Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

I can imagine using the V8-60 midget's engine to upgrade a T speedster - or downgrade a '37 Ford sedan. Was that engine detailed well enough to do some kitbashing? 

Back on topic. Again, any idea if the Hurst Hairy Olds was obtained by Atlantis, or would Revell have kept it?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

The midget's V8-60 is nicely done, but lacks a transmission as midgets only used an in/out box.  The V8-60 transmission supposedly resembles the regular V8 unit, only smaller.  I've thought about sticking that engine in an Anglia, but have to get the transmission squared away first.

6 hours ago, Motor City said:

I was very excited to see the announcement for the '48 Fleetline Aerosedan (2-door fastback), and was hoping for more variations of the '41-'48 GM body styles.  I would like to do a version of my Dad's '48 Pontiac Streamliner sedan-coupe (2-door fastback).  I guess I'll have to buy another to scratch build that car.  

Chassis would be different between Chevy and Pontiac.

1 hour ago, Brian Austin said:

Chassis would be different between Chevy and Pontiac.

I don't care about the chassis, but everything else.  After all, when a model is on display, who looks at the chassis?  The shorter wheelbase model, the Torpedo, shared the same body as the Fleetline.  Dad had a Streamliner, the longer wheelbase model, with the extra inches behind the door.  I would have to section in a few pieces or just pretend such a difference didn't exist.  

7 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Back on topic. Again, any idea if the Hurst Hairy Olds was obtained by Atlantis, or would Revell have kept it?

The only things Atlantis would have would be tooling that was located in Elk Grove at the time of the sale, less any tooling that was currently/recently in use (aka 1st Gen RX-7, Ramcharger, etc). Also nothing of what is located in China. The last reissue of THE H.H.O. was in 1998 which would put it right on the cusp of whether or not it got sent over, someone who has that last issue would be able to see where it was run that last time.

56 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

The last reissue of THE H.H.O. was in 1998 which would put it right on the cusp of whether or not it got sent over, someone who has that last issue would be able to see where it was run that last time.

If the last 1998 issue was the one with the Linda Vaughn figure, then it may still be stateside - although Linda won't be:

1489203411_hursthairyolds.jpg.d54b6f53688a050574dad5713307e70e.jpg

(from an eBay listing)

On 8/11/2020 at 9:12 PM, Mark said:

The midget is a great kit.  The fanatics bought multiple copies...trouble is, not enough fanatics.  The ones sold at closeout were nearly all the V8-60 version, mirroring the preference of 1:1 Kurtis owners who would nearly all want to own an Offenhauser-powered version provided they could afford one.

What Mark said....this one (the Midget kits) rank either at the top or very close to my list of the best 1/245h/1/25th scale kit of the last decade. 

The subject wasn't really my cup of tea either, but the kit was SO well detailed, yet literally falling together, that I couldn't help but build both versions as soon as they came across my door step.  I never heard that it wasn't a good seller, but given the narrow niche appeal, don't doubt that that turned about to be the case....TIM 

14 hours ago, tim boyd said:

What Mark said....this one (the Midget kits) rank either at the top or very close to my list of the best 1/245h/1/25th scale kit of the last decade. 

The subject wasn't really my cup of tea either, but the kit was SO well detailed, yet literally falling together, that I couldn't help but build both versions as soon as they came across my door step.  I never heard that it wasn't a good seller, but given the narrow niche appeal, don't doubt that that turned about to be the case....TIM 

Count me among the buyers on the Kurtis Midget. It was such a lovely kit and it delivered nearly everything a vintage open wheel fan could want of the subject. 

At the same time, I'm not shocked either that it wasn't exactly a cash cow. More surprising, though, is that the "new tool" Funny Cars - the Hawaiian and the ChiTown Hustler - also seemed to sit on shelves much longer than anticipated. Though quite frankly the best selling Revell race car kit I've had in my shop since we opened has been the IMSA Ford GT. 

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

In the 8/15 email newsletter........

We also will be releasing another Press Release later in the week related to some classic Monogram Snap Kits originally released in the 1970's!

I am guessing the funny cars. Very nice kits for 1/32. There was a Duster, Charger, Mustang, Mustang II, Pinto, Camaro and Gremlin. The originals bring some $$$ on Ebay. The Gremlin being highly desirable. 

2 hours ago, larman said:

I am guessing the funny cars. Very nice kits for 1/32. There was a Duster, Charger, Mustang, Mustang II, Pinto, Camaro and Gremlin. The originals bring some $$$ on Ebay. The Gremlin being highly desirable. 

I forgot that they also made Snoopy, military, airplane and helicopter snap kits. Atlantis might tend to do those before cars.......

2 hours ago, larman said:

There were also several somewhat nice stock-ish 1/32 street cars. I can think of '55 Chevy, '69 Camaro, a Nova, '68-69 GTO, maybe a '34 Ford, a Cobra. I wouldn't mind having a few of these. They're getting hard to find. 

49 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

There were also several somewhat nice stock-ish 1/32 street cars. I can think of '55 Chevy, '69 Camaro, a Nova, '68-69 GTO, maybe a '34 Ford, a Cobra. I wouldn't mind having a few of these. They're getting hard to find. 

I also remember in the late 70s-early 80s a 1/32nd '65 GTO, '65 Mustang 2+2, '65 Barracuda, '69 Charger, '70 Trans Am and others..  have some of the Monogram Snap-Tites from childhood.  Some have been reissued many, many times like the '70 Mustang and '69 Camaro.

Edited by Rob Hall

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

30 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I also remember in the late 70s-early 80s a 1/32nd '65 GTO, '65 Mustang 2+2, '65 Barracuda, '69 Charger, '70 Trans Am and others..  have some of the Monogram Snap-Tites from childhood.  Some have been reissued many, many times like the '70 Mustang and '69 Camaro.

The '65 GTO, '65 Mustang and '65 Barracuda were originally Aurora kits, but were issued under Monogram in the late 70's/early 80's. They weren't snap kits though. The 1/32 Nova, '70 Trans Am, 69 Charger were pretty detailed and accurate with opening hoods and motors, but were not snap kits either. I guess, as always we will see, but after thinking about it,  see my second post, it could very well be non-automotive subjects. ?

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I've seen those in recent years, molded in various types of plastic like glow-in-the-dark and tinted clear.  I'd rathet see the full-detail 1/32 kits like the Nova and Charger...those have engines and better wheels/tires that could find their way onto Pyro and AMT All-Stars kits...

1 hour ago, larman said:

The '65 GTO, '65 Mustang and '65 Barracuda were originally Aurora kits, but were issued under Monogram in the late 70's/early 80's. They weren't snap kits though. The 1/32 Nova, '70 Trans Am, 69 Charger were pretty detailed and accurate with opening hoods and motors, but were not snap kits either. I guess, as always we will see, but after thinking about it,  see my second post, it could very well be non-automotive subjects. ?

Oddly none of those have ever been reissued AFAIK. I think the ‘65 GTO was the only one I had.  

2 hours ago, Mark said:

I've seen those in recent years, molded in various types of plastic like glow-in-the-dark and tinted clear.  

Yah, Walmart had a few of them three or five years ago. I bought a '69 Camaro, and a P-51 Mustang that's something like 1/67 scale. 

On 8/15/2020 at 8:56 PM, Mr mopar said:

Could it be the Snap Tites from Tom Daniel 

Could be, but...

On 8/15/2020 at 8:56 PM, Mr mopar said:

Dune rat,  boss Mustang funny car, and Thunder bug

...I doubt those particular kits. The Thunder Bug I really doubt, as Atlantis mentioned they finally obtained GM licensing, with no mention of VAG licensing. Not necessarily a deal killer, but I would think the Street Cleaner (Camaro), Super Taxi (Nova), Screamin' Vette are at least possible, since Revell-Monogram reissued the first two in 2000.

I suspect Dave is being coy (understandably so) regarding which kits are forthcoming, but I'm betting on the construction series caricature kits-- Screamin' Skipshovel, Mountain Mover, Boss Bulldozer, and Extreme Shovel.