Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

42 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

The Mercedes 500K "Luxo rod" might actually be worth while, though I really hope there's a set of fenders for it.  Even as is, it's a set of parts for someone wanting to restore an old 500K, and I know the hot rod and custom crowd loves the wheels on those.

?Those kits were planned to be stock versions with instructions to 'Rat' or hot rod them. 

7 hours ago, Dave Van said:

I;d be happy if Atlantis picked up the stuff Moebius was looking at. When I got test shots and they talked about new interiors I was thrilled. Then...dropped. All the JoHan stuff that was in storage needed work.....from cleaning and tuning to half the kit missing. But some of the stuff would be GREAT to have back and COULD serve Atlantis well.....just have to see....Atlantis plays it very close!! 

Moebius never had them. I was told that those those particular Jo-Han molds were / are  in the possession of someone in the eastern U.S. and Moebius couldn't get the desired legal assurance of exact ownership for them and efforts to keep in contact with the possessor came to naught.

Edited by ZTony8

5 minutes ago, ZTony8 said:

Moebius never had it. It's in the posseesion of someone in the eastern U.S. and Moebius couldn't get the desired legal assurance of exact ownership for it and efforts to keep in contact with the possessor came to naught.

I know that....but the tool shop that has all this tooling did open it up and run tests. I got some of those as I was doing some work for them. But the project never made it past that step. 

19 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I thought they said no Monogram or Aurora......:wacko:

That was the wording correct......but I understand all the assets RM  USA  had stateside, that they did not want to transfer to Revell GmbH ( this included Aurora, Renwal etc), was already done. I just did not list each in my post. 

23 hours ago, CabDriver said:

A good detective would probably be able to match those numbers on the tooling to old kit part numbers and figure out what they might have there ??‍♂️ 

It's not that easy. If you Google search for "3068" (third mold back, left row), we get the Ideal #3068 Rolls-Royce:

IdealRR3058.jpg.384c4f22b7f803a3b7e0837353345bd7.jpg

Ideal3058RollsRoyce.jpg.b020e0349ad8b957756530794d047ed1.jpg

Not great, but is that number even correct? Is Ideal the correct company matched with that number? No idea.

As Dave Van mentioned, some of these molds are too small to be 1/24 or 1/24 car/truck kits, so while we tend to think of automotive subjects here first (as we should), there may be nary an automotive kit within this lot.

I don't see much of anything in the image which is clear nor distinct enough to take along for a deep dive down the Google rabbit hole in search of a possible scoop.

Edited by Casey

35 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

I know that....but the tool shop that has all this tooling did open it up and run tests. I got some of those as I was doing some work for them. But the project never made it past that step. 

Can you show a pic of what you got?

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Would love to see the Valiant (and Lancer ?) ; the Dart returned to stock form . What other '62 Chrysler kits did Revell produce ?

'62 Chrysler Newport convertible (got two I'm trying to salvage) and '62 Imperial Crown four-door hardtop (got one nearly finished). It's possible the Newport mold may have mag wheels as it got those in its second issue (the Metalflake series). They're not as crisply molded as the Jo-Han Chrysler 300 and AMT Imperial coupe were, but still very buildable and good-looking.

Thing is, at least according to Ron Sexton, Atlantis already has the Mopar molds (minus tires and glass).

Edited by ChrisBcritter

11 hours ago, Casey said:

As Dave Van mentioned, some of these molds are too small to be 1/24 or 1/24 car/truck kits, so while we tend to think of automotive subjects here first (as we should), there may be nary an automotive kit within this lot.

No so fast! Remember that Johan molds were smaller than the other manufacturers and were run on older smaller equipment. That was one of the reasons these molds weren’t attractive to some buyers 

Jo-Han, like AMT and MPC, did the bulk of their business in promotional models, then made many of them available as kits.  While AMT and MPC fought over the big money promo contracts like Chevrolet, Ford, and Pontiac, Jo-Han ended up with the minor players like AMC, Cadillac, and Oldsmobile.  They did have Plymouth (but not exclusively) through 1970 and Dodge through 1964.  The items they did weren't always appreciated when they were new, but Jo-Han was the only game in town for a lot of items that will never be done by anyone else.  Their interiors, chassis, and engines weren't always the greatest, but body shapes and engraved details were always among the best.  Their classic cars and Chrysler Turbine Car kits would be considered among the best car kits even if they were brought out today.

20 hours ago, kurth said:

Right, I meant the whole Testors  collection of molds from various sources, I should have been more clear. 

But Testors again never had possession of anything, they just put stuff in a box and sold it.  You're not going to get tooling from Fujimi and Italeri that they're not only still in ownership of, but are still actively using.

2 hours ago, dbostream said:

What is it about Jo-han kits that make people excited? I am not saying there is nothing to be excited about I am just not very familiar with them. I have seen it on other forums as well not just here.

The power of lost love!!!! For me it's going into a hobby shop and seeing all those odd JoHan kits and wishing I'd bought a lot more of them!!!

I do agree that most of us will not like what these tools are for......just a bet.....

Edited by Dave Van

2 hours ago, dbostream said:

What is it about Jo-han kits that make people excited? I am not saying there is nothing to be excited about I am just not very familiar with them. I have seen it on other forums as well not just here.

As others said, they had promo contracts so the bodies were very accurate.  Interiors are a bit shallow and they mostly had undetailed undersides. 

I think the aura is that the company and the motherlode of their tooling is considered long gone.  So we get excited that something may have surfaced.

3 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

But Testors again never had possession of anything, they just put stuff in a box and sold it.  You're not going to get tooling from Fujimi and Italeri that they're not only still in ownership of, but are still actively using.

Not even the Hawk and IMC molds?