Model Cars Magazine Forum

'58 Edsel Phantom Wagon

Plowboy

6 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Have you decided how the hood will be tilted yet ? I just ran into that area , and gotta play around making some kind of hinge mounted up front behind the horse collar ! 

No, I'm going to just leave it loose. 

On 5/18/2020 at 12:13 PM, gotnitro? said:

Have you decided how the hood will be tilted yet ? I just ran into that area , and gotta play around making some kind of hinge mounted up front behind the horse collar ! 

Your question made me curious as there's two recesses on the underside of the hood and it got me to wondering what went there. So, I grabbed the instructions for the first time and checked it out. There are hinges that glue to the underside of the hood. Whether they're operational or not? Don't know. But, I am going to see if they are or can be made to operate. Looking at the instructions, it looks like they work. Must be where the phrase, "If all else fails, check the instructions!" came from. 

Wow! Been following your great build, yet hadn’t checked back since primer. That colour just sends it out of this ? world! Wonderful.

Cheers Misha

Edited by Misha
Spelling

On 5/19/2020 at 9:41 PM, espo said:

Great looking paint, I'm glad you didn't paint the roof to match like a stocker. This looks much better and the colors work well together. 

No, it wouldn't have looked right with a silver roof. 

4 hours ago, espo said:

Since the 1:1 hood on the Edsel opened in the same manor as the Ford can you modify the Ford kit hinges to work with the Edsel body ? 

No. They work differently. The Ford hood pivots and tucks behind the header panel. The Edsel hood works kinda like a rear mounted hinge would. I could've made a set like I did on this model.

47989229698_18fae36d24_b.jpg

But, it's too late now and I'm fine with leaving it loose.

17 hours ago, slusher said:

Roger, that’s going to be a gorgeous model !

Thanx Carl! I'm hoping so!

2 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

This car in taking shape amazingly well and the interior is top notch!  That's smell good for the next model car show Roger!!!

Thanx Francis! I don't do model shows anymore. There are none close to me that I'm aware of.  

Thanx Steve and David! I've got the engine as far as possible before going into the chassis. The rest will have to come once it's installed. I've had a bit of frustration with the engine that's my fault. I first painted it Chrome Yellow. As soon as I placed it into the engine bay, I was put off by it. So, I had to strip and start over. This time, I painted it with Mica Silver. For some contrast, I painted the cam covers and intake with Tamiya Gun Metal. I really like the way it looks! Especially when placed down into the engine bay. All I've added to the kit engine is a fuel rail, plug wires, headers and throttle body linkage. 

20200525_114537-1.jpg.0c944b15d8f8b22e2b3ef0d4c199113f.jpg

20200525_114833-1.jpg.af0d4e3678d6256f012c80248b2dd275.jpg

20200525_114551-1.jpg.360ab0b33d5e7625dc4ca1696baa40bd.jpg