Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

On 3/13/2024 at 8:57 PM, Daddyfink said:

But did he? Just going but what I know. And really, who cares, it all started because of the horrible box art. There, I said it! LOL! 

He did indeedy. It's pretty common knowledge, I've spoken with Jim on the phone more than once about it, and it's in the book about Revell history. Jim Keeler is a very talented cat. And I agree, Atlantis' box is pretty banal.

• Like 1

Mr Keeler was also responsible for not only kit development at Revell but had a fascinating history working for Aurora as well. The Drag Scenes are the most obvious but he had a hand in their slot car program as well. 

Edited by Phirewriter

1 hour ago, Phirewriter said:

Mr Keeler was also responsible for not only kit development at Revell but had as fascinating history working for Aurora as well. The Drag Scenes are the most obvious but he had a hand in their slot car program as well. 

And builder of the Icon model 'Dodge Fever' drag car. I met Jim at NNL Toledo.....a SUPER nice guy.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 7:11 PM, Mark said:

I don't think many people here are refusing to buy the parts pack-based kits just because of the box art.  The point is that Atlantis could do a better job of promoting them by using box art for these, and a few other kits that more closely resembles the original Revell box art.  That's to get the point across regarding the origins of what these kits are, to potential buyers who might be looking for these items but aren't convinced that what Atlantis is selling are the real thing.  The funny car kits will sell regardless of box art, as long as the chosen subjects are good ones.  The Tom Daniel and Ed Roth stuff will sell because they have a built-in following of builders and collectors.  The parts packs have to find the builders who remember them.  The box art would help in that regard. 

You articulated my point better than I was able to. Well said sir. 

• Like 1

Quite frankly, I am amazed that more hasn't been made over the quality and accuracy of the chassis and suspension parts in this Atlantis kit.  While they date back to the 1963 Revell Parts Packs, some of these parts (example: hairpin radius rods) are among the finest and most accurate parts ever found in a 1/25th scale kit.  To me they are almost mandatory for a state-of-the-art top end early drag or 1960s era hot rod build....TB 

• Like 6

As often as we've seen them, the engines are great too; the only nitpick being the magneto location on the supercharged Ford.  The dragster spoke wheels are among the best ever done in plastic.  The other wheels are pretty decent too, though some sandpaper work is needed to knock the ejector pin marks off of the exposed areas.  I do wish they'd run the suspension pack through the metallizing chamber though.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mark said:

As often as we've seen them, the engines are great too; the only nitpick being the magneto location on the supercharged Ford.  The dragster spoke wheels are among the best ever done in plastic.  The other wheels are pretty decent too, though some sandpaper work is needed to knock the ejector pin marks off of the exposed areas.  I do wish they'd run the suspension pack through the metallizing chamber though.

Excellent points as always, Mark!  Cheers....TB

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Quite frankly, I am amazed that more hasn't been made over the quality and accuracy of the chassis and suspension parts in this Atlantis kit.  While they date back to the 1963 Revell Parts Packs, some of these parts (example: hairpin radius rods) are among the finest and most accurate parts ever found in a 1/25th scale kit.  To me they are almost mandatory for a state-of-the-art top end early drag or 1960s era hot rod build....TB 

I agree, completely. The front wheels in the 22Jr. and 22Jr. Roadster kit are easily the best dragster fronts ever kitted! Same for the early Hemi in the Miss Deal kit. The parts pack Dragster Chassis is a dead replica of the chassis Fuller and Ivo built for TV's first dragster. And, as you mentioned, the ancillary parts are excellent, as well! Any of these parts pack-based kits are "hoard-worthy"!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The Garlits dragster was only issued once, and no parts other than the slicks were shared with any other kit.  It probably got overlooked after its only issue.  I'd bet we won't see much drag racing stuff from the "new" Revell, so this kit probably didn't fit into their plans.

“We’re working on some new items” said Atlantis in a vid they posted today - they had a couple of sets of test-shots plus some old kit boxes in the background…maybe some hints at stuff coming down the line soon?

Excuse the blurry images, but it’s hard to get a still from a video…video link here, for anyone interested: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5ZHoPburHb/?igsh=MmlzcnBxcW9tY2Y4

IMG_0053.png

IMG_0052.png

IMG_0054.png

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

“We’re working on some new items” said Atlantis in a vid they posted today - they had a couple of sets of test-shots plus some old kit boxes in the background…maybe some hints at stuff coming down the line soon?

Excuse the blurry images, but it’s hard to get a still from a video…video link here, for anyone interested: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5ZHoPburHb/?igsh=MmlzcnBxcW9tY2Y4

IMG_0053.png

IMG_0052.png

IMG_0054.png

Jim...that's a real cool link.   Guys you need to look closely at this...there is - apparently if my eyes do not deceive me - a bit of pretty shocking (at least to me) info in this video....TB 

41 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Jim...that's a real cool link.   Guys you need to look closely at this...there is - apparently if my eyes do not deceive me - a bit of pretty shocking (at least to me) info in this video....TB 

Intriguing !!

Does anyone with better knowledge than me recognize what the test shots are?

26 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

Intriguing !!

Does anyone with better knowledge than me recognize what the test shots are?

Just from the pictures here, I'm seeing parts from the Revell '62 Imperial, '62 Chrysler convertible, '62 Plymouth, and '62 Dodge Lancer...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Just from the pictures here, I'm seeing parts from the Revell '62 Imperial, '62 Chrysler convertible, '62 Plymouth, and '62 Dodge Lancer...

Great eye, thanks Mark!  I wondered if that was a Newport I saw, but I wasn’t particularly confident in my guess…I’d be stoked if that one was reissued!

Wow, looks like lots of cool Mopars there! Am I seeing what looks like a Johan 62 Plymouth Fury? Or Revellion with a filled-in trunk? Or could it be Revell's classic 62 Dart? Hopefully, this link will go directly to Casey's 2019 post for comparison: