Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Chevelle Wagon

Spottedlaurel

My first WIP here. As a change from the Japanese kits I've been building for some time I thought I'd give this one a go:

49968822208_c52d933691_b.jpg

1:25 Revell 1966 Chevelle Wagon kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

49969334826_f0c254c1f7_b.jpg

Plans are to build it as something from the mid-late '80s, so period wheels (probably the big and littles from the Fat Fendered '37 Ford) and clean bodywork in a single bright colour, likely to be Tamiya Camel Yellow.

Having looked at a few images online I like the cleaner look of the 300 version rather than the Malibu, so I'm planning to remove some of the chromework along with a bit of shaving and debadging that's part of the look I have in mind. Perhaps smoke the side and rear glass too?

I'm not proposing to do much with the engine, my plans pre-date the widespread fitment of modern fuel injected lumps or pro-touring, so I'll see what I can find in the parts box.

I've got loads of old British and American magazines out in the shed, I'll see what I can find to give me a bit of inspiration.

Managed to stock up on some more primer and matt/satin black paint today so hopefully I can make a decent start on it this weekend.

10 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Looking forward to what you do with it.  I have one in the lllooonnnggg line of to-do's before the sun sets.

Thanks! It won't be anything too radical, I need to keep it achievable and fun.....

I mocked it up on the standard suspension:

49975649748_2aa0cfaa9c_b.jpg

1:25 Revell 1966 Chevelle Wagon by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

49975649773_0b27fe81ce_b.jpg

Front not too bad, probably helped by the smaller wheels, but the back is a little too high. Try it without rear springs, with the inner arches resting on top of the tyres:

49976163356_04172a3a55_b.jpg

49975649678_271ff7af1a_b.jpg

That's better. Front might now need to come down a bit too, just to keep a bit of rake, but it's nearly there.

Can't wait to to at least get some primer on it, so it's a bit easier to photograph, but I need to do a bit of filling first.

That little fin moulding on the bonnet has got to go!

Edited by Spottedlaurel

I look forward to seeing your thoughts on this kit. I have built a couple and have enjoyed them. You mentioned the intent of your build and going to the lower level 300 trim. Exterior wise there are few differences. The most obvious besides the Hood would be on the Tail Gate trim. the 300 being flat without the kits provided chrome trim. Just fill the area in the Tail Gate for the trim. I don't know if you have access to the Revell '66 El Camino kit, but that would provide you with a more accurate flat Hood without the simulated Hood scoop.  

I agree on your points about the stance; you're almost there! Pretty attractive wheel choice, too. I remember fondly some of the 80s hot rod aesthetic, and a clean, monochromatic paint scheme on a shaved body can really make a statement. I would add that blacking out the remaining chrome trim was a popular "euro" look over here as well. By all means, smoke the the rear windows, and paint the engine block/heads the color of the car!

13 hours ago, espo said:

I look forward to seeing your thoughts on this kit. I have built a couple and have enjoyed them. You mentioned the intent of your build and going to the lower level 300 trim. Exterior wise there are few differences. The most obvious besides the Hood would be on the Tail Gate trim. the 300 being flat without the kits provided chrome trim. Just fill the area in the Tail Gate for the trim. I don't know if you have access to the Revell '66 El Camino kit, but that would provide you with a more accurate flat Hood without the simulated Hood scoop.  

My thoughts are positive so far, it's a nice kit. Some thought obviously went into it and it's going together nicely.

Oddly, despite playing 'spot the difference' with 300 and Malibu photos I hadn't noticed the hood scoops! I must admit the flat bonnet does look smoother, but the scoops might be beneficial to my carb set-up and let's say the owner did a bit of mix-and-match upgrading when it was built back in the day......

Tailgate and sills have been filled as you'll see below.

12 hours ago, bisc63 said:

I agree on your points about the stance; you're almost there! Pretty attractive wheel choice, too. I remember fondly some of the 80s hot rod aesthetic, and a clean, monochromatic paint scheme on a shaved body can really make a statement. I would add that blacking out the remaining chrome trim was a popular "euro" look over here as well. By all means, smoke the the rear windows, and paint the engine block/heads the color of the car!

I don't want to to go airbag/hydraulics low, just give it a nice street stance with a touch of rake. I'm not sure about the US, but here I'd say the custom/modified scene was influenced by Cal Look VWs, which included much of what you describe. I'm reading through a pile of my old Street Machine magazines to give me inspiration......

This is where I'm at now after a busy day in the shed - it was rainy, we're in lockdown and my wife needed the computer and wanted to work without distraction so I had the perfect excuse to spend all day and evening out there!

49979749072_99553e171e_b.jpg

49979749047_858ccfbe47_b.jpg

Engine painted orange - oddly the instructions say aluminium, but all the old photos I looked at showed it orange so I sprayed it with Tamiya TS-12. Some colours will be less than authentic, the perils of building when the shops aren't open! As it's been a while since I built an American kit it was fun to get back to the familiar routine of building up the engine halves, adding the heads etc etc.

I don't have a computer out in the shed so this is my faourite reference on 1960s/70s American car builds:

49976148361_3aebcc7ecf_c.jpg

The Great Book of Muscle Cars by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

It's not exhaustive, but it has a good selection and for the level of detail I want to show it's more than adequate.

Quite a bit done on the bodywork - tailgate and sill recesses filled, door handles and locks removed and filled, badges shaved and converted to one-piece front windows, all to give it a smoother look. At the time I know there was a lot of dechroming and colour coding, but I do want to keep a bit of brightwork on it, just simplify where it is and do everything I can to bring out the basic attractive shape (which the box art doesn't portray!). Panel lines have been scribed, although they weren't too bad. Will get some primer on it today.

One thing I didn't consider when I cut out the front quarterlights was that the front screen would also have to be trimmed. I don't enjoy cutting 'glass'! I took a brave pill, picked up the razor saw and knife and managed to cut the screen back without cracking it, phew.

49978969188_9cc0703e9e_b.jpg

Dual carb set-up I believe came from the Monogram '57 Chevy. Since this shot I installed the exhaust manfolds, then found that they have to be fitted quite snug to the block so they might need reattaching.

Lots of interior and suspension components have been painted. Nothing fancy or super-detailed, mostly varying shades/finishes of black and dark grey. May install some individual front seats instead of the bench, found some in the parts box which look appropriate.

When I started thinking about the build of this kit I envisaged it in a period metallic colour with Rally wheels, but I like the alternative direction this is now taking and it reminds me of the cars I used to read about and see at the odd show when I was in my late teens.

Edited by Spottedlaurel

2 hours ago, beeRS said:

Nice work Nigel. I really like where this is going. Wheel/tyre choice is perfect, as is the stance.

80s and early 90s copies of Street Machine magazine are my inspiration too!

Thanks Sonny, it was an interesting time with quite a few different looks going on.

Not so much time on it yesterday, but still made good progress:

49981318673_3ae03ff4a8_b.jpg

1:24 Revell 1966 Chevelle Wagon kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

49982100262_1e4c78581c_b.jpg

This is with it now sitting on the modified suspension. At the front I cut the wheel lugs off the uprights and reattached them higher up, back was easily done by just cutting the coil springs. Surprised to see it didn't have a leaf-sprung rear end. I'm happy with how most of my smoothing/simplifying work has gone.

49982100142_90e5bdc36d_b.jpg

49981318773_c3c83201b7_b.jpg

The radiator support panel is painted in the final Camel Yellow. Can't wait to get some colour on the bodyshell, but it needs more filling first.

On 6/9/2020 at 5:37 AM, bisc63 said:

Looking good!

3 hours ago, Nazz said:

I'm liken' where this is going. I will stat tuned.

2 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Ditto

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

This is looking like a very nice project. Keep up the good work. I built one of these a while back , and chopped the top on it. That was an experience!

Thanks everyone! I'm absorbed in it, even when I'm not working on it much/at all during the week I'm still thinking about how to do things on it.

Bucky, the roof chop sounds brave!

The bucket seats I found are too tall even after I cut some of the base off, so I need to revisit the parts box and see if I have anything else suitable. Nowadays I imagine an owner would be keener on keeping it more original, but back then I can imagine it being modernised with a leather and cloth interior.

Edited by Spottedlaurel

13 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Thanks everyone! I'm absorbed in it, even when I'm not working on it much/at all during the week I'm still thinking about how to do things on it.

Bucky, the roof chop sounds brave!

The bucket seats I found are too tall even after I cut some of the base off, so I need to revisit the parts box and see if I have anything else suitable. Nowadays I imagine an owner would be keener on keeping it more original, but back then I can imagine it being modernised with a leather and cloth interior.

See if you have or can get Revell's '66 El Camino or '67 Chevelle kits. Both would have an OEM set of bucket seats and the consol. The '67 Chevelle SS396 kit also has the optional instrument panel with the factory optional gauge package. 

10 hours ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

Enjoying this one Nigel,  wheels are perfect i really like the idea behind this !

Smoothed , lowered , with billet wheels suits most cars, but a wagon just looks so much longer !

Look forward to seeing more on this, more Brit built customs ! !

Thanks Martin, it's going nicely so far! When I look at the shell I keep thinking of the Victor FD estate, I suppose there was the GM family connection. It was only by chance I found the wheels, I found them in a Monogram Mustang box and I must have been thinking of that as a project at one time.

43 minutes ago, espo said:

See if you have or can get Revell's '66 El Camino or '67 Chevelle kits. Both would have an OEM set of bucket seats and the consol. The '67 Chevelle SS396 kit also has the optional instrument panel with the factory optional gauge package. 

Sounds a good idea, but sadly I don't have either of them. A quick look online shows neither of them are available here at a price that I can justify for the seats alone (and yet another future project which I hadn't planned on). Just about to go for a rummage through a few boxes to see what I can find.....

Edited by Spottedlaurel

Looking good so far.

I have both the wagon and El Camino in the stash so after checking to see if the wagon's bench seat will fit in the Elky I'd be happy to swap my Elky buckets for your wagon bench if you want them. 

23 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Oh man,, I could have fun with that one.

I am!

1 hour ago, TimJ said:

Looking good so far.

I have both the wagon and El Camino in the stash so after checking to see if the wagon's bench seat will fit in the Elky I'd be happy to swap my Elky buckets for your wagon bench if you want them. 

Thanks Tim, that's incredibly kind of you. I'd be very happy to take you up on your offer. See photo below, are you OK with the fact I've given them a coat of satin black areosol paint and glued the back on?

I've spent some time going through my parts boxes and other kits, the best I've come up with is either a those from the Revell Datsun truck or Monogram Datsun 280Z:

49996143241_1d3e91bda3_b.jpg

Bodyshell after more filling and sanding:

49995623248_003fcd3a56_b.jpg

I've shaved the boot hinges as well. Happily I don't have to work out how it would be hinged in real life.....

Should be able to at least get some white base coat on over the weekend, before the Camel Yellow.

Edited by Spottedlaurel

2 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Thanks Tim, that's incredibly kind of you. I'd be very happy to take you up on your offer. See photo below, are you OK with the fact I've given them a coat of satin black aerosol paint and glued the back on?

I'm OK with them being painted, I can always paint over them. Here's (not particularly good)a photo of the El Camino seats to give you an idea of what they look like.

49995943858_fd1e3f149d_z.jpg

DSCF1453 by timothy jones, on Flickr

Nice work on the tailgate, the insert piece seems to have blended in well. 

Edited by TimJ

6 hours ago, TimJ said:

I'm OK with them being painted, I can always paint over them. Here's (not particularly good)a photo of the El Camino seats to give you an idea of what they look like.

Nice work on the tailgate, the insert piece seems to have blended in well. 

Thanks Tim. I don't enjoy filler work, I've never found anything that sands down particularly easily.

I'll send you a PM so we can swap addresses, many thanks for that.

On 6/12/2020 at 7:41 AM, Mattilacken said:

Cool Wagon! keep it going!

On 6/13/2020 at 2:45 PM, slusher said:

Really looking good!

Thanks!

Made reasonable progress on it this weekend:

50006073083_7f43d846a2_b.jpg

1:25 Revell 1966 Chevell Wagon kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

It was ready for a base coat of white paint over the primer, but more filling was required on the bodyshell so only the bonnet ended up being able to get a quick squirt of Camel Yellow today. I'm hoping the grille fitment will be improved when I finally assemble it.....

50006856367_7cb9fac197_b.jpg

Both front and rear suspension are fully installed, so this is how it will sit.

50006599981_51dbc98ddf_b.jpg

The base coat I used was Tamiya's Racing White, as I had some spare and no plans to use it. Looked good, will think about what it could go on in future. This photo slightly flatters my filling of the tailgate, it had more filler and sanding after this shot.

50006599761_cc6eb35ec0_b.jpg

Interior largely there, awaiting the bucket seats which are on their way to me (thanks again Tim!). Loadbay was given a carpet, in reality a bit of wet-n-dry paper painted flat black. It may well get smoked windows, so not much of it will be particularly visible.

50006072843_3f94d80fca_b.jpg

Bodyshell now in the airing cupboard, hoping to get some Camel Yellow on it during the week then I'll take a view on whether it needs a clear coat. If nothing else it will give me a bit less risk of going through to the base coat when I polish it.....