Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best built-right-from-the-box kits?

39 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Doesn't do a thing for me.

I have no more interest in a modern Mustang kit than I do anything else Tamiya produces.

Steve

Me neither. I have a couple diecasts and a Revell 2008 Bullitt Mustang kit, and those completely scratch all my "modern Mustang" itches. B)

Wake me when Tamiya does a '67-'68 Cougar, or a '65 Skylark GS. That'll pry my wallet open! If they're 1/25 and curbside, better yet! B)

9 hours ago, Michael jones said:

Tamiya are releasing the Ford Mustang GT4 to keep you guys happy however. Maybe that is the opportunity some of you need to build and enjoy a Tamiya kit.

Tamiya has gotten my attention lately with the Mercedes,  GT,  Supra and the GT4. If they do a stock Mustang GT, I'll have to have a couple or more. The price will be worth it IMO.

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Of course.

But how many Tamiya kits do they sell in the US?

A lot I'll bet!

Why wouldn't any company want to expand their customer base?

Steve

I don't have any inside info, but I'm sure that even in U.S. they sell a good number of their exotic European-prototype sports car, and Japanese prototype car models.  I'm also sure they sell  lots of the military subject models worldwide.

But as far as producing '60s and '70s muscle cars go, think about it this way:  How many Japanese prototype models are made by American model companies (Revell, Mongram, AMT, MPC, or whatever current reincarnation of those companies)?  So, just like you wouldn't expect American companies suddenly start producing models of Japanese cars, it is very doubtful Tamiya will ever make models of American muscle cars.   Right?

Oh yes, totally forgot about this one.  If they follow the standard Tamiya pattern, there will be a street legal version before long.  As to Tamiya in the USA, years ago, when I was involved with Tamiya(doing display/advertisement models and seminars) I was told that the US amounted to less than 10% of their sales world wide and that included all of their military kits.  That would tell me that the car market for them is rather a small portion of their production.  It has to be something with world wide interest to get approved for production.

Also, they are not inexpensive relative to the old MPC/Revell/AMT stuff  The new GT 4 is listed at $60.  I doubt that you will ever go into a hobby shop and find a $20 Tamiya car kit.  Back many years ago, I use to get their kits for $20 but the other manufactures stuff was less than $10.

I found it interesting, when I was looking for the price on the new mustang that they are re-releasing the 60s Celica and Supras. I totally missed the announcements.  It does make a lot of sense though as these cars are starting to come into prominence in the collector car market. 

1:24 Ford Mustang GT4 - Pre-Order Release Date July 2020

1 hour ago, peteski said:

I don't have any inside info, but I'm sure that even in U.S. they sell a good number of their exotic European-prototype sports car, and Japanese prototype car models.  I'm also sure they sell  lots of the military subject models worldwide.

But as far as producing '60s and '70s muscle cars go, think about it this way:  How many Japanese prototype models are made by American model companies (Revell, Mongram, AMT, MPC, or whatever current reincarnation of those companies)?  So, just like you wouldn't expect American companies suddenly start producing models of Japanese cars, it is very doubtful Tamiya will ever make models of American muscle cars.   Right?

Many of the American kit makers have produced and sold a lot of foreign and exotic cars over the years.

image.png.20b43593c893465b58a0920fa6655fd6.pngimage.png.dbe51584ba36f049fd30f2cdc0da7bb9.pngimage.png.23f6f4f533e7f6c3a5c8d3552c93ecc5.pngimage.png.8b7169875e5cdba90e13ebf83f98fdc9.png

Revell does TONS of them!

They've all made a much greater effort to reach out to the foreign car aficionados in the U.S. than Tamiya ever did for those of us that love American cars!

Likewise, there are plenty of Japanese kit makers that have made forays into the American automotive niche of the hobby.

I have a bunch of them in my stash right now.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Yes, but if you look at the overall model kit offerings of U.S. manufactures, the ratio of foreign makes to domestic makes is fairly low.  Anyways, no matter how much we discuss this, it will not change the fact that Tamiya's kits are well engineered and molded kits, suitable for best-out-of-the-box builds, and that chances of them producing a line of American muscle cars models is nil.  At least that is my semi-educated opinion.

And Pete J. summed it up pretty well (and based his opinion on some inside info).

Edited by peteski

Most kitmakers do tend to skew heavily towards the local product. 

As for the original question.  I do like Jo-Han's V-16 Cadillac a lot. For a 50+ year old kit with lots of tiny parts, assembly is surprisingly painless.

Monogram's '59 Cadillac is good too, and I really like Revell's '40 and '48 Ford kits. 

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Yes, but if you look at the overall model kit offerings of U.S. manufactures, the ratio of foreign makes to domestic makes is fairly low.  Anyways, no matter how much we discuss this, it will not change the fact that Tamiya's kits are well engineered and molded kits, suitable for best-out-of-the-box builds, and that chances of them producing a line of American muscle cars models is nil.  At least that is my semi-educated opinion.

And Pete J. summed it up pretty well (and based his opinion on some inside info).

Oh I don't disagree at all!

I know that Tamiya will very likely never produce anything that interests me.

That's okay with me.

But if you have limited interests like many of us do, they're of no consequence to us whatsoever, regardless of price, or how wonderful the engineering is, if their line-up doesn't include us.

Steve

I’ll buy a good kit of an interesting thing more or less irrespective of the subject matter. Whether it’s a 1/16 British Policewoman, a 1/72 Israeli Centurion tank or Sunseeker super yacht, a 1/48 DH.88 Comet or 1:1 scale Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, 1/20 or 1/43 Matra or Tyrell race cars, a 1/16 Fairground steam engine or a 1/96 Saturn V... Goodness knows where I’ll put them once they’re done, but I’m confident I’ll enjoy building them and learn something along the way...

best,

M.

4 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Bottom line, modelers of any persuasion are essentially sons of niches.

LOL!

I must be Polish, because I don't fit that mold. I'm an equal opportunity modeler.  I'm not tied to some narrow preference. I build passenger cars (foreign and domestic, trucks, bikes, any year, fantasy models, aircraft, even model trains).  What I'm not into is military modelers in general (although I used to build them as a teen (aircraft and armor).  But I often look at some military subjects and think I would enjoy building them. But I already have too many unbuild models stashed, so I control my urges. Although I do already have few military subjects (ships, aircraft) in my unbuilt models stash.

21 minutes ago, peteski said:

But I already have too many unbuild models stashed, so I control my urges.

That's part of the reason why my focus is as narrow as it is.

I have enough projects to keep me busy for the remainder of my existence.

I can't justify spending any of the precious time that I have left building anything that I might be "mildly" interested in. ;)

Steve

As far as building 'em Out-Of-The-Box, I thought the pre-painted Polar Lights '64 GTO and '65 Coronet kits were mainly trouble-free, and I only added a little detail paint here and there.

Another pretty good one to build is AMT's '58 Edsel kit. Not much fuss with that one.

3 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

I’ll buy a good kit of an interesting thing more or less irrespective of the subject matter. Whether it’s a 1/16 British Policewoman...

How did I miss that one?  I couldn't resist this ICM 1/16 scale female Canadian Mountie.  And her dog.  ICM has also done a 1/16 female Israeli soldier of the K-9 unit "Oketz," with a much meaner-looking dog.

icm_rcmp.jpg

5 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Most kitmakers do tend to skew heavily towards the local product. 

As for the original question.  I do like Jo-Han's V-16 Cadillac a lot. For a 50+ year old kit with lots of tiny parts, assembly is surprisingly painless.

Would that also be the same as the Monogram V-16 Cadillac!

5 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Why not try the Tamiya version kit #24062, currently available for about $20.

Toyota Supra 3.0 Gt Turbo Kit

Thank you for the recommendation ! I love those ol' Gatorback tyres --- state-of-the-art for their time .

The MPC version(s) are the ones I truly desire , as they're a trip down memory lane . I'm just apprehensive about buying one via eBay , et alia , due to the dreaded "tyre burn" issues . 

I'll keep me eyes open for the Tamiya kit -- it looks nice !

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 1:52 AM, slusher said:

AMt  57 300C. AMT 71 Duster  AMT 62 Pontiac And 70 71 Monte Carlo SS 454

THANK YOU for finally mentioning these great AMT kits.  I like Tamiya too, but there are some surprise goodies from other manufacturers.

I've recently built a Moebius F100 and a Moebius Hudson Hornet that went also together well, although the instructions take some getting used to.  Who needs instructions anyway?

11 hours ago, Bucky said:

As far as building 'em Out-Of-The-Box, I thought the pre-painted Polar Lights '64 GTO and '65 Coronet kits were mainly trouble-free, and I only added a little detail paint here and there.

Good to hear. I'm hoping to Snake-slap a prepainted '65 Coronet together this week. B)