercial car washes I will use are the brushless drive thru ones that clean only using water jets and blow driers, even on the white car I drive today. Even hand washing I use two different wash mitts depending on what part of the body I'm cleaning and use the hose to often hose out the mitts even during washing. I use two different chamois when drying the car as well. These also are rinsed parodically to remove any contaminants. Seems like a lot of work to just wash a car, but think about what that car cost you, so why wouldn't you care for it?  Or maybe some people just don't care what their car looks like, sort of like going out to dinner in a nice restaurant with a dirt wrinkled shirt and pants, I guess.   

On 12/10/2022 at 6:26 PM, Snake45 said:

...TLMS isn't going to like this when she gets home. Good. Let HER be depressed for a while. :lol:

Hope you find all your stuff, Snake.

Just reading about your 1:1 stuff getting gone makes me see red. Why not throw out most of her shoes and clothes, and see how SHE deals?

One of the main reasons I've been (mostly) blissfully single for the last 20+ years is having tired of women who seem to somehow think they're my boss. No honey...even if you pay my salary, you do not TELL me what to do.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Just reading about your 1:1 stuff getting gone makes me see red. Why not throw out most of her shoes and clothes, and see how SHE deals?

Wouldn't hurt her nearly as bad. She throws out her own stuff all the time. She's utterly unable to become attached to stuff, the way we men do. Not a trace of attachment to things. 

But I DID do something that'll get her. When I came home from hospital on June 1, there was a big pile of food in the middle of the kitchen floor. We have a lazy suzan deal in the kitchen cabinets and the rotating hinge thing at the top broke years ago so you have to jiggle the snot out of the thing to open or close it. While I was in hospital, she called a handyman of some sort to come fix it, and took all the food therein out and piled it on the floor. The handyman came, evidently, said he needed something to fix it, left, and never came back. The food has been sitting right there in the middle of the floor for six and a half months. (I took this pic yesterday.) Incredibly, THIS pile doesn't seem to bother her.  I got tired of walking into it, so this morning I put all the food back in the lazy suzan and appropriated those two big boxes for the diecasts I'm gonna Snake-Fu in the next two weeks, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 

(The broken lazy suzan door is just visible at top center of this pic.) 

P1010083.JPG.8d9ee2c78655b1492d44b3ae38de2f5c.JPG

6 1/2 MONTHS!  Dang, Richard, you must be a Saint. 😐  WOW!!  If that occurred at my cabin the neighbors four blocks away would have heard all of it hit the trash can a few moments after I saw it sitting on the floor. 😳🤣

Joe

Edited by Joe Nunes

Went to the building to paint today.  Insulated the building a couple weeks back and have heat now that works.  I did all my spraying on a 94 F150 lightning kit that I'm building as just a truck, paint style from back in the day.  I miss these old 2 tone paint jobs.  

IMG_20221213_173021534.jpg

Edited by randyc
  • Like 1

Started the BMF last night on my Dodge. Got the chassis up on wheels. I realized last week that for some stupid reason I never put headers on the engine. So I pulled the motor and found some headers in the parts pile. I had to take about 1/8 inch out of the tubes to get them not to hang so low. They fit between the rails perfectly.

Getting close now.

Later-

20221214_172547.jpg

20221214_172612.jpg

20221214_173013.jpg

20221214_173043.jpg

20221214_205806.jpg

• Like 1

I’ve been working on this AMT Wild Hoss Bronco. I modified the kit suspension to sit higher to clear the Fireball Wheels/Tires I’m gonna use.The Coyote engine is from JPS custom wheels/tires. Not going to add too much detail other than just trying to finish something up since it has been a while.I finished the final mock up so I can blow it back apart to start painting.

D6C9AFD9-1423-45C0-B482-D7A1C7FCC3C2.jpeg

E4811D3F-56A8-466D-85CB-7A495636178C.jpeg

Edited by catpack68
  • Like 1

Was in my building and dug out 2 48 Fords I was working on 10? Years ago.   Going to try to finish them.  

Edit: adding pic.  The Carson top car is on an AMT 49 Merc frame.  It's the conv kit and I think the top was in that kit?  I made the skirts, which seemed like a good idea at the time, but not so much now, but they are firmly glued in place, so they will stay.  I have parts of a 5.0 HO ford engine I would like to use but will have to find the rest of the parts. 

The other car is straight out of the box so far.  

Why didn't I finish these back then?

IMG_20221221_095224550.jpg

Edited by randyc
  • Like 1

Haven't made a lot of progress this last week on my 64 Dodge 330 due to home projects but managed to get all of the BMF done yesterday. Tonight I figured since this thing has a hige motor, roll bar and wheelie bars that it probably should have seat harnesses. So, tonight I bit the bullet and installed 4 point harnesses for the driver and passenger. Now my eyes are buggin'.

Next is a final clear coat and polish then slap it together!

Later-

20221223_202617.jpg

20221223_205503.jpg

20221223_215701.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 6:26 PM, Snake45 said:

When I had my stroke last April and spent two months in hospital, The Lovely Mrs. Snake took advantage of the opportunity to box up all my modeling stuff and put it out in the garage shed. This so depressed me that I haven't touched a model since, and was beginning to think I never would again. 

Well, she went on vacation to her home country for three weeks last week. Yesterday I got in the mood to go out in the shed and try to find my stuff. I dragged three likely looking boxes into the house. Today I started going through one of them and so far have found at least half of my essential modeling tools and paints. I have hopes of actually laying tools on something--most likely, a quick Snake-Fu job on a diecast--in the next couple days, and with a little luck I could have six or eight diecasts Snake-Fued by the time TLMS gets home. 

It took me a buttload of time but I finally got through those three big boxes and managed to find at least 95% of my essential tools, paints, and materials. Went out and bought a couple of those clear plastic storage trays and got my essential stuff organized into them. Maybe I can get in the habit of getting out only what I need and then putting it away at the end of a session or end of the day. That might work for both of us. 

Didn't get much Snake-Fu work done. I did pull three of the new diecasts apart so I could white-spot the lenses, then screwed 'em back together. Hopefully I can back to some real work in the next week. 

And I think I have my next kit project lined up--the reissued AMT '68 Corvette. Got two of 'em last week, wow, they are real Parts Mines. And the fact that this kit doesn't come close to building an accurate model of ANYTHING means I can just go crazy and have fun with it--just like I did when I was 14. Suddenly it's 1968! :D

• Like 4

While waiting for it to warm up a bit to be able to.spray some clear on my Dodge I returned to pecking away at this Merc. Been trying to desin a front grill and bumper for it. Using parts from a 57 Chevy, the 56 Caddy bumperettes and a 53 Olds grill center from a parts pack. Definitely going to have a heavy front end, but I like it. Now to find some rectangular metal mesh similat to the grill from a 56 Caddy.

Also doing a bit more putty work on the body.

Later-

20221224_165216.jpg

20221224_165702.jpg

20221225_080800.jpg

20221225_081014.jpg

20221225_081028.jpg

20221225_081036.jpg

• Like 1