Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

On eBay, there are some Atlantis kits for sale of the Red Baron, Tarantula, King Chopper, and the Mr. Gasser Ed Roth kit, all in Atlantis packaging. There are also several military type kits listed. I did an eBay search for Atlantis kits and found these.

I just saw the Sinclair gas truck, and the Angel Fink kits.

Have any of these been previously announced?

Edited by Bucky

54 minutes ago, Bucky said:

On eBay, there are some Atlantis kits for sale of the Red Baron, Tarantula, King Chopper, and the Mr. Gasser Ed Roth kit, all in Atlantis packaging. There are also several military type kits listed. I did an eBay search for Atlantis kits and found these.

I just saw the Sinclair gas truck, and the Angel Fink kits.

Have any of these been previously announced?

All were announced last year, Been out.

Atlantis has a 'casual' way of doing things.......we have to be on their schedule. 

I wonder how much that one-quarter-scale Slant Six would retail for these days , assuming that all of its major components are "there" ? 

I could see a limited run of that engine ( maybe 500 or so copies ) , as it doesn't have the broad appeal to most (except for us Gen-X and older folks ) . 

Maybe a "stripped-down" version of it would sell better ? In theory its retail price could be lower since its contents would ostensibly be lesser than its full-regalia counterpart .

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

I have that Revell Slant Six and I think it would be a bear to bring to market.. aside from the plastic molded parts there are wires, bulbs, screws, clips and a bunch of other parts that would all need to be sourced or made.

Exactly . That's why I proposed a "stripped-down" iteration ; something sans all of the bells & whistles of the original . I believe that something like that would sell in limited numbers .

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I have that Revell Slant Six and I think it would be a bear to bring to market.. aside from the plastic molded parts there are wires, bulbs, screws, clips and a bunch of other parts that would all need to be sourced or made.

For what it’s worth, the Revell V8 is a stripped down Renwal Kit without all of its electronics or even transmission , look how good it sells every time they rerelease it. 

Rats. Just a bit slower on the draw.;) 

They represent Aircraft, Ships, Sci-Fi, Wildlife, Antique Guns, Figures and Science Subjects.

...that don't have big licensing fees like cars? Wonder who owns the Darracq copyright? tango_face_grin.png.481c72224814601032ab3723f2e020d9.png 

Edited by ChrisBcritter

That's just what the market needs...an "assortment of eclectic historic kits"...

Round2 is probably high-fiving themselves all over the office to stop having to store all that old junk and turn a profit in the process.

Do we have enough eclectic vintage builders left to make this work for Atlantis though...

7 minutes ago, Matt Bacon said:

Those Pyro antique pistols are pretty cool, as I recall...

best,

M.

I wonder if the do-gooders will allow them to be produced though.  There are a few companies in Japan that produce replica - usually 1/4 scale - firearms of various types, and most vendors will not export them to the U.S.

6 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

That's just what the market needs...an "assortment of eclectic historic kits"...

Round2 is probably high-fiving themselves all over the office to stop having to store all that old junk and turn a profit in the process.

Do we have enough eclectic vintage builders left to make this work for Atlantis though...

Which is GREAT news to us automotive modelers because it means more financial breathing room for Round-2, which can be used to:
- a) pay of debt (but doubt that)
- b) generating a bigger operational budget so they can take on bigger resto, resto-mods, and maybe even all new endeavors. (which is much more to my liking and likely)

This news also takes away much (not all*) of my critique towards Round-2 and not only gives me, but I'm sure many automotive modelers a ray of hope, something we can all use in these unreal times!
So really and I mean REALLY the best news in a couple of months and a great move on part of the people of Round-2!

Luc

*some of the mediocre releases which IMHO are detrimental to this wonderful hobby we all love, and hope to continue doing till our last breath.

Edited by Luc Janssens

2 hours ago, RSchnell said:

I for one am curious as to what Atlantis picked up. I build space & aircraft kits in addition to cars. Also like kits of unusual subjects.

The Varney and Adams tooling is interesting. Yes....it ain't what we may have hoped for....but for those of us that LIKE old odd kits.....maybe good thing! Don't be such negative Nancy. Atlantis is selling a lot of kits through Hobby Lobby and getting folks that may not see kits anywhere else. THAT is a good thing. 

3 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I wonder if the do-gooders will allow them to be produced though.  There are a few companies in Japan that produce replica - usually 1/4 scale - firearms of various types, and most vendors will not export them to the U.S.

A couple of them reappeared in Lindberg boxes a few years ago at Ollie's. Pirate flintlocks, or something of the kind. 

Pyro only ever did a couple of those guns of any interest whatever to me. One was a Colt Single Action Army. I actually have one, half-built. Should dig it out and finish it. I think they also did some kind of Winchester lever-action rifle. I'd like to have one of those. 

There was a company named LS in Japan that did a lovely line of 1:1 scale model guns in the early '70s. I think the last time I saw them was in the late '80s. They were always pretty expensive. I have one of their Walther P.38s. 

56 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

There was a company named LS in Japan that did a lovely line of 1:1 scale model guns in the early '70s. I think the last time I saw them was in the late '80s. They were always pretty expensive. I have one of their Walther P.38s. 

Indeed, me and my brothers had a few of those, they were in ABS plastic but luckily the glue for that was included in the box.