Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fiat 131 Abarth

Performed some reshaping of the wheel flares for the gravel spec build.  Sanded down the lips are far as I dared to narrow them and reshaped the lower edge to follow the body curvature.  Shortened the front valance as well.  Not a dramatic difference but useful nonetheless.  The gravel car is on the left in the photos.

DSCN6885DSCN6883DSCN6888DpP68E6W0AA5pC

Edited by afx

There was huge void above the rear trans-axle extending all the way up to the package shelf. Made a filler panel to close it up.
2v2HAKhTJxHzrnL.jpg

A friend who's eye and opinion I trust suggested I narrow the outer bead of the wheel rim.  I had narrowed the bead some previously but took the leap and narrowed them further after studying more photographs.  Glad I did!  The wheel on the left is the newly modified wheel, the one on the right is where I was before. Narrowing the bead also has the effect of making the tire sidewall appear taller without increasing the overall diameter - win win.

2v2HAKhSzxHzrnL.jpg

Edited by afx

2 hours ago, David G. said:

I'm impressed  by the adjustment you made to the wheels. It's one of those minor details that most viewers would never consciously notice but that add to the overall impression of realism.

Subtle yet powerful.

David G.

I like to give myself time to study and reflect during a project to find/discover areas where improvement is available. Little improvements along the way can add up to more than the sum of their parts.

If there was no name on a thread, just a build (whatever the make) and saw this...........I would either think it was yours or on that belongs to Ace (Bill).  That's a BIG compliment btw.   Such clean execution.  cheers, tim

Thanks Tim and I do take that as a compliment. I too admire Ace-Garageguy's work. I think my workbench is a little cleaner than Bill's though.:D

Edited by afx

I've been working on a lot of part fitment and tweaking the fender flare shapes so not much interesting to show in that regard.
DSCN6926-vi.jpgDSCN6938-vi.jpgDSCN6936-vi.jpg

I've decided to have another go at my customized version of the Campagnolo wheels. 
2v2HB49HrxHzrnL.jpg

Here is what the wheel will look like with Replicas & Miniatures' acorn nuts and an axle nut made from solid hex rod added.  I rather like it.
2v2HBVbWVxHzrnL.jpg

Edited by afx

Added acorn nuts(3/4" in scale) to outer rim of my modified wheels.

2v2H6USZ8xHzrnL.jpg

Modified the kit wheels into the very shallow version of the Cromodora.

2v2H6USQMxHzrnL.jpg

I need to order more acorn nuts to finish out all of these wheels.

2v2H6USbzxHzrnL.jpg

Edited by afx

9 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Watched the video, too bad they didn't fire up the Fiat.  Now I want to get acorn nuts, just because.

The acorn nuts certainly come in handy.

Here is the street version but it will give you and idea of the exhaust note.

Edited by afx