Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1963 Impala - Advanced Custom Version

Impalow

Hi Eric!

Bravo for the award, it is truly well deserved.

A fellow forum visitor told me ,recently,  something to the effect  that "cleanliness and flawless assembly gets you attention, imagination gets you the trophy". It might not be his exact quote, but certainly he is right, and your transporter is the living proof. 

Congrats!

CT

• Like 1

Congrats Eric on the build & the award!  Truly deserved......however.......I can't wait to see what you do with the dragster. With your talents and imagination, it'll be an awesome addition to this one.     Cheers, tim

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Thank you guys!!!

Well, it looks like NNL East is a go!   I booked our room.. now I need to finally finish this thing.

On 3/30/2022 at 10:50 AM, Mr. Metallic said:

The truck came out awesome, thanks for taking us along for the ride.

May i suggest, to match the level of the truck, that you replace the kit wire wheels on your dragster with pieces by Curt Raitz? 

I was actually going to do just that, until I saw this older tutorial on here and figured I had all the raw materials.. I should at least give it a go.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/150597-wire-wheel-lacing-tutorial-feds-simplified/

Surprisingly it was pretty "easy-ish"... I have only done the one so far, because I want to film the other as a "How-To" for my YouTube channel.

Dragster4.jpg.1769dc5afaee66806dc3843049d83679.jpgDragster3.jpg.2354b48d7be2620d1a8ac0e06dd8f97a.jpgDragster2.jpg.716801e113ae8b552414f0c7567396c2.jpgDragster1.jpg.31dedda3dd82b258d79cc62b4717609d.jpg

I have also been fooling around getting the pose-able steering front axle built, located and the rest of the dragster body fabricated... Lots of experimenting with styrene shapes.

Dragster5.jpg.27302440244a124f551ad362a351de5e.jpgDragster6.jpg.611a94f2c688f71e8d013f24793e0097.jpg

I knocked out the headers and lowered the engine another 1/8" to make it look a bit more cohesive.... progress is happening!

Dragster7.jpg.0e2958d47378b08abb047cb1fb079765.jpg

• Like 6

Cool! The wire wheels look very good, and I like how the curves on trailing end of the dragster are reminiscent of the hauler's roofline.

I've been wanting to try that lacing technique using CA instead of solder to fix the spokes in place, and I've always wondered how people are getting the two halves of the rim to mate without a gap in the center (equal to the diameter of the spoke wire). How'd you do it?

• Like 1

Thanks guys!!  Its fun to be back on it!

23 hours ago, Spex84 said:

Cool! The wire wheels look very good, and I like how the curves on trailing end of the dragster are reminiscent of the hauler's roofline.

I've been wanting to try that lacing technique using CA instead of solder to fix the spokes in place, and I've always wondered how people are getting the two halves of the rim to mate without a gap in the center (equal to the diameter of the spoke wire). How'd you do it?

Thanks Chris!  I used epoxy to secure the spokes to the rims and it did create a bit of an issue with thickness when joining.. I plan on painting these with molotow so I feel like the gap should somewhat disappear... but it is there.

I thought about using a saw to create and little notches/pockets in the aluminum for the spokes, but that seemed like a lot of work.

I think the best option would be to 3D print the rim halves and put little notches in for the wires on the backsides... That would serve as a guide to keep the spokes more uniform, and also help the halves fit together better.  Ill probably give that a go for a future project!

7 minutes ago, Impalow said:

I think the best option would be to 3D print the rim halves and put little notches in for the wires on the backsides... That would serve as a guide to keep the spokes more uniform, and also help the halves fit together better.  Ill probably give that a go for a future project!

I thought about 3d printing a single rim with holes for the spokes, just like a real one - would make it super easy to assemble (relatively).  I didn't get as far as figuring out how the hub would work though - it would be nice to be able to do something with the spokes passing through the rim to help keep everything straight and secure, but it may be too many holes in too small of a part to be feasible...

• 1 month later...

So trying to make a push to get this complete for NNL east... 3 years late but whatever.. 🤣

I got the W-Block built and detailed.. still some final touches to add, but I'll do that after its final installation into the dragster.

The fuel lines on the injection were extra fun...Dragster8.jpg.4346f939e9e88aea9743e88dacd3bb3d.jpgDragster11.jpg.3645ea7b334011fab9911f598ad57c00.jpg

I finished up the body work on the body, primed and used the same metalflake combo on it as the hauler... then a bunch of urethane clear to smooth it all out.

Dragster9.jpg.b3478c6be6fdec08402cc5900658bf14.jpg

Last night I was able to get it sanded down with 2000grit and spray the rainbow kandys on it... the Splash Paints Kandys go on so nice, and the color builds easy so its a pretty controlled process...  The plan was to have it match the colors on the hauler and I think I pulled that off pretty decent. I did bugger up the overlap in the back between the blue and violet, but its mostly covered by a tire and should be fine.    Ready for one more round of clear, and then final assembly!

Dragster10.jpg.2a041e798883c74440ca281882b26b85.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks guys!!!   Got some time this weekend to add some decals! 

A few more little ones to add and time for more urethane clear... 

Dragster12.jpg.10188349086919a29fc25762c583fde2.jpgDragster13.jpg.1a9a67ad0f6ad07fdb481fd8858b2bf8.jpg

Then I wanted to try and make my own shiny silver parachute pack... I know people have used cigarette wrappers but I don't smoke, so I had to get creative.

I found these cool textured foil chocolate wrappers on Amazon, and they seemed to work nice.   https://a.co/d/jjXbedQ you get a lifetime supply under 6.00 shipped.

I just made a little square and covered it...It was a bit tricky to work with because it is very thin, however I didn't have any issues with tearing.  

I also think it would work fantastic for more modern heatshield material... lots of uses and 100 4" x 4" sheets will last me quite awhile. 🤣

Dragster14.jpg.87e61139d9ee4f48da1ce179e9cd2770.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Oh man, that parachute looks amazing - love the little brass washer and the eyelet poking through.  Nice work!!

Yeah!  I still need to do a release cable and the little "remove before flight" tag!

Decals done!!!  Hopefully I get to shoot some clear on my lunch break tomorrow!

Dragster15.jpg.925b4c7afa92220260deb0e485b9097c.jpgDragster16.jpg.a3eac7beec483fee29100cfdf2fead3e.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...