Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Ads Are Now Out of Control!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Google's motto used to be "Don't be evil." Guess that's gone away.

Oh that is SO 2015. :lol:

Today I'm seeing ads for firearms suppressors (commonly but incorrectly known as "silencers"). Although I'm interested in firearms, I've never googled suppressors (they're pretty expensive and wrapped in red tape) in my life. WTF? :wacko:

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Today I'm seeing ads for firearms suppressors (commonly but incorrectly known as "silencers"). Although I'm interested in firearms, I've never googled suppressors (they're pretty expensive and wrapped in red tape) in my life. WTF? :wacko:

It is not just your Google search history.  Google has all sorts of info about you collected, and use that to show you ads they "think" spark your interest.  The thought was that government was the "big brother" is so wrong - Google and other Internet giants are the true "big brother" collecting all sorts of info about us and watching us.

On 5/1/2020 at 12:51 PM, Snake45 said:

Didntja respond to the post about the toy Glock yesterday?   

12 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Didntja respond to the post about the toy Glock yesterday?   

Oh I'm a member of several gun boards, and have searched for a certain amount of other gun stuff. I just wonder how the algorithm decided I'd be a good customer for an expensive suppressor, in which I have shown exactly ZERO interest. :unsure:

Just now, Snake45 said:

Oh I'm a member of several gun boards, and have searched for a certain amount of other gun stuff. I just wonder how the algorithm decided I'd be a good customer for an expensive suppressor, in which I have shown exactly ZERO interest. :unsure:

The same way the eBay algorithm takes a search for "Chrysler 300" and sends you junk for "300 CDs"  

You'd THINK that the algorithm would decide to present US with ads for model retailers, paints, airbrushes, hobby tools of all kinds, and so forth. But, evidently, not. :unsure:

Every now and then there will be a model car on eBay, but not nearly as often as you might expect. 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

You'd THINK that the algorithm would decide to present US with ads for model retailers, paints, airbrushes, hobby tools of all kinds, and so forth. But, evidently, not. :unsure:

Nope! That algorithm only reads "MODEL" and sends us lingerie ads!  ?

Just read through this whole post.  Thankfully I have never had the venetian blind ads or the ones overlapping the subject titles.  The most problems I have are those between comments.  A few of those are designed to subtly look like another comment.  That being said, I have my adblocker turned off for this site and so far I have not had a single ad pop up while reading all six pages of this post.  Now I will probably go to the next post and be attacked unmercifully with ads.  Anyway, a big thank you to Dave for trying to help with this problem.