Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

It will be interesting to see what they have. They specifically mention 1/32, 1/24, 1/25 and 1/16 . So no 1/12 or 1/8. Maybe we will see some long lost pre-merger Revell stuff? Like the  the 1982 Firebird SE, or that weird stepside street machine Square body pickup. 

In 1/16 I would love to see the 1/16 Firebird, and the 1/16 IROC. 

We will just have to see. 

11 minutes ago, kurth said:

It will be interesting to see what they have. They specifically mention 1/32, 1/24, 1/25 and 1/16 . So no 1/12 or 1/8. Maybe we will see some long lost pre-merger Revell stuff? Like the  the 1982 Firebird SE, or that weird stepside street machine Square body pickup. 

I wonder if they have anything that modern.   I do remember reading they bought some Revell US-based tooling.... as far as GM and those various scales and the mention of Cadillac, I thought of the 50s era tooling like the '56 Cadillac Eldorado convertible (didn't have a windshield?) and '57 Eldorado Brougham...

11 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I wonder if they have anything that modern.   I do remember reading they bought some Revell US-based tooling.... as far as GM and those various scales and the mention of Cadillac, I thought of the 50s era tooling like the '56 Cadillac Eldorado convertible (didn't have a windshield?) and '57 Eldorado Brougham...

It seems feasible they could have the modern stuff, As far as I know something like the revell 82 firebird was not re-issued in the China production era, so it is feasible the mold made it to the Illinois warehouse after the Revell/Monogram merger and could have been deemed unworthy for re-issue by The new owners of Revell, and then ended up with Atlantis.  Lot of "Ifs" in that scenario, but it is fun to speculate.

I agree, the kits you mention do sound like they are hinted at by the press release. 

3 hours ago, kurth said:

We will just have to see. 

The 1/12 and 1/8 style cars have a more world wide appeal, and I am sure Revell Germany would have no issue keeping them in the lineup. As for the 1/16, odds are they will probably be the Revell Drag Team cars, maybe, and it is a wild maybe, the Aurora Drag Parts kits. 

Monogram also had some pretty wacky large scale stuff, but I don't know if those molds survived all this time. 

2 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Odd...I thought these were often tooled up, and marketed for the holiday season to put something big under the Christmas tree

Model King did an AMT large scale funny car, I believe it was a Vega.  He did it because people were requesting it. A very small and vocal group!

Where most of the 1/25 stuff he did sold out immediately, it took him more than a year to peddle those!

15 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Model King did an AMT large scale funny car, I believe it was a Vega.  He did it because people were requesting it. A very small and vocal group!

Where most of the 1/25 stuff he did sold out immediately, it took him more than a year to peddle those!

Yeah but he's like a speciality dealer/wholesaler, I'm talking about the big box stores the outlet for the weekend modeler and giftshoppers

Edited by Luc Janssens

Sounds like we might get back the '56 Buick and '56 Eldorado Biarritz in 1/32, now with glass for the first time in over 60 years. The plastic tires in those kits were pretty well molded; not sure why they'd want to replace them with vinyl? 

Unfortunately the Buick was last offered as a custom, so the stock bumper/grille would have to be recreated.

I wonder which Oldsmobile and Pontiac they're referring to? Hurst Hairy Olds? 1/32 '67 Firebird snap kit?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

It was the Revell Jungle Jim Vega, and to be honest, Model King stuff was not that easy to find at the time. 

Jungle Jim Vega Funny Car 'The Fire Burnout King' (1/16) (fs)

From what I know, the last Funny put out by Revell in 1/16 did pretty well thanks to newly tooled parts and new markings. 

Revell 1/16 Scale "Hawaiian" 1971/'72 Dodge Charger Funny Car

3 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Now if Atlantis can lock down the Dodge ,Chrysler , Plymouth license ? would be good for us Mopar Fans .

Atlantis newsletter of 8/1/20 said another announcement coming next week......Sounds like Atlantis is ready to become on of the big Dogs.....we\ll see. 

16 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

It was the Revell Jungle Jim Vega, and to be honest, Model King stuff was not that easy to find at the time. 

Jungle Jim Vega Funny Car 'The Fire Burnout King' (1/16) (fs)

Probably because his dealer network didn’t order and distribute them. All I remember Dave sayings he wouldn’t chance any more large scale kits. 

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Probably because his dealer network didn’t order and distribute them. All I remember Dave sayings he wouldn’t chance any more large scale kits. 

I picked up about 4 of them. One every time I attended the California Hot Rod Reunion back in the late 90's until the vendor sold them off! LOL! 

The Revell large scale Drag stuff has gotten a bit more popular again due to the aftermarket catching up some with decals and parts. Especially tires to replace the notoriously disintegrating Revell tires! 

Dave isn't too wild about large scale stuff in general.  A couple of years ago at NNL East, he gave me a great deal on a then-new Revell of Germany 1/16 scale VW bus kit.  I don't know if he had to take it in order to get some other items, but he seemed to be on a mission to sell it.

The other issues Model King Dave has is:

Limited space. I've been to his biz.......it is packed. Large scale takes that much more space.

Cost/price. Private issue kits were paid up front. A HUGE investment with lots of risk.

R2 and Revell no longer allow private issue kits so that is not an issue any longer anyways! 

Moebius will stay away from large scale automotive kits. 

On 7/31/2020 at 6:56 PM, Daddyfink said:

The 1/12 and 1/8 style cars have a more world wide appeal, and I am sure Revell Germany would have no issue keeping them in the lineup. As for the 1/16, odds are they will probably be the Revell Drag Team cars, maybe, and it is a wild maybe, the Aurora Drag Parts kits. 

Monogram also had some pretty wacky large scale stuff, but I don't know if those molds survived all this time. 

I hope the Monogram "Big Drag" makes a comeback.... Have you guys seen what they go for on eBay????... ??

What an item sells for on eBay and how well it would sell if reissued are two entirely different things.  A handful of people outbidding one another for a single item does not translate to thousands of sales.

21 hours ago, Mark said:

What an item sells for on eBay and how well it would sell if reissued are two entirely different things.  A handful of people outbidding one another for a single item does not translate to thousands of sales.

Exactly. Usually such models are rare because nobody wanted them when they came out. I used to collect record albums. Some of the rarest and highest priced ones I owned were cut-outs. (Marked down for clearance via hole punching or clipping the corner of the cover). That said, the Big Drag would be a welcome reissue. I'd like to see it as a build option for a Big T reissue. But my guess is Revell still has that tool.

Edited by Dave Darby

It's funny that the Big Drag kit came up.  My older brother did a bunch of wheeling and dealing on eBay.  At a swap meet, he bought a Big Drag kit that was absolutely mint.  I remember him saying that he'd just seen one sell for $1,000 the week before.  All that week, he was talking about that thousand as though he had it in his pocket already.  Of course, the thousand dollar sale brought one or two others out during the week to compete against his.  And with the thousand dollar buyer now no longer looking for one, his got something like $600.

On 7/31/2020 at 6:56 PM, Daddyfink said:

Sadly....the Aurora Drag Parts Kits tools no longer exist.  This topic is briefly touched on in a new book that will be coming out in a few weeks....  TIM 

4 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Sadly....the Aurora Drag Parts Kits tools no longer exist.  This topic is briefly touched on in a new book that will be coming out in a few weeks....  TIM 

And....what still exists. .....has become a commodity!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Aurora-Racing-Scenes-Complete-Set-of-8-Model-Kits-Brochure-sealed/303633708541?hash=item46b1fab5fd:g:T64AAOSwcoNfHMGw