Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fiat 131 Abarth

Work has continued on the 2nd chassis very similar to the first one so I haven't bored you with the photos.  Here is the 2nd dash slightly different, I went with a rally odometer is lieu of the stop watches.  Added a piece of tubing to the reset knob similar to what they did in the 1:1.

2v2HwcYsnxHzrnL.jpg

9 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

Nice work on the dash JC..how were the air/temp controls done..?

Looking good?

Thanks Bruce. Heater controls are bits of wire:

•  Drilled a hole and glued them in
  • Put a drop of superglue on the end of the controls to give them some shape

On 3/20/2020 at 1:41 PM, afx said:

They are closed here too Shay.

The bars are closed here also, although I think you may be able to get drive-by service.  I know the governor has classified the local ABC (Alcoholic Beverage Control) stores as being an essential business so they are open.  That's what everyone needs, locked up in their homes with a couple bottles of Wild Turkey.

2 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

Looks Great JC... 

Thanks Scott

7 minutes ago, Dave Ambrose said:

I like this build a lot. My first-ever new car was a '78 FIAT 131. Great car once I rescued it from the professional FIAT mechanics. What engine is this? It's not the factory engine I remember. 

Thanks Dave.   Engine is the 1.4 liter Twin-Cam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Twin_Cam_engine

Edited by afx

1 minute ago, 89AKurt said:

Looking good!   Fixing a pet peeve of mine, a rally car with slicks just doesn't seem right.

They ran slicks as well as treaded and studded tires depending on the conditions.

2v2HpVSfFxHzrnL.jpg

1 hour ago, Gary Davis said:

Man JC....It's a real pleasure to watch your clean building style. I've never been one to build two cars at one time. You make it look easy!

Thanks for checking in Gary.  First time I have built two version of the same kit at the same time myself.  I have built several variations of the AMT Cobra but not at the same time. 

Edited by afx

14 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Dangit, Bud!...yours are looking so good that i have to get one of these to build!!!

Thanks Dann. The kit has been recently re-issued under the Italeri label so not nearly as expensive or difficult to find as they used to be.  Been re-issued by Revell in the past as well as the original release by Esci.

Amazon.com: Italeri 1/24 Fiat 131 Abarth Rally IT3662: Toys & Games

15 hours ago, afx said:

Thanks Dann. The kit has been recently re-issued under the Italeri label so not nearly as expensive or difficult to find as they used to be.  Been re-issued by Revell in the past as well as the original release by Esci.

Amazon.com: Italeri 1/24 Fiat 131 Abarth Rally IT3662: Toys & Games

Thanks, Bud!..i will have to get one!!

57 minutes ago, geetee66 said:

I have a soft spot for 131's.

back in the day, I had a girlfriend with a 2.0L Mirafiori. Great rear seats!

My girlfriend had a '78 Chrysler Cordoba very plush and roomy! 

Thnaks David.  Yes let's get back to building models - we were getting a bit sidetracked.:)

I really like the Campagnolo wheels but the five lugs just aren't right and I can't get past it - sooo modified/detailed the kit wheels and replaced the tires with Pirelli Cinturato.

DSCN6876

Edited by afx