Model Cars Magazine Forum

Now that the Mashpee rig is done I've gone back to a project that I introduced some time ago.  It had me at a loss as to really go about rebuilding the casting because it was so poor.  The time away from it gave me some added incentive to try again so here is the beginning.

001.JPG.2518d4b42847ae90b8f5731fe4a74f15.JPG

Here was the original casting.  At this point the hood and fenders have been cut free and some modifications were begin on the location of the windshield.  It was relocated more above the cowl and was given some V shape.

003.JPG.7738b6fd7a2e87bcada779adb0258e57.JPG

To make a new windshield surround it was laid out on sheet brass, bent in the middle and a small strip of brass was soldered around the edge.  The finished windshield surround is in the middle.  

004.JPG.d2d5b1ed181f02411cbc882130f97578.JPG

The windshield was rough fit in the opening and then mounted securely with additional fitting and supergluing.

006.jpg.b1f3190e2b7168eda8973cea45c2da84.jpg

Next was the lower cab sides.  They were bowed in, very thin and not good to work with.  So new sides were made up of plastic sheet stock and tubing.  In the photo above the windshield has been opened up leaving in effect a brass angle completely around it.  The angle will help hold the windshield glass in position.  There are some relief sculpture lines on the cab but they are not quite as pronounced as what is in the photo.  The lower ones need to be diminished quite a bit.

008.JPG.30bf7e33c9bda523bc7dc15b1d7e3bf5.JPG

The door panels have been filled in some and will be reshaped.  The cowl is being reshaped with some putty and the fenders and hood have been roughed out.  Renshape was used for the fenders and hood.  It is great stuff to work with, having no grain, it sands and cuts easily in any direction but is very strong.  I made paper templates of the hood and fenders and one of the fender templates is still in place on the right fender.  The fenders were first cut out on a band saw and then sanded to the outer shape on a disk sander.  The edges can be rounded by hand.  The underside will be hollowed out using a Dremel and some sanding disks.

Not a lot going on today so there was more to do on the Reo.  Hood was cut from Renshape the same as the fender blanks.  The hood sides were also cut from that material which made it easy to shape the rounded front.  Renshape is strong enough that I could cut out the grill area as well.  The grill area was printed out on paper and glued to the nose.  Then a cutting wheel was used to open up the slots.  A small file was used to finish up the openings.  There is still some fitting to do so that the cab and hood line up over the fenders.  Next will be to round off the fenders on the outside and grind away the inner portion of the blanks to get the thinness of each fender.

010.JPG.4e69b7258b1f28e884e3d06a6f878fae.JPG012.JPG.17a8ac9146040b5e7d653344c5b9e02a.JPG014.JPG.3d426ec2b645c3781b7166fa8e240468.JPG

Amazing work as always Charles! Are you going to make a Gold Comet inline 6 cylinder gas engine too? From what I understand, that is basically the same engine that White used in later years. I was hoping to try and make one for a 9000 White project myself some day. Looking forward to seeing more!!

That's my goal, Brian.  I'm a long way from that as you can see.  I have a ton of photos of the 6 in my files to work from.  The more I see of the nose the more refining it needs.  Little things that will set if off need to be done to really clean up edges and smooth it out.  Fiddly stuff but in the end it pays off.

9 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

That's my goal, Brian.  I'm a long way from that as you can see.  I have a ton of photos of the 6 in my files to work from.  The more I see of the nose the more refining it needs.  Little things that will set if off need to be done to really clean up edges and smooth it out.  Fiddly stuff but in the end it pays off.

I've gotten my notebook out! Class is now in session! I'm taking notes! You've got my attention!!

with all the time on my hands I found a video of a Reo getting pulled out of the weeds. However when I returned to your build I realized that the truck in the video is the same as the resin cab you cut off, not the one you are building. Oh Well. You might like it anyway. 

I watched the video.  I really had my doubts that you were going to get that out of the woods with that little track machine.  Like most things small there is persistence that pays off!

Here's an update on the Reo.  I know I said it is a 57 but it actually is a 53 that I am modeling.  Not a lot of difference but it still should be accurate.  Fenders are now hollowed out and rounded.  Cab and hood fitting is coming along.

020.JPG.157b52c2cb8af92f9f91aead2e2fe1ce.JPG021.JPG.205ad26d83b2eb3577b1eed1f9eee231.JPG024.JPG.747408e9df5af87f1bc1dc2a0c4add2c.JPG

I got some additional work done on the nose.  Added the Gold Comet badge to the sides, did up the headlights and added the hood ornament.  I found that the right side grill openings were just a bit off so the outside edges were extended a tad and that required moving the Comet badge back a smidge as well.  Small parking lights have been added to the top of the headlight buckets.   These were taken before I adjusted the right side grill openings and the parts have since been given an initial coat of primer.  It does wonders to bring out the flaws that need attention.031.JPG.d2efc95e2eb22932afd1ce24fa304705.JPG033.JPG.2bc35d1a4cb603ff728cfc0192cb628f.JPG034.JPG.d6915f34cfa159bd19af33479713194f.JPG035.JPG.26a23086384402878d6786a2bf9a9f12.JPG

Hi, Jeff.  No I won't be casting the cabs but that doesn't mean that won't happen.  Talking with someone else about doing that.  But before I send it out I need to do some more work.  Bumper, running boards, interior tub, seat, dashboard need to be made as well and that will take a little time.  But stay tuned.  I think it will happen.